36one MTB Challenge?

bobbejaan

Hi gents

Just a few tips

im not a ultra distance rider but just put your head to it and ride it out.

I took music but never listened to it.

Dont buy huge battery packs, simply borrow one from a mate, a spare battery and tape it onto your frame for later,

Use a small light like magiclight on your head, to check garmin, or of you have to work on your bike ect

stop at every water table , drinks lots and chow lots

Dont touch any gu or similar products till atleast Calitzdorp -80km or so from the end.

ride with clear glasses in the night, lots of hours will dry your eyes in the wind.

for halfway stop take fresh bib ect, have a lekker shower and a big chow dont worry about losing time here, the poduim will be taken by pro's anyway

I spend 60min here last year and felt great when i left after a proper long shower and lots of food.

Be careful when you go down Rooiberg pass the next day, its high speed riding and your body will be tired.

Take medical gloves and wear them underneath your normal gloves for if it does become very very cold, last year we had great weather.

My time was 19:18

eat lots of small potatoes and take a rehudrate halway

Any questions just give me a shout

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

Can't see anywhere on the website but do you require a space-blanket and whistle like other trans-races

Thanks

Hi guys

Can't see anywhere on the website but do you require a space-blanket and whistle like other trans-races

Thanks

I know in the past they stated you needed a red light on the back, i also looked the other night, never stated anything about light or mandatory requirements.

Between the gf and myself, we carrying a space blanket and whistle, few basic first aid items.

....lol

Did you guys know Dryland event area famous for people that get stung by bees..

Red like makes it safer since you will have some traffic on some of the road

How about riding with a camelback? When you look at the menu's at the check point it seems like there will be more than enough to drink and eat.

See according to SA weather app the temp for Friday night will be around 20 degrees..

Seems like nice hot weather.

Very nice weather, water tables are 30 or so km's apart so tape your spares to your bike and go naked

I know in the past they stated you needed a red light on the back, i also looked the other night, never stated anything about light or mandatory requirements.

Between the gf and myself, we carrying a space blanket and whistle, few basic first aid items.

wat gaan julle met n kombersie maak......

drive safely gents,i will be riding a scott with a 35one top(white and in the morning i will wear a blue team garmin top-come say howzit

its gonna be boiling hot tonight and tom so try and ride with anything but black, and remember to have a rehydrate at check point 2

See you at the start

Cheers

Tough Race but We MADE it.

36one water points and table offerings were superb.

42 degree heat in the day at 1pm gave alot of riders the white flag..retire and unfortunatly give up. The nights were 24 degrees with those temps you start seeing things that arnt there..mad fix.

Beeeg respect to all 36one solo rider.

respect to all 180km riders tooo.

Huge respect to Bierman the 24hour champ and your time not to mention the relay teams....jeez

Everyone involved..Thanks.

Edited by Undun

Hi i dont do many races but this was really one of the best long distance events i have ever done.

The water points where amazingly well stocked when you think about how remote the places are they have to be taken too.

When you think that every point at 12:30 in the middle of the day had ice then you realise this team of dryland are amazing and speaking to them you quickly realize they are also athletes and damm good ones that are also aware that they need to do something for the communities they live in.

Sponsors were amazing , a wide variety of useful snacks and friendly service, guys willing to lube and attend to even your bike :) wow that's special

I will be back next year as i only managed 100km but what an awesome experience..

Make contact

Carel Herholdt

Dryland Event Management

http://www.the36one.com/images/contact-phone-icon.png

082 379 1177

http://www.the36one.com/images/contact-email-icon.png

carel@dryland.co.za

Finished in 22h41m. Absolutely awesome event. Though but the staff and personal at the water tables made life so much easier. A HUGE thank you to all Dryland staff on a job well done.