Eating after a long race

If you're going to have burger/boerie roll then after the race is the best time to have it without feeling guilty. Within 30 mins if possible.

WHAT ABOUT ALL

:whistling: THOSE BEERS YOU DRINK OOM WHAT THEY FOR :whistling:

I leave 2 frozen chocolate Steri-stumpie in my car which I have asap. When I get home i have a whey-protein shake. Consuming more proteins has you feeling fuller for longer. Plan your meals especially if you are trying to lose weight. If you don't you just gonna eat the first thing you come across or stop at a McD's. If you have to stop at takeaways go for the healthier option like Nando's.

DIPS I smashed a Spur burger and 2 x beers after atta and it tasted sweet :thumbup:

after atta you could finish all the beers and still be ahead

I normally have those 32GI chews and I also have the tablets which I consume during the race. Before the race, I eat the 32GI foodbar. I've tried taking bars with me during the race but I just cannot eat it while I cycle.

Maybe change the before race foodbar for the following, oats with 1 scoop whey protein mixed with milk. Mix whey and milk first. I find if I use oats before the ride then I don't want to eat a complete boerewors stand after the race

you got to eat. At best you can consume 30% of the energy that you burn while riding. i.e if you ride for 4 hours and burn 3000 Calories in the process, then you would (by eating chews, banana's and energy drink) only be able to consume a maximum of around 1000 Calories during the ride.

That means that your body still wants (and needs) 2000 Calories to get back to square 1, hence the reason why you are getting cravings.

If you want to lose weight, then you need to put back less, but if you want to keep your weight constant then you can eat whatever you feel like.

People on a LCHF diet will say that you should not consume carbs, but what it boils down to is eat whatever your body is used to and what you feel like, essentially your body tells you through cravings what it needs.

Cannot believe we as weekend warriors/fun-riders discussing "what to eat after a race" to lose weight!?

Common guys...eat healthy during the week and at least reward yourself to eat what you want after the race! If there is one day in the week that you can treat yourself then it is after a race.

I can understand if you have 8% body fat and aim for a world champs podium where every gram counts...but to punish yourself like that as a fun-rider is insane.

To sum it up: The pro's (international and local) is most properly more relaxed about eating habits than you guys regarding this topic. #waytooscientific

Edited by AuctionLamb

Overeating after a race, craving for food the whole day and easy carbs satisfy these cravings the best. Sure, its okay to have a cheat meal after a race but to scoff down food the whole day is a bit unnecessary. From my personal experience if I don't eat anything during a hard race I overcompensate and eat junk the whole day.

Maybe change the before race foodbar for the following, oats with 1 scoop whey protein mixed with milk. Mix whey and milk first. I find if I use oats before the ride then I don't want to eat a complete boerewors stand after the race

I'll try this. I should probably eat a lot more before the race to prevent cravings but again, I struggle to eat at 5:30am. I should maybe take something with me to eat while I'm in my chute.

Cannot believe we as weekend warriors/fun-riders discussing "what to eat after a race" to lose weight!?

Common guys...eat healthy during the week and at least reward yourself to eat what you want after the race! If there is one day in the week that you can treat yourself then it is after a race.

I can understand if you have 8% body fat and aim for a world champs podium where every gram counts...but to punish yourself like that as a fun-rider is insane.

To sum it up: The pro's (international and local) is most properly more relaxed about eating habits than you guys regarding this topic. #waytooscientific

That's the thing though. I feel like I'm undoing all my hard work of eating healthy during the week. Unless I've got it all wrong which I think I do given some of the posts in here.

Yes, I am trying to lose weight. Sorry, should've mentioned that in my first post. Thanks for the advice. I'll look into something along these lines.

Bjarne Riis diet - ride 6 hours, 2 litres fizzy water, 2x sleeping tablets. Probably not very good for you, but then neither was any of the other stuff he was doing.

Lots of different opinions here, but everyone is unique so to be expected.

I like to prepare a whey protein shake before I leave home that I drink as soon as I finish. I am also often waiting for friends so I head back to the car change, drink shake and then go back to the race area. While waiting I "try" to get a stretch in.

When the rest finish we normally smash some beers and a burger while waiting to NOT be chosen win in the luck draw.