Dear Joggers

D Vader

If you are running into oncoming traffic and there is a cyclist approaching, please move onto the pavement.

Its the right thing to do.

It may be safer for you to run into oncoming traffic, but it is very much more dangerous for the cyclist, who only has that narrow margin and cannot see behind themselves, so seeing as the law requires the cyclist to use the road and the pedestrian to use the sidewalk, please move over. This may sound like a very obvious point to make, but I seem to come across a lot of militant joggers who think otherwise. The cyclist is going to get caught by traffic from behind and jumping a sidewalk verge sideways is very risky.

Man you are so talking my language. Sick and tired of the runners expecting us to move more into the road. They can see the traffic not us. Runners are all over the road, its like they don't know which side of the road to run on. Same story as with cyclists, they run 3 abreast and push an oncoming cyclist further into death zone.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man you are so talking my language. Sick and tired of the runners expecting us to move more into the road. They can see the traffic not us. Runners are all over the road, its like they don't know which side of the road to run on. Same story as with cyclists, they run 3 abreast and push an oncoming cyclist further into death zone.

it's called jay running and found mainly in the heath conscious sector. The irony, I know!

. Same story as with cyclists, they run 3 abreast and push an oncoming cyclist further into death zone.

But cyclists riding against the traffic should be pushed under the nearest putco.

• 4 weeks later...
Dear jogger get the f*** out the way or u may end up getting a PK!

Well aren't you a mucho-man sunshine?

I run as well as bike,

Rule of thumb with running is you run facing oncoming traffic.

If a car/cyclist/idiot on a bike with a k*k attude approaches, you just hop onto the curb. Cyclist can't see behind them so you just make some space.

Live and let live and lets all sing Cumbajaa...

So how did SA duathlon Champs go? Are you going to Spain?

Who's your Jogger?

A Jogger is another name for the type of polly shorts used in the 70's.

WE ARE RUNNERS.

Oh yes AND we are CYCLISTS

and now and then we are MOTORISTS

Mutual respect and tolerance for one another will make our roads far safer.

The correct terms are:

Jogger = Fun rider

Runner = Cyclist

Road Runner = Road Cyclist (same attitude)

Trail Runner = Mtbker

Triathlete = Demi god that can swim

Duathlete= Demi god that cannot swim

Biathlete= Demi god that cannot cycle

Adventure racer =Demi god who fell on his head when born

Orienteerer = Runner (some times cyclist) with a map

Learn to ID the athlete. It could save your life

When I ride in the morning and it's still dark, I am lit up like a Christmas tree.

I do not want to be run over by a car.

One would think that all runners would have similar views on visibility.

Apparently this view, while universally accepted, and practised by most runners, still escapes a few.

I have almost run over a runner several times on Forest Drive in La Lucia running in all black kit, in the road facing oncoming traffic. i think it's the same guy every time. My headlight picks up the refelction on his shoes at the limit of the beam's reach, and I have to take evasive action

a wee little LED light would be plenty.

No need to go all ninja, man.

Dear jogger get the f*** out the way or u may end up getting a PK!

Id love to see a runner wearing grippy running shoes fighting a cyclist with slippery cleats. get the popcorn.

I ride that road daily either by car or mtb. Never have I seen runners running on the road surface into oncoming traffic. The runners are always on the pavement. Actually they were pretty stupid as that road verge is so torn up by the rains recently they could easily have twisted an ankle, ( or get ridden over by a mtber).

There is a by law that says pedestrians are not allowed on the road surface. We used it in the old days when I was with SAPS to get rid of these hawkers at the traffic lights.

Just saying...

The joggers/runners in Westlake seem to think the cycle lane is for their convenience, I assume this would count as the road surface and they are not meant to be there?

The joggers/runners in Westlake seem to think the cycle lane is for their convenience, I assume this would count as the road surface and they are not meant to be there?

Correct, blows my mind when there is a perfectly good sidewalk, which is far more pleasant (and safer) to use on the other side of the road

Short answer - YES.

I think the whole thing would be settled if everyone [Cyclist and Runner] just abides by the Keep left, Pass right thing...

Think that is a rule in South Africa :whistling:

Edited by DACoetzee

I found a bell on my bike solved a lot of my problems with joggers and pedestrians , give it a go . .

+1...cheap, fun, cheerful and does a great job of letting people know you are approaching.