First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

Oh and the first port of call on the first volunteer build / maintain day - that flippin dh3 / vasbyt intersection that was discussed on vleisboek.

That's an easy fix. Cut in a berm on vasbyt to remove that small loop. Disaster avoided. Cos we all know the maintenance team can build berms. Roots, dh2, dh3, vasbyt, boomslang and mamba are testament to that.

Can something be done about the berm on the DH2 (I think), at the junction to between that and Lizzard?

Come done the DH the obvious line is to take the berm..... and then.... your on Lizzard???!!??

There is only a sign way afterward indicating the DH.

If need be I can post a pic of what I mean.

The committee and trail build leaders need to decide on the plans before they are implemented.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can something be done about the berm on the DH2 (I think), at the junction to between that and Lizzard?

Come done the DH the obvious line is to take the berm..... and then.... your on Lizzard???!!??

There is only a sign way afterward indicating the DH.

If need be I can post a pic of what I mean.

The committee and trail build leaders need to decide on the plans before they are implemented.

Here's what you do....as you come out of the chute from the previous left hander, aim left for the rock at the root of that pine there, float the rock and hang a right! Well, that's what Pottie told me to do anyway...worked the first time! After that, I realised how close 780mm bars come to that pine...now I go straight! and slow!

Here's what you do....as you come out of the chute from the previous left hander, aim left for the rock at the root of that pine there, float the rock and hang a right! Well, that's what Pottie told me to do anyway...worked the first time! After that, I realised how close 780mm bars come to that pine...now I go straight! and slow!

I have no problem riding there as I know where the trail goes. Though I did have a "What the hell" moment the first time I saw the berm and almost took it.

But somebody riding down for the first time would very likely ride the berm and end up on the contour.

Hey Dave, That was put there at the request of Duran and several other DH riders. It delineates the trail quite well and while it is on the main line it was put there for a very good reason - To split the Trails definitively and to provide another obstacle on the trail if you're taking dh2

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

That was put there at the request of Duran and several other DH riders. It delineates the trail quite well and while it is on the main line it was pit there for a very good reason as well. To split the Trails definitively and to provide another obstacle on the trail if you're taking dh2

Which is fine, but it's not obvious to someone who hasn't ridden it before or doesn't ride the trail often.

Better positioning of signage would help

Yeah agreed. For the moment though, parks and the sign makers are working to find a solution to the baboon problem and the signage while trying hard to stay away from the "cage type" enclosure which was used previously. No more signage is going up until a viable solution has been found. If it comes to the cages being the only viable solution then that's what will have to be implemented, but that's a last resort.

Also - the new signs explicitly say "inspect first" on all the DH runs. Yes I know the baboons have ruined them now but that point stays. First time down and run you should be inspecting the trail anyway - common sense really

Yeah agreed. For the moment though, parks and the sign makers are working to find a solution to the baboon problem and the signage while trying hard to stay away from the "cage type" enclosure which was used previously. No more signage is going up until a viable solution has been found. If it comes to the cages being the only viable solution then that's what will have to be implemented, but that's a last resort.

Also - the new signs explicitly say "inspect first" on all the DH runs. Yes I know the baboons have ruined them now but that point stays. First time down and run you should be inspecting the trail anyway - common sense really

common sense should not be considered to be a common skill

Yiu are so right.

As sad as it is, it's no longer common.

Therefore plan signage and design signage to the lowest denominator

A legend at the gate would, so inexperienced people riding the trails actually know what they're looking at.

it has been. Can't get more obvious than "inspect first"

Sadly the baboons had other ideas. So the guys in charge of the signs are looking at alternative solutions to ensure the signs stay in place. Until a solution is found, no more are going in - I said this earlier as well...