[Event] GP Koning Roller Coaster League & Funride 2014

cronje.fourie

Event Name: GP Koning Roller Coaster League & Funride 2014
When: 2 February 2014
Where: Falsebay Rugby Club, Constantia, Western Cape
Category: Road

Both routes head out along Spaanschemat River Road and over the eastern side of Ou Kaapse Weg to Sun Valley. The 85 km turns right towards Kommetjie and continues along the coastal road via Scarborough towards Cape Point, heading back via Simon’s Town, Fish Hoek, Kalk Bay and Boyes Drive to finish in Ladies Mile Extension with a neutral zone back to the venue.

After climbing up and over Ou Kaapse Weg, the 49 km route continues straight over Black Hill before joining up with the long route at the Black Hill/Simonstown road intersection to head back to the finish.

Go to Event Page

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Long route Profile.

The final Funride before Cycle Tour is BAY CITY. The same route will be used except Bay City will incl the real Slangkop Climb at the Lighthouse.

I wonder why the cost of Rollercoater (R160) is quite a few dollars more than the others. #justsaying

post-3512-0-77609300-1390419813_thumb.png

So does this one go left towards Ocean View (basically reverses of the Argus etc) or all the way to Kom' and up that nasty little rise above the Kom / outer Kom?

So does this one go left towards Ocean View (basically reverses of the Argus etc) or all the way to Kom' and up that nasty little rise above the Kom / outer Kom?

Correct. Left @ Oceanview. Bay City has that nasty climb.

The 2012 original Rollercoaster route included OKW x2....that year the winning time was 3:10.

Hi guys...

Due to City Council and Traffic, we are no longer allowed to use Ou Kaapse weg twice. Trust me it was a struggle for us to get one way access :)

Not sure what you mean by "the real Slangkop climb" our route follows all the way from Kommetjie through to Scarbourough and Cape Point, past the Slangkop light house :)

Regarding the entry fee. Please understand we are a charity organisation and every cent we make out of this race will be going back into community upliftment. We don't have large sponsors backing us so the bills for traffic management (which are HEFTY) needs to be paid by us.

I do also wonder how many of the other rides on the calendar are using and paying marshalls from under priviliged communities and half way houses in an attempt to help the people who need the most help.

Please come and support us, we need your support :)

BTW Did I mention the grand prize in the lucky draw is worth around R20000 :)

@ cronje.fourie. As said before, the entry fee is a bit steep, but this will be the first time I'm riding the Roller Coaster so I'll pay the entry fee (also good to know it will go towards a good cause)

The Roller Coaster is one of the Southern Suburb Classic's pity that we cannot do Ou Kaaps twice, but with all the recent road works and traffic congestion in the south just to be racing there again is a treat (Lets hope that we can keep racing there in the future).

Thanks for your reply Cronje. I'm also quite happy to pay the 160 as the event is on my doorstep. It surely beats waking up extra early and driving thru to either Paarl, Wellington or Stellenbosch.

For Rollercoaster I have NO PETROL COST (LOL).

As for the route descriptions, I assumed your event does not include the climb at the lighthouse in Kommetjie based on this description :

"Both routes head out along Spaanschemat River Road and over the eastern side of Ou Kaapse Weg to Sun Valley. The 85 km turns right towards Kommetjie and continues along the coastal road via Scarborough towards Cape Point, heading back via Simon’s Town, Fish Hoek, Kalk Bay and Boyes Drive to finish in Ladies Mile Extension with a neutral zone back to the venue".

Now see the route description for Bay City :

"The long route turns right towards Kommetjie and participants will pedal through Kommetjie and up the Slangkop climb to follow the road around to Cape Point, coming back via Simon’s Town, Fish Hoek and Kalk Bay. At Kalk Bay, turn left onto Boyes Drive. Turn left onto Westlake Drive and continue to Steenberg road, passing Ou Kaapse Weg and returning via Spaanschemat road to finish in the Ladies Mile extension. There is a neutral zone back to the venue".

Bay City clearly states : "pedal through Kommetjie and up the Slangkop climb"

Edited by DMC007

Hi DMC.

I see what you mean now. I think BayCity goes through Kommetjie along Beach and Lighthouse road.

We head up the steap climb going out of Kommetjie via Main Road and on past Slangkop.

This may be where the confusion came in. I apologise for any prior misleading remarks :)

Glad to know we have your entries Stone & Wannabe.

Looking forward to seeing you guys on the day.

Long route Profile.

The final Funride before Cycle Tour is BAY CITY. The same route will be used except Bay City will incl the real Slangkop Climb at the Lighthouse.

I wonder why the cost of Rollercoater (R160) is quite a few dollars more than the others. #justsaying

Never understood these elevation diagrams, what does the % on the top mean? Its not like the TDF that shows AVG gradient for the section.

OKW only once ...... :thumbup: ......

Dont like OKW .... amnd doing it twice in one day was terrible..... but i came back every year .... :drool: ....

See you all at the event.......

@ DMC .... dont forget to push me up OKW when you pass me. ..... :whistling:

The 2012 original Rollercoaster route included OKW x2....that year the winning time was 3:10.

I rode SV in 2012 and our winning break of 2 was away 70km from top of OKW and finished in 2:23, made it by 18 seconds, and elite winning time was 2:18

I rode SV in 2012 and our winning break of 2 was away 70km from top of OKW and finished in 2:23, made it by 18 seconds, and elite winning time was 2:18

Sorry Luke, my Bad. It was indeed 2:18.

Cheaper to play golf these days. Just saying.

no one stopping you, just saying!

looking forwards to this one, as DMC said petrol costs from my side will be zero randelas :thumbup: