Crank Brothers Candy

l4y3rcake

So I thought it would look cool to get my pedals and grips to match my colour scheme(green) and switched from spd's to candys. I now battle to get my cleats un-clipped. I have played around with the cleat position as stated on the manual that came with the pedals but am still getting the same result.

My questions are:

Do the springs stretch, making it easier to get out?

Should I just put the SPD's back on?

Would my shoes play a role in this? (North Wave Striker Carbon)

post-42431-0-86796400-1389956198_thumb.jpg

Springs do not stretch, try swapping cleats around. They are made to have a bigger clearance on one side, think it is cleat with 2 dots are on left foot

I also suffered from the same issue, but if you add the shim under the cleats on your shoes or simply shave off some of the soles on your shies it should sort it right out!!!

PS the good pedals just need lots of care and maintenance!!!

• 1 month later...

So I thought it would look cool to get my pedals and grips to match my colour scheme(green) and switched from spd's to candys. I now battle to get my cleats un-clipped. I have played around with the cleat position as stated on the manual that came with the pedals but am still getting the same result.

My questions are:

have you installed the little black shim you got with the pedals?

it fits between the cleat and the shoe

PS the good pedals just need lots of care and maintenance!!!

If you keep them away from High pressure cleaners and aggressive solvents, they require minimal maintenance.

Most of the "maintenance problems" we pick up are from people who have had their bikes cleaned after races

The Bike Stores rarely use High pressure cleaners these days, as headset and BB bearings also don't like them

They do say that the cleats will "break-in" after a few rides, I've got a pair of Candy 2's and had one slow topple over due to not being able to uncleat on my first ride, but it's definitely gotten easier over time.

My questions are:

Quick question:

Are you battling to un-cleat due to the cleat being to tight in the pedal? (This has to do with the spacing of the cleat in relation to the sole of the shoe. ie. the closer the cleat is to the shoe the more contact the tread on your shoe will have with the pedal and thus it will be stiffer and harder to un-cleat).

or

There being to much float with the cleat thus you are having to kick your heal out further in order to get the cleat to disengage? (This has to do with the shape of the cleat and Crank Bros do make different cleats with different amounts of float. if you are used to Shimano SPD's then I would suggest you get a pair of the "No Float" cleats this will allow the cleat to disengage with a lot less heal movement).

Both scenarios answers are correct

The "limited float cleat" is available separately from the pedals you bought.

New Crank Brothers Pedals are supplied with the Premium cleat

Nothing wrong with Crank Brothers reliability or back-up. I switched from Shimano coz Crank Bros is much easier to get in and out of when its muddy.