[Event] GP Koning Roller Coaster League & Funride 2014

cronje.fourie

In case anybody missed it on the event mailer...fun riders and league riders must keep their groups apart. If you riding "A" fun ride and you catch Cat 3 you need to either pass them or stay an acceptable distance behind them. There has been occasions where league riders have benefited from fun riders as well as the other way around.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Frail4Life

All you Guys Must Enjoy.

Sorry I will not be in the mix.

See you all next weekend.

Looking at the start times... there will be around 12-13minute gap between CAT3 and A-C

What a scenic race with favorable wind!

HOWEVER......

I have never ever felt so unsafe during an event as I did today!

The marshals were completely incompetent and seemed more interested in their cellphones and the stones on the ground, rather than protecting the cyclists or guiding the traffic. Our group was verbally abused by numerous motorists and no marshal was in sight to help out.

I can count 6 times where cars just stopped in front of us and the group (+40 riders) had to dart dangerously around the car and swerve into oncoming traffic. My parents (Who were watching the race) later informed me that the bike marshal was sitting at the back of our group on his phone,. My parents also helped marshal a bit as an accident was becoming inevitable. Once the race was completed we were then guided to a gravel road with two exits, no marshal (surprise surprise) was present and we had to guess which way to go to reach the rugby club again. On my way home I saw the two marshals at the bottom of boys drive (Lakeside) picking up stones and chatting on their phones, not giving two hoots about the cyclists entering main road at speed or the cars in main road!!!!! This blows my mind, surely cyclist safety comes first! Then to top it off I was given half a cup of coke at the end and told I wasn't allowed anymore! This on top of a poor personal cycling performance left me fuming!

I do not mind paying R160 for a "charity" based race. However, when my safety comes into question I will not stand for it! I know that I am not the only person who is extremely upset by the level of incompetence and lack of safety during the race!

You will struggle to get me to attend this race next year!

Could the supervisor or anyone in charge please email me at shabou08@gmail.com , so that we can discuss this issue further.

What a good race I had. Nice doing that neck of the woods again. Very happy to have been able to survive the climb up OKW, with the 2nd bunch, we were never going to catch the break.

Things you don't want to hear from the announcer as your group is about to start: "There isn't road closures. It's a dangerous route. Obey the rules!"

Yeah, and what about the ******** motorists who can't wait 30 seconds for a safe opportunity to overtake a small group of cyclists partaking in a race on a Sunday morning? The attitude of most motorists seriously stinks. Since when is overtaking a right? You're supposed to wait until it is safe to do so. As for the adrenaline junkies on their "super" bikes who think it's cool to come flying past cyclists really close. So sad...

It's a great ride/route. But I totally agree re: safety. The Pedal Power Association seriously needs to do something about it in an event like this.

There were cars flying up and down Ou Kaapse Weg, hooting and driving insanely close to the riders (front of group H).

Intersections with traffic lights weren't marshaled (even though there were marshals nearby), so you pretty much had to stop and wait to make sure it was safe to cross.

They could do with employing fewer people who stand around near the start groups (as if you need marshals there?)

There's nothing wrong with not having a full road closure, but what about bike marshals riding with the groups? It felt like a free-for-all out there.

I cannot see how the R160 entry fee is justified. To think Bay City Cycle tour in a few weeks time is only R90 (for PPA members).

Going to email them re: the safety as it was unacceptable.

What a scenic race with favorable wind!

HOWEVER......

I have never ever felt so unsafe during an event as I did today!

The marshals were completely incompetent and seemed more interested in their cellphones and the stones on the ground, rather than protecting the cyclists or guiding the traffic. Our group was verbally abused by numerous motorists and no marshal was in sight to help out.

I can count 6 times where cars just stopped in front of us and the group (+40 riders) had to dart dangerously around the car and swerve into oncoming traffic. My parents (Who were watching the race) later informed me that the bike marshal was sitting at the back of our group on his phone,. My parents also helped marshal a bit as an accident was becoming inevitable. Once the race was completed we were then guided to a gravel road with two exits, no marshal (surprise surprise) was present and we had to guess which way to go to reach the rugby club again. On my way home I saw the two marshals at the bottom of boys drive (Lakeside) picking up stones and chatting on their phones, not giving two hoots about the cyclists entering main road at speed or the cars in main road!!!!! This blows my mind, surely cyclist safety comes first! Then to top it off I was given half a cup of coke at the end and told I wasn't allowed anymore! This on top of a poor personal cycling performance left me fuming!

I do not mind paying R160 for a "charity" based race. However, when my safety comes into question I will not stand for it! I know that I am not the only person who is extremely upset by the level of incompetence and lack of safety during the race!

You will struggle to get me to attend this race next year!

Could the supervisor or anyone in charge please email me at shabou08@gmail.com , so that we can discuss this issue further.

What group were you riding in?

Here are the contact details for the Pedal Power Association: http://www.pedalpower.org.za/index.php/contact-us/

Edited by mikkelz

Gutted I missed the race, bout of gastric kept me locked in the sheds all of yesterday and god knows what would have happened if I'd ventured out on a bike!

It's the southern suburbs, didn't you know, everyone is very, very important and much more important than you. ;)

Gutted I missed the race, bout of gastric kept me locked in the sheds all of yesterday and god knows what would have happened if I'd ventured out on a bike!

It's the southern suburbs, didn't you know, everyone is very, very important and much more important than you. ;)

It's the first "race" in the Southern Suburbs I've done since 2011. And you're right, the attitude of motorists was actually very different compared to that in Stellenbosch/Wellington/Durbanville, etc.

I was involved in a minor crash (main bunch of A-C) on the final left turn to the finish zone as cars were obstructing the left lane pausing for the traffic light.

My bike is okay! Phew!

I rolled to the mats with adrenaline pumping as it was close to serious disaster.

Safety was a definite concern today.

Intersections were poorly managed.

Hope no one got seriously hurt as it was risky business out there.

It seems that drivers were also very impatient and lacked common courtesy.

I'll send a note to the organisers and PPA, supporting org.

Edited by ' Dale

It's the first "race" in the Southern Suburbs I've done since 2011. And you're right, the attitude of motorists was actually very different compared to that in Stellenbosch/Wellington/Durbanville, etc.

I've got to go to the in-laws exactly where the race ends now on Ladies Mile ext. Bloody cyclists, going to mess up my day and make me wait. Pah!

The safety on this route was terrible. The marshals had no idea how to marshal. What a waste of money paying them! Makes me so grateful to the rotatians that normally marshal the races!

Some intersections no Marshals, some marshals on phones, some waving traffic into cyclists. Will only do this event next year if proper marhsals are sourced.

Race was fun and scenic though. Really enjoyed the ride from the F group, managed to catch E and some D. 2:33 in the end really great riding with mates :)

I really try not to moan about events cos I have an idea about how hard it is to organise an keep everything shipshape on our roads, but I almost got taken out coming through Fishhoek, and it was also adrenalin rush of note.

Firstly, you can't have so few 'Cycle race in progress' signs, and you can't have them off the side of the road below the level of the road where you can barely see them.

The Marshall were shocking ... Even some of the Metro police were confused. But I have a suspicion that that they just have their hands full with total, utter '530d's who drive on our roads. Yes, it is a small minority, but there were some serious candidates for euthanasia out there today

one of the back guys got hit by a taxi going through a robot cause the marshal wasn't paying attention.

hope he's alright

that is absolutely ridiculous :cursing:

hope cyclist ok!?

so where are the clowns to defend the high cost of policing and marshaling at events?

shocking news :thumbdown: