Trails: summer vs winter

Raydek

As I started mtb this past spring and have never ridden in the wet before, I was wondering which trails are best to ride in winter? I assume that riding in the muddy wet is a bit more tricky than the dryness of summer?

Oh, I'm in Cape Town.

Go out and ride them all! Its awesome riding the same trail in different conditions and getting a different experience.I love riding after its just rained! Doing cutties round corners manualing through mudy water and getting dirty is great fun.its what its all about!

I almost only ride in winter, dont see any problems/anything different with trails in winter, in winter they come to life!!!

I hate riding in summer heat, haha

The cape trails are often sandy which makes for great wet weather riding. Sticky, orange mud, on the other hand, should be avoided!

Sticky, orange mud, on the other hand, should be avoided!

Excuse my ignorance, but why? Just difficult to ride through?

I find the Durbanville Hills trails much nicer in winter because everything is green and beautiful. In summer they get very hot and dusty with the southeaster blowing you all over the place.

Tokai is also better in winter because the lower parts get sandy in summer but is solid in winter. I ride Tokai all year round though, come rain or shine. Tokai is fairly weather resistant, drains quickly after heavy rains and don't have much mud.

Stellenbosch, and Wellington trails are good all year round, but get seriously hot in summer, so go early.

Grabouw is also good all year round, but beware immediately after heavy winter rains as it can be very slippery and muddy in parts.

I find the Durbanville Hills trails much nicer in winter because everything is green and beautiful. In summer they get very hot and dusty with the southeaster blowing you all over the place.

Tokai is also better in winter because the lower parts get sandy in summer but is solid in winter. I ride Tokai all year round though, come rain or shine. Tokai is fairly weather resistant, drains quickly after heavy rains and don't have much mud.

Stellenbosch, and Wellington trails are good all year round, but get seriously hot in summer, so go early.

Grabouw is also good all year round, but beware immediately after heavy winter rains as it can be very slippery and muddy in parts.

Thanks????

Tokai firms up very nicely in winter. Jonkershoek is good all through, thanks to the different soil type you get down that side.

Agree with this. Tokai in winter just seems faster. Moisture keeps the trails nice an tight, you get better grip, and you can really rail the bends. Only prob is the roots and rocks get a bit slippery, but that's a minor detail.

Also its really awesome when you're on the higher trails in the clouds.

Excuse my ignorance, but why? Just difficult to ride through?

Those are the slippery and snotty parts. That's where you'll lose traction despite the gnarliest knobbliest tyres and end up on your ear! If there is green mossy stuff growing on it in the shady parts, then be even more careful. That will cause you to go down faster than you can say ****!

Those are the slippery and snotty parts. That's where you'll lose traction despite the gnarliest knobbliest tyres and end up on your ear! If there is green mossy stuff growing on it in the shady parts, then be even more careful. That will cause you to go down faster than you can say ****!

Right!!! Good to know....

So it seems people prefer winter riding... Wouldn't have thought....

Mtb in the Western Cape is better in winter, no doubt. Road is better in summer. That's why most of our Mtb races are in winter and most road races in summer.

Edited by DJR

Agree with this. Tokai in winter just seems faster. Moisture keeps the trails nice an tight, you get better grip, and you can really rail the bends. Only prob is the roots and rocks get a bit slippery, but that's a minor detail.

Also its really awesome when you're on the higher trails in the clouds.

Couldn't agree more.