Worst Cycling Purchase

MrJacques

i run the Geax Suagaro. absolutely love them. actually getting a new rear fitted today! (tubeless) ran 1000km plus on them. had about 3 punctures that needed plugs, had 2 on the herald this weekend, but that i blame due to them being tired and massive elephant thorns!!

maybe its cos you got the WHITE?!?! ones? who buys white tyres? (i secretely want them now)

I do! They looked the business. I had problems with them because they were not tubeless. Battled to seal them + they got punctures if you just looked at them angrily. If I could get them in 29er toobles now I'll buy them! Would look great with my colour scheme.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed!! One bottle worth and tossed the rest of it!!

Agreed on this, disgusting stuff. Bottle of this sh*t leaked into my car floorwell carpets, could not get the smell out of the car even after pro valet service, was happy to trade the car in. Don`t know what is in that vomitous concoction but stay well clear!

My LBS phoned me yesterday to warn me about my new chinese carbon integrated stem and handlebar for my roadbike. Said they have seen a few break. Now I havnt used the product and all ready I am concerned - worst buy ever?

How many is a few? Or is it the typical bike shop intellectual response to a threat to the entrenched margins within retail?

Granted, there is a possibility of everything breaking should it hit another object at speed. Is this what they mean?

I have fitted and sold more than "a few" of these and have done extensive research, they are no more likely to break from normal use than any other component you may purchase.

So No, I wouldn't say it's close to your worst buy ever.

I do! They looked the business. I had problems with them because they were not tubeless. Battled to seal them + they got punctures if you just looked at them angrily. If I could get them in 29er toobles now I'll buy them! Would look great with my colour scheme.

so what you running now? 29er geax tubeeless are the bomb. even the black with the grey sidewall looks legit (fake it till you make it i say)

There used to be a fella at all the bike race registration expos with a little fold-out stand to put your bike on for cleaning / minor maintenance.

It was his own 'invention', cost R100 and was crap.

Also bought 2nd-hand a 'power meter' not attached to hubs or cranks but worked off astrological forces or somesuch; and it was so big it looked like a choc ice on the handlebars. White thing, cant remember the name, also did gradients by making them up on some kind of random no. generator every 10 secs.

Ok - so that buy was way worse than stand. I gave it away on the Hub in the end, even paid postage to the 'lucky winner' who was 1st to respond & happened to be in Cape Town.

so what you running now? 29er geax tubeeless are the bomb. even the black with the grey sidewall looks legit (fake it till you make it i say)

Had the white jobs on the 26". Running Schwalbe KN & RR Snakeskin on the 29".

Had the white jobs on the 26". Running Schwalbe KN & RR Snakeskin on the 29".

and how are they? will be replacing the front geax soon. so gonna be running geax rear and dunno what yet front?

There used to be a fella at all the bike race registration expos with a little fold-out stand to put your bike on for cleaning / minor maintenance.

It was his own 'invention', cost R100 and was crap.

Also bought 2nd-hand a 'power meter' not attached to hubs or cranks but worked off astrological forces or somesuch; and it was so big it looked like a choc ice on the handlebars. White thing, cant remember the name, also did gradients by making them up on some kind of random no. generator every 10 secs.

Ok - so that buy was way worse than stand. I gave it away on the Hub in the end, even paid postage to the 'lucky winner' who was 1st to respond & happened to be in Cape Town.

hmmm... Forgot about that one... Add me to the list too...

Anybody interested in a fold-out bike stand? R150 (excl. p&p) to the first taker?

and how are they? will be replacing the front geax soon. so gonna be running geax rear and dunno what yet front?

Very happy with them. Just mightily expensive!

A set of these....

http://www.camposlorca.com/images/cubiertamtb-geax-saguaro-white.jpg

...and trying to run them tubeless.

You tried to run steel beaded tyres as tubeless? :eek:

The problem is that the shop assistants don't understand the assometer, they miss that important little part where it recommends the width based on the fact that you may be a sport or recreational cyclist.

He did go on about that, but his theory was that as a sport cyclist you crouch down, and then your sit-bones automatically widen (yes really!) so therefore you need a wide seat.... I was a bit sceptical, but I figured what the hell, he's the expert, what have I got to loose. In this case it was R1300......

He did go on about that, but his theory was that as a sport cyclist you crouch down, and then your sit-bones automatically widen (yes really!) so therefore you need a wide seat.... I was a bit sceptical, but I figured what the hell, he's the expert, what have I got to loose. In this case it was R1300......

He needs a slap.

He needs a slap.

with a 155mm wide seat yes.

Just be glad he did not try prove his theory by putting his hands on your sit bones as you "crouch down".

must be the camelpak, i never use. got it with my first bike, after 5 rides realized water-bottle is the way to go.

Keen to sell it?

Archived