PPA versus CSA

mallo

Excuse my ignorance but why did PPA go to court in the first place?

And why this in their affidavit:

The Applicant shall, in perpetuity, have the right to:

• have free and unfettered ownership and control of their own assets and income and be solely liable for their obligations;

PPA had been aware of the proposed 2012 constitution, but did not support its content, insofar as it purported to exclude PPA as an affiliate member of CSA, while simultaneously permitting CSA to exercise control over PPA and its members.

I know the court rolls are full, but in the same affidavit you are talking about, they admit they were part of the structure since 2004. THAT IS TEN YEARS OF WILLINGLY PARTICIPATING

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the court rolls are full, but in the same affidavit you are talking about, they admit they were part of the structure since 2004. THAT IS TEN YEARS OF WILLINGLY PARTICIPATING

Until CSA & SASCOC tried to shaft them, yeah. During that time they were also "allowed" sole control over their events and finances, something CSA wanted to change...

Travelling costs of R 681 000 does not take you very far if you want to compete Internationally

I very much suspect that "traveling and entertainment" does not include getting athletes to competions, but rather officials around the world on "official" business.

The 2012 Olympics debacle and wanton usage of taxpayer's money for massive eating and drinking sprees, rampant financial mismanagement and a total lack of direction, not to mention complete self-interest to the detriment of all athletes:This is the legacy of SASCOC and the various unions that govern sport in our country.

CSA: Why invest so much in defending a patently unjust position? Why not take heed of dissatisfaction, and amend the way the sport is run to benefit all stakeholders?

When the issues are so clearly visible and still no action is taken, then the only conclusion that can be drawn is that there is ZERO desire to do so.

In 2013, CSA sent a team JNR track Cycling World Championships. The cost per person was in excess of R 40 000. Because of the lack of funding, the honor to represent their country had to be self funded. This cost, for one team only was in excess of R 500 000. Included were 12 riders, a manager and a coach. Travelling costs of R 681 000 does not take you very far if you want to compete Internationally

The lack of funding!? They get approx R 20m per year from Lotto. Which they squander on awards and back pockets, instead of using to further the careers of riders and support professional cyclists who need to go overseas to compete.

ALL they wanted was PPA's bank balance. That's what it boils down to. What they (and SASCOC) need to realise is that they are there for one purpose and one purpose only - to foster development of already promising riders and to ensure proper representation at global events.

I very much suspect that "traveling and entertainment" does not include getting athletes to competions, but rather officials around the world on "official" business.

Too right, the traveling and entertainment falls under the executive committee expenses section. In other words for those hard of understanding the facts FOR THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS jollies.

Until CSA & SASCOC tried to shaft them, yeah. During that time they were also "allowed" sole control over their events and finances, something CSA wanted to change...

They also clearly state in the affidavit the reasons why that ten year relationship went sour and how a amicable resolution could not be found.

Do you thing Cricket South Africa or South African Rugby Board live from own income? No, they have similar business plans to CSA where their members contribute through ticket sales - similar to a levy on cycling entries.

No they do not.

They are overwhelmingly funded by the sale of TV rights and commercial sponsorships.

They also clearly state in the affidavit the reasons why that ten year relationship went sour and how a amicable resolution could not be found.

Yes. paragraph 7 clearly states that PPA became unhappy because they had to pay R 1.2 mil over 10 years - as they say for "sanctioning" races. However, the funding is desperately needed for funding our riders

If it was just that easy. We are talking International competition, not only grass roots level. Your home town hero Nolan Hoffman has not qualified for automatic entry to the Olympics yet. And he is one of only two riders in the current World Championship squad. There is just not funding enough to give more riders the same opportunities. Who do you think will fit that bill? I can recall at least five other riders from Paarl that has similar abilities to Nolan, came through the structures, but will never be able to fulfill their dreams because of financial constraints.

To give you an idea:

C.S.A. should!

(Short answer good enough for a Friday?)

The funding model has its failings and we can see that in athletics too with the ASA and KZNA debacles. The fact the CSA is unable to establish a 5 or 7 day tour shows that the people running CSA probably shouldn't be. They are probably politicians and that is where it fails. CSA is a business and should be run as such by a business person. Politics and personal agendas will get the sport nowhere.

Yes. paragraph 7 clearly states that PPA became unhappy because they had to pay R 1.2 mil over 10 years - as they say for "sanctioning" races. However, the funding is desperately needed for funding our riders

They also state that they paid a majority of the CSA expenses, including R300 000 towards a salary. They also had a very small say in the governing of the CSA even when they represented more than half the membership of all cyclists in SA.

We can carry on selectively quoting from the court case, but the problem remains that cycling and most other sports are badly managed in this country and we are going to lose many good youngsters because of the bungling antics of the people that supposedly should be looking after their interests.

It was time that they were taken on and good for PPA in doing it. PPA also have their problems as stated before. At some stage this country needs to start looking after the interest of their sports people and not the fat cat administrators. Once that is achieved the sponsorships and money will follow.

Cycling is in a good position where major corporates are throwing their weight behind it (ABSA, FNB, P&P, MOMENTUM to name a few). Get the bungling politics right and the rest will follow.

No they do not.

They are overwhelmingly funded by the sale of TV rights and commercial sponsorships.

Thank you for this post. This brings us closer to the real problem.

They do receive substantial income from TV coverage, yes.They also rely on income derived from the unions.

• All sporting codes would like to secure some funding, be it Lottery, commercial or even from Sports and recreation .
  • Upon approach you are constantly told that "we only support the main sporting codes" which is Rugby, Cricket and Soccer.
  • Not only is this biased in favour of the top three, but essentially, the three are male dominated sporting codes. (I do not see much live coverage of for instance SA Ladies cricket or Rugby).
  • With this support, the three major sports draw more commercial support, and TV rights can be sold due to the exposure.
  • The smaller other sporting codes (amongst which cycling ) have to look at different modules, such as CSA with the levy system aimed at creating an income stream.

We have been invited to send a team to the Junior Track Cycling World Championships in Korea.We would like to make the country proud, but it has become impossible to do so without funding.

For the last two months, I am being frustrated by negative responses to various organisations to secure funding. I read from previous postings that PPA has sponsored walkways, trees, etc etc.

With all this funding available, Why don't they want to invest in our future top riders?

snip snip

With all this funding available, Why don't they want to invest in our future top riders?

Because it is CSAs responsibility to look after high performance local and international cycling ?

They are. But it shouldn't stop with them. CSA gets government funding through the National Lottery. It's up to them to ensure the continual development of promising riders that things like the Spur Schools Series, PPA Summer league, Track club rides and many other privately funded non-CSA licensed rides & competitions have highlighted. It's not their job to foster elite-level competitors. That is, or rather SHOULD BE, CSA's job, in conjunction with major sponsors, TV deals etc etc. But CSA's continued maladministration, squandering of funds and inability to put a competitive series together is not doing them ANY favours - why SHOULD a private company sponsor / help to contribute towards a sports body that is intrinsically corrupt and unable to manage its own incomings without leaning on other, more established, cash-flush cycling bodies?

Gerhard, I understand your frustrations but PPA was started with the funrider in mind. They are the ones who organise a multitude of events for their members. As a result they have created a brand that people want to join, not have to join. Their focus is the fun rider and general social projects.

Lets turn it around and ask "What events do CSA (or their Provincial Structures) organise that appeal to me as the fun rider? What have CSA done or are they doing to make me want to join their structure?

Edited by ricochet_rabbit