IM and Comrades

Wheelsuck

Doing Comrades to this year after IM. Anyone done it before? any advice or training programme that you can share.

Comrades will be my first....so not to sure if I should be upping running prior to IM or use the time after IM to just hit the distance.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing Comrades to this year after IM. Anyone done it before? any advice or training programme that you can share.

Comrades will be my first....so not to sure if I should be upping running prior to IM or use the time after IM to just hit the distance.

I am also considering doing this. Will have to find an entry first.

Well, I have not done IM yet, but have done a couple of Comrades.

My suspicion is that you are a good marathoner, as for IM training you should be able to comfortably run a marathon. My feeling is that if you, after IM, are able to fit in at least 2 LONG runs (55k +), then you should be A-away!

Well, I have not done IM yet, but have done a couple of Comrades.

My suspicion is that you are a good marathoner, as for IM training you should be able to comfortably run a marathon. My feeling is that if you, after IM, are able to fit in at least 2 LONG runs (55k +), then you should be A-away!

Ok so IM is 6 April

Comrades is 1 June

That gives us 8 weeks. You rest 2 weeks after IM. You taper 2 weeks (not long runs) to Comrades. That gives us a 4 week window of opportunity to do these 2 x 55km runs and perhaps 3 x 120km weeks.......

Ok so IM is 6 April

Comrades is 1 June

That gives us 8 weeks. You rest 2 weeks after IM. You taper 2 weeks (not long runs) to Comrades. That gives us a 4 week window of opportunity to do these 2 x 55km runs and perhaps 3 x 120km weeks.......

Sounds about right?!? :)

If I could swim, I would have attempted this too!!!

Edited by dee_biker

Ok so IM is 6 April

Comrades is 1 June

Yep sounds like a plan Garf...good feedback, I guess if if we have IM in the body then it will be okay. Just also remember we have to do a damn seeding race as well-or am I wrong?

I am doing IM and am at my limit in terms of work/life/training.

Good luck with Comrades fellows!

Yep sounds like a plan Garf...good feedback, I guess if if we have IM in the body then it will be okay. Just also remember we have to do a damn seeding race as well-or am I wrong?

IM will count as a seeding race if I am correct. I think however you have to go under 5 hours for your run.

Well I am running 3 x marathons before IM so that should just about do it.

Any advice on how I can get an entry into Comrades?

That's the problem with IM training, takes up so much time.

Comrades training is easier than IM training, once a day is more than enough not like IM where you end up doing 2 or 3 sessions a day sometimes.

Same here. I was also considering this, but after IM I will have to focus on my family, otherwise I might come home to an empty house one night. Maybe 2015.

Comrades training is easier than IM training, once a day is more than enough not like IM where you end up doing 2 or 3 sessions a day sometimes.

Well the thing for me is I am doing IM and Roth on 20 July. So Comrades will be smack bang in the middle. Might just as well scratch it off my bucket list. After Comrades I just cycle and do some speed work...

There is always next year for comrades, if you going to do it may as well prepare properly for it.

IM will count as a seeding race if I am correct. I think however you have to go under 5 hours for your run.

Well I am running 3 x marathons before IM so that should just about do it.

Any advice on how I can get an entry into Comrades?

My brother has a Comrades entry that he is willing to part with...

PM me and I will put you in contact with him.

Peter Pan...

Edited by The German

Plus all the niggles along the way! I am being held together at the moment with Transact. Its becoming a full time job ontop of another full time job.

Every doc or physio will say niggles need rest but obviously rest means no training and no training at this stage is almost not feasible.

Any advice out there from IM finishers regarding niggles and rest?

Plus all the niggles along the way! I am being held together at the moment with Transact. Its becoming a full time job ontop of another full time job.

Every doc or physio will say niggles need rest but obviously rest means no training and no training at this stage is almost not feasible.

Any advice out there from IM finishers regarding niggles and rest?

If you're not a super-human, you learn to run with niggles... I have done all my Comrades with over-use injuries... That's why I stopped. Can train much longer and harder on my bike without any issues.

Lets for argument sake agree that you want to actually race Comrades rather than survive it.

Now lets assume that for IM you are going to do the following:-

Swim: 10000m swimming so lets say 31/2 hours.

Bike: riding approximately 10 hours a week leading up to IM

Run: If you are wanting to do comrades then you will need to do a couple of 120km weeks, but you can,t jump to that from say 60 - 70 km training for IM. Instead you will need to build to 90km for a few weeks prior to IM as a minimum. So lets argue that the average speed is 5min/k for the said weekly milage that now means you have to 18 hours of running.

So prior to IM your weekly training load is going to be around 31.5 hours a week or almost 20% of your weekly hours. Lets allow 40 hours a week for work, 7 hours sleep a night = 49. That leaves you 6:5 hours a day to commute to work, eat, talk to spouse and try and keep some semblance of a life. Hell that is hard core.