compressor for mtb tyre

Stretch

quick question...I normally pump my tyres up at a mates house using his compressor, but it turns out I need to replace my valve and therefore re-pump my tyre...but he is away! which got me thinking.. I have absolutely no need for a standard compressor...but these little 12v compressors for car tyres..have they got enough vooma to reseal the tyre? and if so where would you find one....and if not that..what other options

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12V does not have the required ooooomph to inflate a tubeless from zero.....but is very nice to do the top-up and maintain pressure. The air flow rate is just not enough to do the same as a BIIIIG compressor that has an air reservoir with pressurised air.

Your best option for seating a tyre again.....your car....to the nearest garage/fuel station......use their unlimited high flow rate air.......best thing is that it is FREE!

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I have on of those 12V unbranded jobbies......but the stares I get when using it before races......eish. Big branded cycle floor pumps seems to be the thing, otherwise you are not hard core and a cheat. I BLAME NOOBNESS....

I would just get a trusty floor pump with gauge that they usually come with.Just as quick and no having to look for power source.Just put mine in the boot when going to races if needed.

if you can, get the Lezyne dirt floor pump. Designed for seating tubeless tyres. It's a bit harder with folding beads, but so far, i've seated all my tubeless tyres. The thing is a beast!

it was a toss up between getting the Lezyne or getting a small compressor. I very definitely do not regret my choice: it works superbly, and saved me mega bucks in the process. It's portable and it works. Did i say it works yet? You will not go wrong with it. Highly recommended.

Nice review here.

Thing of beauty.

http://www.wigglestatic.com/images/lezyne-alloy-dirt-floor-2012-zoom.jpg

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Lezyne-ABS-Chuck.jpg

http://www.pedal-pedal.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1500x2000/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/l/e/lezyne_classic_dirt_floor_drive_enhance100002.jpg

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Lezyne-Alloy-Dirt-Floor-Drive-gage.jpg

Another option is a dive cylinder if you know someone with a spare... Alternatively one of those little 25lt ones from a place like Adendorf or even Game will do fine. You need a reservior to get the volume of air to seat the tyre.

thanks for the info...just as i thought..those little ones dont have the oompf.

i have an unbranded foot pump from midas that does the pumping just fine..just not very good at seating the bead....might just pop down to the garage in this instance

I must be lucky in terms of the tyre/rim combos I use. I seat everything with a floor pump, and sometimes I pump with one hand, holding the wheel in my other hand.

That Lezyne pump looks awesome, heirloom material. But before I spend that kind of cash on a pump, I will buy this from my local Co-Op (koöperasie):

post-4006-1392756012,7162.jpg

And this Topeak nozzle:

post-4006-1392756043,1972.jpg

The pump will set you back R600, but it pumps 3 times the volume per stroke than a normal cycling floor pump.

Another option is a dive cylinder if you know someone with a spare... Alternatively one of those little 25lt ones from a place like Adendorf or even Game will do fine. You need a reservior to get the volume of air to seat the tyre.

Dive cylinder is an excellent idea, probably get better flow rate than quite a sizey compressor and they can hold the pressure for yrs.

I have a 220v car tyre inflator nothing special, much more pressure than the 12v ones which are useless.

I've seated every tubeless tyre I have ever mounted with it, only cost around R200, check Midas or Makro/game - try see if you can switch it on in the store to check the flow but they normally allow returns no problem if it's not sufficient.

You need a compressor with at least 25l capacity

If you mean 25 l/min, that's tiny, you can pump at a much higher flow than that with a normal floor pump.

12 V 4x4 compressors in the 120-160 l/min will be much better suited for seating MTB tyres, especially for TR tyres on non UST rims.

25L would be the compressors tank capacity not flow rate.

Well the OP asked for a 12V portable compressor. None of those have 25L reservoirs. But you can easily seat most tyres with a 12V compressor with a flow of higher than 120 L/min.

Well the OP asked for a 12V portable compressor. None of those have 25L reservoirs. But you can easily seat most tyres with a 12V compressor with a flow of higher than 120 L/min.

agreed...gots the big boy 240v 160l/min t-max from outdoor warehouse about a year ago...they were running a special and got mine for 599 ronds. Tubeless conversions....what a pleasure. It has more oompf than some garage pumps. Carry it with me in my car, comes in a handy little carry bag with all kinds of adapters.

Best purchase I have made a long time

Dive cylinder is an excellent idea, probably get better flow rate than quite a sizey compressor and they can hold the pressure for yrs.

I have a 220v car tyre inflator nothing special, much more pressure than the 12v ones which are useless.

I've seated every tubeless tyre I have ever mounted with it, only cost around R200, check Midas or Makro/game - try see if you can switch it on in the store to check the flow but they normally allow returns no problem if it's not sufficient.

I Would stay away from a dive cylinder. Unless you have the correct fitting and pressure regulator you will make a big bang.

a dive cylinder full runs at +- 200bar some at 300Bar your MTB tire 2-3Bar. putting 200bar into 2 bar is a recipe for disaster. unless you are familiar with the fittings needed I urge you to stay away.

PS

It was one of those purchases that the wife went..."really? REALLY? When are you ever going to use that thing". Let me set the scene

I am very much an impulse buyer, I can walk into a builders warehouse to go and buy some chlorine and walk out with a benchsaw or hydraulic press, so when I went to outdoor warehouse I just wanted the latest getaway, but walked out with that and this mini compressor with puncture repair kit for cars....wife gave me the houtoog and really really speech...I just shrugged and went...you know me by now babes.

So picture this a week later...wife gets up on the sat morning to go and have breakfast wife her friends and some snooty snotty trendy cafe bar, I slept in...heard the garage door open, car starting...and then car got switch off...thinking she forgot her sunnies or purse I wasn't bothered. Now this is where it gets interesting...wife sees she has puncture and now refusing to admit that my impulse purchase will be handy gets the jack, wheelspanner and spare wheel out of the boot all sneaky like...cause she is now going to be hardegat and change her own tyre(she is stubborn that way). I hear spanners and tools fall on the garage floor so got up to see what's going on. Tip toeing to the garage...I hear some choice words as she tries to get jack under the car, So I position myself in the doorway without her noticing all smug like, arms folded with a smug grin on my face. When she notices me after a minute, she gave me one look and said....ok use your new toy and fix please babe....all i heard was...you are a legend.

Got my t-max out...found the nail that caused the puncture, removed it....plugged the hole and pump her tyre up in less than 10 minutes and she was off to said breakfast and skinner session

That my friends is why this little compressor is worth its weight in gold....oh and it makes tubeless conversions a breeze. Get one!!!!!!!!!!

:clap:

Archived