[Event] Tour Durban

Impi Concept Events

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can I find route or description thereof? The website reference to google maps not useful.

Where can I find route or description thereof? The website reference to google maps not useful.

Decided to travel for this one, Looking forward to a great freedom weekend!

2013 event map and elevation below

I travelled up from cape Town for this race last year. Stayed in some dodgy hotel on the strip., but loved the event. Fully recommend it.

post-39984-0-70340700-1394657748_thumb.png

post-39984-0-35365600-1394657729_thumb.png

I did this one last year. Both my Garmin and my girlfriend's showed an elevation gain of around 900m. Not sure how accurate these devices are, but judging by my average speed on what was a relatively windless day, I definitely think the elevation is more than 650m.

Note: The Racetec average speeds are exaggerated, the distance covered was 101km - not 105km. I averaged 37.1km/h. Racetec has me doing 38.65km/h.

Totally agree with you re distance covered, I had just over 100km, so the speeds reflected on racetec are unrealistic. Not sure how the organisers managed to lose 5km, very bizarre :eek:

I've heard good things about this race but never done it myself due to it overlapping the Panorama weekend. The fact that it's full road closure is a massive plus!

You should be in surgery, or rehab, or somewhere sterile and very far away from anything resembling a cycle event :ph34r:

Same route. Total ascent 643m

For 105km???...

Some say 900, others 643, mine comprises at 770. :whistling:

Edited by Brogue

from strava elevation is 900

650 is way to little elevation in my mind

also doing this one for the first time, full road closure attracted me after the scares we had at the ride for sight and the carnival incident

post-40795-0-46126100-1394778481_thumb.png

For those out of towners, the second half of the race will be Fast. That’s if you've been able to stay with the bunch going over the top into Pinetown.

Going to be one of those races where you absolutely burn it up the climb to make sure you're not dropped, then lots and lots of time to recover in the bunch before the finale.

from strava elevation is 900

650 is way to little elevation in my mind

also doing this one for the first time, full road closure attracted me after the scares we had at the ride for sight and the carnival incident

post-40795-0-46126100-1394778481_thumb.png

Howdy Rasta,

Agree, 650 is too little but 900 seems a tad much. Does your Garmin 810 elevation profile match strava's estimate for this race in particular, and all activities in general? Mine doesn't, Garmin is faaar more accurate.

I don't trust Strava's elevation calculations, they're exaggerated (at best). I recently had a chat to Strava regarding this. After the Argus I noticed Strava elevation profiles for rides recorded by an iPhone App were almost double the accepted "norm" elevation for the Cycle Tour. Below is their wishy washy reply.

Anyway, my convoluted point is that I'd rather trust my Garmin data than Strava's pie in the elevation sky.

"https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20965883-Elevation-for-Your-Activity

To give you a quick summary, when a rider records his or her activity with the Strava iPhone App, we look up the elevation in databases, using the activity's GPS data to tell us where the activity took place. For activities located outside of the US, we consult the ASTER and SRTM databases. The article describes some of the issues with using elevation databases.

It is important to remember that elevation data from all sources (barometric altimeters, GPS signals, and databases) is subject to error and that the elevation gain for an activity is an estimate. We are always working on improving our elevation data sets and algorithms."

Howdy Rasta,

Agree, 650 is too little but 900 seems a tad much. Does your Garmin 810 elevation profile match strava's estimate for this race in particular, and all activities in general? Mine doesn't, Garmin is faaar more accurate.

I don't trust Strava's elevation calculations, they're exaggerated (at best). I recently had a chat to Strava regarding this. After the Argus I noticed Strava elevation profiles for rides recorded by an iPhone App were almost double the accepted "norm" elevation for the Cycle Tour. Below is their wishy washy reply.

Anyway, my convoluted point is that I'd rather trust my Garmin data than Strava's pie in the elevation sky.

"https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20965883-Elevation-for-Your-Activity

To give you a quick summary, when a rider records his or her activity with the Strava iPhone App, we look up the elevation in databases, using the activity's GPS data to tell us where the activity took place. For activities located outside of the US, we consult the ASTER and SRTM databases. The article describes some of the issues with using elevation databases.

It is important to remember that elevation data from all sources (barometric altimeters, GPS signals, and databases) is subject to error and that the elevation gain for an activity is an estimate. We are always working on improving our elevation data sets and algorithms."

agreed which is why the strava activity I used soruce is garmin.

But I also picked up abnormalities with the argus elevation profiles, from my garmin and for my wife strava app which runs on android..

Well its somewhere between 900 and 650 then, there is only one way to find out

Anyone doing the Cyclocross?

Me! Me!

Very excited about this one.

Did anyone do it on a cyclocross bike last year?

Guest Frail4Life

Anybody able to help with results for last year?

Trying to gauge the field, times for different Groups.

I see this event has now moved to Monday, the 28th of April.

No. Event is definitely Sunday 27 April. They are just highlighting the fact that the next day is a public holiday. Bit confusing, I must say.

Its on Monday

aQuellé Tour Durban moves to holiday Monday

Durban - The organisers of the hugely popular aQuellé Tour Durban cycle race have moved their event one day later to the public holiday on Monday 28 April, avoiding a potential clash with another event happening in Durban.

