First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

Would it be worth getting someone from Sanparks to give a quick talk at the AGM?

Not a bad idea at all!!!

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Myles has been added back. He was supposed to be added back yesterday. Innocent mistake.

Flowta, I am not asking for his membership to be reinstated. That he was banned for posting what we are in agreement of means that there is a problem with what we believe is the solution.

Was his banning consulted with anyone who has tried making things work on this forum?

I have looked at the list of likes attached to the explanation and it seems several members of this forum and I&AP's are in agreement that it transpired. Please explain.

Some more thoughts on last nights meeting (again, keep the future in mind):

6. Everybody say they understand the complexity of building trails in a National Park, but I get the distinct feeling that very few people actually do. The information is this regard is often conflicting and lots of half-truths, guesswork and hearsay make it near impossible to form an accurate picture of the process. People then get angry because they perceive either Parks or TokaMTB to be at fault, or they think they can make a tortoise go like a hare if they tried it themselves. Parks is an organization that moves so slowly and cautiously, progress is sometimes imperceptible. I would love someone who really knows his stuff to give a 5 minute talk at the AGM to explain to everyone present, at the same time, so they can hear the same thing, in simple terms, exactly what the Tokai process involves and how it works.

I would like to hear more comments, especially on how others feel we should proceed

I don't know whether it is wise to invite someone from San Parks to the AGM.

There are 2 issues here:

1. The representivity of Tokai MTB.

2. Why is it taking so long to get more trail built in Tokai.

The AGM is dealing with point 1 and the outcome has no bearing on point 2.

San Parks have made it clear that they would like mountain bikers to deal with their issues internally and then , come to them and tell them who they will be dealing with on a day-to-day basis in Tokai.

I don't know whether it is wise to have someone from San Parks present and witness what could potentially be a free for all. They might well pitch up unannounced, but then it was their choice.

The situation in Tokai has been explained many times, by Deon and others in this Forum and elsewhere. And quite clearly at that.

The reality is that there will be no new trails until this Rationalisation Plan has been completed. What it means is that vegetation, suppressed by the pines, will begin growing and San Parks want to see what comes up. Water, mini wetlands, springs , streams, whatever will also re-establish themselves at the same time.

San Parks want to see where they pop up and whether current trails are going through wetland areas, areas with sensitive vegetation, etc.

This process takes time and that's the time, plus more , the riders of Tokai will have to wait for San Parks to say Yes to new trails, No to current trails, ask for trails to be diverted plus a couple of other scenarios.

We asked San Parks on Monday to give us an idea of how long this this process will take. An exact number was not forthcoming, but we will be asking again and hopefully have an estimation before the AGM.

Kandui, Parks will most likely send a representative, they have at the previous meeting that I attended. We have to behave in a way that Parks, or anyone else for that matter, will clearly see as responsible. I have an idea some political drivers from the City and Province might attend too.

It does not have to be parks explaining the Rationalization process. What I was driving at, was that I would like it explained to everyone together, so that all can have the same facts and the misunderstandings and misinformation can once and for all be put behind us.

Perhaps you are in the ideal position to do the quick talk yourself. Did I hear you jump up to volunteer?

DJR: as pertains to the bit in red in Kandui's post, its best someone dream up an infographic that everyone can save on the desktop to 'keep things real' before tempers flair, handbags are thrown and ppl are banned willynilly. It will be pretty simple actually... and goes something like this:

a man with a hat in hand, with a horde of angry whatevers behind him waving pitchforks and handbags. The man with hat in hand and a few knives in his back, is standing in front of a cryptic crossword where the first three letters are S. A. N.

Then it moves into a huge speech bubble that looks awefully like a galaxy spiralling into a blackhole. There must be a feedback loop between this bubble and the man with hat in hand, .. oh and another feedback loop between man with hat in and hand and knives being inserted into his back.

the last image in the infographic must have a signboard with a rainbow stating exactly this:

Welcome to Whistler morzine private bikepark Tokai....

anyone game to design this??

Guest OldFlow

Kandui, Parks will most likely send a representative, they have at the previous meeting that I attended. We have to behave in a way that Parks, or anyone else for that matter, will clearly see as responsible. I have an idea some political drivers from the City and Province might attend too.

It does not have to be parks explaining the Rationalization process. What I was driving at, was that I would like it explained to everyone together, so that all can have the same facts and the misunderstandings and misinformation can once and for all be put behind us.

Perhaps you are in the ideal position to do the quick talk yourself. Did I hear you jump up to volunteer?

Sorry to help push you into a spot Kandui.... but...

I also think you would be the perfect person to inform and educate the gathering in this regard! :thumbup:

Could somebody tell me when the Burn is planned for?

What area is it expected to cover? There's a lot of alien growth all over the mountain. The most badly affected is the whole area below level 2.

Who in SANParks has the answer?

There was talk of Feb, then March, then? If it is too close to winter we face similar issues (maybe worse) that we had after the felling of the trees.

Flowta, I am not asking for his membership to be reinstated. That he was banned for posting what we are in agreement of means that there is a problem with what we believe is the solution.

Was his banning consulted with anyone who has tried making things work on this forum?

I have looked at the list of likes attached to the explanation and it seems several members of this forum and I&AP's are in agreement that it transpired. Please explain.

I can't explain, as I didn't see the post. I have seen some "explanations" of what has transpired with some antagonism within the text.

Guest Omega Man

Who is Kandui?

Kandui is a surf resort in Indonesia. And Rob from the Table Mountain Bikers.

Flowta,

That information is sort of SANParks confidential. They're not sure when it will happen but 2014 seems to be the year. The challenge is how fast the tree felling can occur + the botanists are timing something.

On the AGM and moving forward, it might be pertinent that everyone on the committee reads Edward Di Bono's "6 Thinking hats".

If they really want the process to work the tools described in the book will be heavily utilised

Kandui is a surf resort in Indonesia. And Rob from the Table Mountain Bikers.

Thanks, the first part I knew, the person I did not

Guest Omega Man

Thanks, the first part I knew, the person I did not

Opposite for me. Suddenly I'm keen for an Indo trip.

Opposite for me. Suddenly I'm keen for an Indo trip.

Can we ride in Indo?

Gotta make up some board racks I think. Let me check my spares box :w00t: