70.3 Finishers Shirt

davem

I did copy Ironman on my mail to Merrell. No response from them. I had hoped that you would understand my logic about improving next year's shirt. Sort of a consumer activism thing.

As to the second part, please see above. I think you are just trying to bait me now.

PM sent so I don't troll your thread

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell Gustav. I did not mince my words:

Dear Merrell

I found this email address off the Merrell South Africa web page. You present no other contact details.

As a finisher is this years race, I am wholly disappointed in the Finishers Shirt presented to me. The shirt is branded as sponsored by Merrell.

The shirt is a T Shirt of the quality used at political rallies.

I am astounded that as a premium performance sports apparel manufacturer, you would put your brand to a T Shirt that is suitable for car washing. And by this I mean polishing the body work, not wearing while washing the car.

You have done your brand a great dis-service by associating with such a poor quality product. Perhaps in research for future events, you should investigate the 5150 Finishers Shirts which are of great quality and which you see at events and gyms long after the event has passed.

Yours faithfully

Good day,

I’d like to add my voice to those who are not satisfied with the quality of the finisher’s T-shirt made available at the race last weekend.

The print work lacks creativity, is of low quality and after one wash it already looks old. In addition, the fact that there were no ladies-specific shirt is unacceptable. The shirt creates the idea that it was added as an afterthought with as little as possible attention to detail. It does not reflect the high quality and standards experienced by us athletes in the other race elements. I’ve never seen Merrell products of such low quality either.

I, for one, am not someone walking around in finishers T-shirts. I’m objecting to the quality because I see it as a waste of money. It would’ve been far better to offer proper quality shirts for sale, while giving nutrition or the opportunity to download some photos for free in the place of the current shirt. At least one can use that. Few people will wear these shirts.

Otherwise, thank you for a great race.

Regards,

You still going to be wearing them when you 80. Because that was the last time you gonna catch me.

Indeed Dave. I have worked on my swim so I probably wont catch you ever again... :ph34r:

Dave you have a right to complain/rant. I agree with you if you feel the shirts are crap let someone know.

What I do not agree with though. You are skipping Ironman out of this problem. Why? You didn't pay Merrel for your finishers shirt you paid IMSA.

There was a thread open about Ironman 2014. Many discussed their views on the new course and the new amount of people that would be taking part this year and your words were go train you have hills to climb. So what makes one rant different to another is my question to you.

Perhaps a separate thread for ranting about Ironman course (and fees for that matter) would have eased all the tension in that thread - I had no problems with the course being discussed - what irked me was people accusing others who had enter they were stupid, crazy, drinking cool aid ect - especially since that hadn't even entered. . People are obviously entitled to their opinions but in that instance most people just wanted to be positive and share in the excitement of the event.

I did actually take it up with Triangle (Ironman) regarding the shirts

Did you see the shirts? Would you have been bleak?

Good day,

I’d like to add my voice to those who are not satisfied with the quality of the finisher’s T-shirt made available at the race last weekend.

The print work lacks creativity, is of low quality and after one wash it already looks old. In addition, the fact that there were no ladies-specific shirt is unacceptable. The shirt creates the idea that it was added as an afterthought with as little as possible attention to detail. It does not reflect the high quality and standards experienced by us athletes in the other race elements. I’ve never seen Merrell products of such low quality either.

I, for one, am not someone walking around in finishers T-shirts. I’m objecting to the quality because I see it as a waste of money. It would’ve been far better to offer proper quality shirts for sale, while giving nutrition or the opportunity to download some photos for free in the place of the current shirt. At least one can use that. Few people will wear these shirts.

Otherwise, thank you for a great race.

Regards,

not true, my domestics son is wearing it as we speak :whistling:

Or your arse?

not true, my domestics son is wearing it as we speak :whistling:

I already have toilet paper with little puppies on it, and my domestic only has a girl FOR WHICH THERE IS NO SPECIFIC SHIRT.

Stop playing with my emotions. Boeta is die bliksem in.

Perhaps a separate thread for ranting about Ironman course (and fees for that matter) would have eased all the tension in that thread - I had no problems with the course being discussed - what irked me was people accusing others who had enter they were stupid, crazy, drinking cool aid ect - especially since that hadn't even entered. . People are obviously entitled to their opinions but in that instance most people just wanted to be positive and share in the excitement of the event.

I did actually take it up with Triangle (Ironman) regarding the shirts

Did you see the shirts? Would you have been bleak?

I didn't see this years shirts no. I did receive one last year though. Had the same issues everyone else did. Didn't bother me much to be honest.

Guest Latent Blue

If you, like me, are unhappy with the Finishers T Shirt, put your name here and please take the time to send an email to Gustav Nefdt at Medicus Shoes (the Merrell SA agents). gustav@medicus.co.za also copy athleteservices@ironmansouthafrica.co.za.

By adding your voice, the message will be clearer.

I have received the following response to my complaint:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding your Merrell Finishers shirt at this years Ironman 70.3 event. I am terribly sorry that you are not happy with the quality of the T-shirt you received at this years event, your comments have been noted.

The T shirt received is made from 100% Cotton with a weight of 180gms, which is of a far higher quality than other cotton tee’s which normally weigh in at 140gms to 160gms.

With the upcoming Ironman 10 year finishers shirt, we have used the highest quality, design and fit and we are already working on a new design and fabric for the 2015 Ironman 70.3 event.

Kind Regards

May we see a picture of the shirt in question please?

Hopefully they saving the extra cash for the full iron shirts :whistling: .

Not good to hear about the shirts but you got to admit they do run a pretty awesome event.

Ps. Well wishes going out to the families/friends that lost their loved ones last year at 70.3...cant believe it's been a year already.

I didn't see this years shirts no. I did receive one last year though. Had the same issues everyone else did. Didn't bother me much to be honest.

What bothered me most was that I had to wait in a line (in the rain) to get it. That wasted time as I could have got into the beer or Spur line instead :blush:

May we see a picture of the shirt in question please?

I don't think a picture will demonstrate the poor quality on the shirt

I think what is most frustrating about the shirts for me is the fact that i have seen the dissappointment 1st hand! 1st year I got a great shirt at 70.3 and Full. My wife was enveous due to the fact that she didnt finish her event due to dehydration!

She worked her butt off to get that finishers shirt in 2013....to wear it with pride. And what happens, The shirt looks great but washes out. So, her shirt is lying in the cupboard.....dissapointed that she doesnt have one to wear. Promises that it will be better quality in 2014.

And what happens.....she gets a shirt thats 5 sizes to big due to the fact that they dont make ladies specific cuts...

To me that is crappy! Yes, some people dont give a crap about the shirt, others do and they wear it with pride. I for one still wear my 70.3 and Full IMSA shirtt with pride!!

"Dear Mr ......

Thank you for your enquiry regarding your Merrell Finishers shirt at this years Ironman 70.3 event. I am terribly sorry that you are not happy with the quality of the T-shirt you received at this years event, your comments have been noted. Please be advised that we worked very closely with Ironman in which the split between mens and ladies tee’s in the correct sizes were produced according to the final number of entrants and I do apologise if you did not receive your correct size.

The T shirt received is made from 100% Cotton with a weight of 180gms, which is of a far higher quality than other cotton tee’s which normally weigh in at 140gms to 160gms.

With the upcoming Ironman 10 year finishers shirt, we have used the highest quality, design and fit and we are already working on a new design and fabric for the 2015 Ironman 70.3 event.

Kind Regards

Gustav Nefdt.