Campagnolo spoken here.

Cippo

8 minutes ago, madmarc said:

You can use any 10 spd quicklink - I use the SRAM ones, many will tell you a quicklink is also single use, which is BS i reuse mine over and over when i remove the chain to clean it properly on all my bikes.

I use SRAM QL never had an issue

Thanks madmarc

I also reuse quick-links, will give the Sram link a go

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get a set, buy an extra pair and keep it with you especially if you are one of those guys who tend to break chains. It is just such an easy way to road-side-repair a broken chain. Also useful if you break a derailleur or need to MacGuyver a single speed for whatever reason. The pair of links take no space and weights nothing. 

Edited by DJR

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Shebeen said:

That saddens me, as Tullio Campagnolo was a brilliant engineer and innovator of cycling technology. 

We all use the rear parallelogram derailleurs he designed and after a icy race where he lost time struggling to undo his wheel nuts, he came up with the cam-based quick-release we all used until TA became a new standard (but in some ways a backwards step).

Sitting with his mates long afterwards they gave him stick because he struggled to get a cork out of an old bottle of wine. He sketched on a napkin and the next day filed a patent on the "two wings" corkscrew we still use. 

I was gently musing on Sunday as I could hear the chain on my Dura Ace, that the best ride ever was on early 2000s 10spd Record (no Super Record at the time). Better than Red, better than DA and better that 11spd Super Record on my C59 'Nago. 

As a Campy die-hard i must concure witht he auther of the article - I think Campy lost their way somewhere.

Back in the day Guppos were freely availble both new and used - even with the useless local importer - I have rebuilt many Ergo levers and could always get spares, now one has to scrounge locally and they are getting harder to source overseas as well.

Anyone with an older Gruppo needs to look after it - If it fails it will be wall art.

Never thought i'd see the day that NAGO would standardize on Shitmano - what sacrilege is this I read.

Thankfully i dont build road bikes anymore and all mine that i hardly ride are full Campy equiped so they should last longer than me.

If i did build a new road bike i think i would move over to SRAM now. Because "I'd walk before i ride Shitmano"

1 hour ago, eddy said:

That saddens me, as Tullio Campagnolo was a brilliant engineer and innovator of cycling technology. 

Sitting with his mates long afterwards they gave him stick because he struggled to get a cork out of an old bottle of wine. He sketched on a napkin and the next day filed a patent on the "two wings" corkscrew we still use. 

no way, didn't know that. it is a brilliant design.

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/uk_patent_1188579_-_campagnolo.html

but, i think there's an issue here

The Wing

The double-lever, rack-and-pinion “Wing” corkscrew has its origins in H.S. Heely’s 1888 British patent on a corkscrew he called the A1 Heeley Double Lever. A version of this corkscrew reached the United States in 1930. Patented to Italian designer Dominick Rosati, the design remains quite popular. As you twist the screw into the cork, a pair of levers rise on each side of the bottle’s neck. When you push the levers down the cork rises. When crafted out of heavier, thicker metal it can be easy to use and quite effective. Cheap, flimsier versions can be frustrating to use, as the leverage the corkscrew should provide just isn’t there.

The U.S. Patent Filing For Dominick Rosati's Wing Corkscrew - 1930

4 hours ago, eddy said:

................ the best ride ever was on early 2000s 10spd Record ..................

The great thing about this argument is that all you have to do is sit and wait for another few decades and all the competition will be in a landfill while that 10 speed Record will be shifting like a Swiss timepiece and sweetly purring away at the kilometres. (In other words, yes, I'm with you on this one, just not sure I'm going to be around then.)