Tankwa Trek

leona

Tankwa Trek was lekker, water points, food and single track :clap: :thumbup:

The Marino Monster and HEAT :eek: Next time I'll go with a dual suspension bike.

My handmade "medal" priceless!

*Tankwa_Trek_Day_1 Witzenberg Valley (RED)

Distance: 87.68 km

Elevation Gain: 1,445 m

Elevation Loss: 1,444 m

Min Elevation: 805 m

Max Elevation: 1,163 m

Avg Temperature: 28.3 °C

Min Temperature: 17.0 °C

Max Temperature: 41.0 °C

*Tankwa_Trek_Day_2 Ceres Valley (BLACK)

Distance: 88.45 km

Elevation Gain: 1,905 m

Elevation Loss: 1,905 m

Min Elevation: 579 m

Max Elevation: 1,821 m

Avg Temperature: 32.8 °C

Min Temperature: 18.0 °C

Max Temperature: 44.0 °C

*Tankwa_Trek_Day_3_Neutral_Zone (GREEN)

Distance: 25.41 km

Elevation Gain: 193 m

Elevation Loss: 224 m

Min Elevation: 910 m

Max Elevation: 976 m

Avg Temperature: 19.1 °C

Min Temperature: 16.0 °C

Max Temperature: 23.0 °C

*Tankwa_Trek_Day_3 Koue Bokkeveld (BLUE)

Distance: 58.54 km

Elevation Gain: 632 m

Elevation Loss: 622 m

Min Elevation: 940 m

Max Elevation: 1,152 m

Avg Temperature: 34.9 °C

Min Temperature: 25.0 °C

Max Temperature: 44.0 °C

post-4329-0-01044600-1392711687_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-09707100-1392711703_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-84999600-1392711714_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-38146000-1392711729_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-16533400-1392711974_thumb.jpg

post-4329-0-00057500-1392712755_thumb.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I would dig to do this one sometime, just dunno about the time of year. if they do a non epic training one in spring/autumn I would be lank keen.

I know it's nitpicking, but here's my geography lesson. The tankwa trek mtb race, doesn't actually take place in the tankwa karoo - it's mainly in the koue bokkeveld. (nor is it in the cederberg region as many reports said).

To confuse things further, we also have the transkaroo mtb race, which does actually cross the tankwa karoo, but is as you can see called the transkaroo. Even though it is 250km+ it sure as hell doesn't cross the karoo, not even a smidgeon. Depending on who you listen to, the karoo goes way beyond graaf reinet.

post-1830-0-85483600-1392723369_thumb.jpg

I drew a picture as google earth was open. Both races are pretty much established now, so I think this anomoly(assuing i'm actually right) will live on.

Now whilst i have your attention, go visit the tankwa karoo national park. it is cheap as chips and a wonderful wilderness experience. conquering the handbuilt gannaga pass is one of the most lekker things i've done on a mtb.

yes well.

I know it's nitpicking, but here's my geography lesson. The tankwa trek mtb race, doesn't actually take place in the tankwa karoo - it's mainly in the koue bokkeveld. (nor is it in the cederberg region as many reports said).

post-1830-0-85483600-1392723369_thumb.jpg

I drew a picture as google earth was open. Both races are pretty much established now, so I think this anomoly(assuing i'm actually right) will live on.

Sani2C also don't go over the Sani pass, Joberg2C starts in Heidelberg, Wines2Whales - didn't see any whales but I assume they might have been nearby. You can probably nitpick all day long, must be hard being a perfectionist :whistling:

Sani2C also don't go over the Sani pass, Joberg2C starts in Heidelberg, Wines2Whales - didn't see any whales but I assume they might have been nearby. You can probably nitpick all day long, must be hard being a perfectionist :whistling:

you're right, they should start sani2c from the top of the pass, and include the border crossing as part of the race!

isn't heidelberg pretty much the first piece of dirt along the n3..gauteng==jozi anyway

definitely whales there, they even put it during the peak season!

nitpicking is one thing, but the this is just plain confusing the way these two races got muddle up. There was also the shortlived CA2C (that started in durbanville/CY) and don't even get me started on the 2 oceans half marathon (which has a grand total of 0 oceans on the route)

There's guys planning a “Die Vergete Grootpad” (The Forgotten Highway) 1000 km bicycle ride from CERES to KIMBERLEY, looks very interesting. Hundreds of transport riders took a shortcut through the Karoo from Ceres to the Kimberley diamond fields in the 1800s. The N1 didn't exist back then.

https://www.driveout...way-yesteryear/

http://www.ridingthe...-kimberley/cjg9

lekker stuff, thanks for posting

this race never happened, but is a similar sort of trans country ride that has now been moved to the eastern cape for 2014

http://www.doitnow.co.za/content/x-new-mountain-biking-adventure

Amabpoepensie--nice report

Me coming down the first single track on the back of that mountain on day 2

Saw your bike at the end there you are a NUTTER riding with a rigid fork, wasn't it also a single speed?

Saw your bike at the end there you are a NUTTER riding with a rigid fork, wasn't it also a single speed?

yes it was :-)

After watching the videos I have decided that with or without hubby.. I am doing this next yr.. I remember watching last yrs video's and it looked awesome. . But klaar finished my mind is made up.. hubby can come with or stay at home.. but I am doing this.

I did Tankwa this last weekend. I would say GR300 is tougher but the weather is cooler and the terrain not as rugged.

But there are no free miles in the Knysna forests it's either up or down.

Heading to GR300 tomorrow, looking forward to it.

I did Tankwa this last weekend. I would say GR300 is tougher but the weather is cooler and the terrain not as rugged.

But there are no free miles in the Knysna forests it's either up or down.

Heading to GR300 tomorrow, looking forward to it.