Snakes on a trail

canadonis

I heard someone asked their doctor what they should do if they got bitten on their Fish River Canyon hike. Apparently he said they should go and sit down next to their friends so that they at least don't die alone.

No, no. The doctor said that he recommends smoking cigarettes. Not because it helps for the snake bite, but because it is the only time he's reasonably sure it won't have an adverse effect on your long term health. ;)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A mate of mine has a house on game farm in north west near Brits, husband and wife were out cycling. He rode over the back end of a black Mumba and his wife got see what the business end looked like as she was just behind her husband. She was airlifted out to jhb and survived

Came across black mambas 3 times at giba gorge in in durban,first time I could have reached to my left and picked it up,trail was elevated on one side so was at about waist height,snake spooked and went in opposite direction I was traveling,and used my mate behind mes front tire as support to get across the trail and into the bush,I can honestly say its the fastest iv ever sprinted!

Giba has helicopter landings spots cut into the bush at various points for evacuations and markers so you can call and accurately state where on the trails you are.closet anti venom is at st augustines almost 30min drive away.

Giba still some of the best riding I ever had though!

Hi guys

Thanks fr ur experiences and anecdotes, wow must admit some had the hair on the back of my head standing up. Cippo thanks for your knowledgable constructive input especially the emergency numbers. To the cannondale puffie dude hmmm crazy man even trained herpetologists give puffies a wide berth with the correct equipment. Keep experiences coming, is there antivenin tht we as cyclists can carry to reduce the devastating effect in puffie case reduce tissue damage; Cippo you seemed to be the most informed on this topic or anybody else that can share information.

So... Is Darren still with us? And how'd he part ways with his slitheryn friend?

Can't just chuck the puffadder, surely it'll go for you while it's still airborn! Crazy! :(

No, no. The doctor said that he recommends smoking cigarettes. Not because it helps for the snake bite, but because it is the only time he's reasonably sure it won't have an adverse effect on your long term health. ;)

Note to self, carry a cigarette, just in case.

So Wessel-Louis(hubname),Sidewinder (lol) and myself along with wife and daughter were riding in a private game farm in the Waterberg this December. We were on a sand road (shuttup we were looking for singletrack). Riding down a hill around a right hand bend Wes turns on his saddle and starts shouting and pointing. He has my full attention but I can't quite make out what he is saying? "Brake" why? what...? I stop about 40m down the road as a small tortoise crossing the road comes into view.

"Dude, you nearly rode over a black mamba!!!" Well, Sidewinder and myself nearly rode into its reared head. Apparently about 15cm away. Fortunately daughter and wife followed Wes around the tail. Was extremely vigilant for the rest of the time riding there.

Hi guys

Thanks fr ur experiences and anecdotes, wow must admit some had the hair on the back of my head standing up. Cippo thanks for your knowledgable constructive input especially the emergency numbers. To the cannondale puffie dude hmmm crazy man even trained herpetologists give puffies a wide berth with the correct equipment. Keep experiences coming, is there antivenin tht we as cyclists can carry to reduce the devastating effect in puffie case reduce tissue damage; Cippo you seemed to be the most informed on this topic or anybody else that can share information.

Anti-venom is hell expensive and you need a specific one here and there. You do get 'do-it-all' polyvalent ones which cover most snakes. Only Tygerberg hospital and Red Cross Childrens hospital keeps it afaik. The stuff just ends up expiring in there fridges. Hospital care is mostly supportive, putting you on a ventilator if its a neorotoxic venom like Cape Cobra, paralysing your body so you stop breathing. Puffie's cause massive tissue damage and bleeding. Anti-venom has been known to cause more damage than good in some people. The one snake handler at Ratanga once was said to be allergic ti anti-venom.

General procedure when bitten by a snake... Curl up and die.

First bite the snake back. Then you curl up and die

Looking at the photos of Icycling I wonder.

Have anyone in the Lycra-clothing -manufacturing sector tested their products against snake bites?

Lycra sits tight on the skin and is smooth/ slick. If one adds a thin "metal weave" to a Long Johns style bib you will get a bite-proof garment. This type of bib will also protect one against thorns and sharp grass seeds.

Wonder of something like this is possible?

Anti-venom is hell expensive and you need a specific one here and there. You do get 'do-it-all' polyvalent ones which cover most snakes. Only Tygerberg hospital and Red Cross Childrens hospital keeps it afaik. The stuff just ends up expiring in there fridges. Hospital care is mostly supportive, putting you on a ventilator if its a neorotoxic venom like Cape Cobra, paralysing your body so you stop breathing. Puffie's cause massive tissue damage and bleeding. Anti-venom has been known to cause more damage than good in some people. The one snake handler at Ratanga once was said to be allergic ti anti-venom.

Thanks for info, as scary as the thought of encountering a snake is and with walmer weather attracting them into paths which increases the risk for cyclists we need to be prepared on the way forward if a cyclist is bitten. Continuing cycling for help will only further increase the spread of toxins due to elevated heart rate, is this correct?

Looking at the photos of Icycling I wonder.

Have anyone in the Lycra-clothing -manufacturing sector tested their products against snake bites?

Lycra sits tight on the skin and is smooth/ slick. If one adds a thin "metal weave" to a Long Johns style bib you will get a bite-proof garment. This type of bib will also protect one against thorns and sharp grass seeds.

Wonder of something like this is possible?

Hmmm, kevlar impregnated clothing with some carbon ascents.