Race director Stu berry confirmed that the aQuellé Tour Durban road and cyclo-cross races will now take place on Monday 28 April, after negotiations with regional authorities following news of another major event coinciding in Durban on the Sunday.

"Due to a political parade that will be taking place on the same day at the same venue, city officials and race organisers have identified a potentially unsafe situation of staging two national events concurrently at the same venue," said Berry.

"A joint decision has been made to move the aQuellé Tour Durban to Monday 28th April, a public holiday.

"All existing entries will be contacted and afforded the opportunity to get a full refund should the new date not suit them,” he added.

The race entry has risen sharply in recent years, mainly due to the return to it's popular format, and the guarantee of total road closure to ensure the cyclists safety on the roads.

Participation in the event rose even more sharply last year with the event's confirmation as an official qualifier for the Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Challenge.

"Safety of every single rider has always been a cornerstone of the aQuellé Tour Durban," said Berry.

"We have also prioritised the needs of the city's residents, and tried to keep inconvenience from the road closures to an absolute minimum.

"This year with two major events scheduled to take place in close proximity, there were too many variables for us to maintain confident that we can safeguard everyone involved in the race, so the decision was taken to move the race out by one day, to the public holiday Monday," said Berry.

"The race has always enjoyed the benefits of being staged on the long weekend at the end of April, and this year we were able to take advantage of the holiday Monday in our efforts to ensure we minimise inconvenience to the residents of Durban, who have consistently supported the event over the years.

Berry confirmed that the event will remain unchanged, with a 105km road race starting at 6:30 am, a 55km cyclo-cross event at 8 am and the popular 45km ride starting at 8:15am, all starting and finishing at the Moses Mabhida stadium.

The aQuellé Tour Durban road races takes place on Monday 28 April 2014 . More information can be found at www.tourdurban.co.za

ENDS

Its on Monday

aQuellé Tour Durban moves to holiday Monday

Durban - The organisers of the hugely popular aQuellé Tour Durban cycle race have moved their event one day later to the public holiday on Monday 28 April, avoiding a potential clash with another event happening in Durban.

Race director Stu berry confirmed that the aQuellé Tour Durban road and cyclo-cross races will now take place on Monday 28 April, after negotiations with regional authorities following news of another major event coinciding in Durban on the Sunday.

"Due to a political parade that will be taking place on the same day at the same venue, city officials and race organisers have identified a potentially unsafe situation of staging two national events concurrently at the same venue," said Berry.

"A joint decision has been made to move the aQuellé Tour Durban to Monday 28th April, a public holiday.

"All existing entries will be contacted and afforded the opportunity to get a full refund should the new date not suit them,” he added.

The race entry has risen sharply in recent years, mainly due to the return to it's popular format, and the guarantee of total road closure to ensure the cyclists safety on the roads.

Participation in the event rose even more sharply last year with the event's confirmation as an official qualifier for the Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Challenge.

"Safety of every single rider has always been a cornerstone of the aQuellé Tour Durban," said Berry.

"We have also prioritised the needs of the city's residents, and tried to keep inconvenience from the road closures to an absolute minimum.

"This year with two major events scheduled to take place in close proximity, there were too many variables for us to maintain confident that we can safeguard everyone involved in the race, so the decision was taken to move the race out by one day, to the public holiday Monday," said Berry.

"The race has always enjoyed the benefits of being staged on the long weekend at the end of April, and this year we were able to take advantage of the holiday Monday in our efforts to ensure we minimise inconvenience to the residents of Durban, who have consistently supported the event over the years.

Berry confirmed that the event will remain unchanged, with a 105km road race starting at 6:30 am, a 55km cyclo-cross event at 8 am and the popular 45km ride starting at 8:15am, all starting and finishing at the Moses Mabhida stadium.

The aQuellé Tour Durban road races takes place on Monday 28 April 2014 . More information can be found at www.tourdurban.co.za

ENDS

My apologies. Certainly does not say that on the website as below.

"The event will take place on Sunday 27th April 2014. The public holiday falls on the Sunday, which means that Monday 28th April is a holiday. Schools are on holiday on the Tuesday and Wednesday, and then Thursday 1st May is a holiday and schools are closed on 2nd May. It's sizing up to be a perfect KZN holiday opportunity, and a chance to enjoy the superb weather at this time of year with family and friends!"

I have emailed the organizers to ask them to clear it up. Either way, I am amp'ed for this, especially after I lost my legs on the Argus.

My apologies. Certainly does not say that on the website as below.

"The event will take place on Sunday 27th April 2014. The public holiday falls on the Sunday, which means that Monday 28th April is a holiday. Schools are on holiday on the Tuesday and Wednesday, and then Thursday 1st May is a holiday and schools are closed on 2nd May. It's sizing up to be a perfect KZN holiday opportunity, and a chance to enjoy the superb weather at this time of year with family and friends!"

I have emailed the organizers to ask them to clear it up. Either way, I am amp'ed for this, especially after I lost my legs on the Argus.

Stu Berry did a talk for our cycling club and he said last night that it has been moved to the Monday.

Just hope everything will be clean after Sunday's ANC event

Edited by garrethk