Kitting a 'youngster' out for DH - cheapest options?

NotSoBigBen

So my laaitie decided he wants to give this DH thing a go .... a bike is 95% ready to go but his mother says that over her dead body is he going out with that 'thing' till he has the right protective kit ....

So ...

1) What is the minimum kit required

2) Where is the cheapest place to look - have been told Full Throttle clearance store?

Thaba DH course is down the road :)

post-271-0-10424200-1394112229_thumb.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The minimum requirements for an official DH event are:

• Full face helmet
  • knee guards
  • covered elbows (either elbow guards or long sleeved jersey)

There are quite a few places to buy gear locally. Full Throttle is a good option for jerseys, (and shorts, if you're lucky), but generally MX knee guards do not have a top strap so they flap open. and don't stay put during a fall. MX helmets han be too hut, heavy, and bulky.

So look on buycycle, Diald, and probably the cheapest place to get knee and elbow guards... cycles africa

Lid, goggles, gloves, knee+shin pads, elbow pads, minimum!

Chest and back protection (thor, TLD, Leatt) is a recommended option.

I'm not in the must_get-a-neck-brace camp. At all.

Ha ha, you're heading for total financial ruin ;)

I have two sons riding mountain as well as road and it is bad enough, but I recon still easier on the pocket than sponsoring a DH rider, even one you love. Also, mine are getting to the size where I can hand my old bikes down and sponsor myself for a new one :thumbup: . Better start riding DH yourself?

I agree with his mother about proper protective gear though!

Sorry, I'm no help at all!

+1 on Full Throttle. Just bear in mind that MX helmets are a bit heavier than the MTB specific ones, and are built to different standards (more around high speed impact than lower speed impact due to the speeds involved, or so I understand) and they have less cooling vents than the MTB / DH ones.

As mentioned already, FF lid (MX) is fine to start. There are some good buys to be had at Full throttle clearance. Long sleeve jersey AND elbow guards. I would recommend a chest protector. Thick shorts (jeans or cargo shorts can work for now) and knee guards.

If your boy's got skills, then the pads can be soft type but as a noob I would suggest the plastic outers to start.

Your average DH run is between 2 and 8 minutes depending on the course. No vents in your lid sin't really going to make that much difference at beginner level TBH.

Unless you have an unlimited budget, the cheaper stuff from two seasons ago or better still somebody else's gear box is fine. Otherwise TLD D3 / Airoh's DH specific model and either TLD or Dakine head to toe.

Don't forget the 510's!

Edited by Grebel

I am a size 28 i have a pants he can have if it fits. I also have a brand new Leatt chest protector. for R1000-00.

Give me a shout i might have some other stuff must go look.

Perhaps try Helderkruin thoses Jumps at Thaba migh be a bit much for a first timer. Helders is nice and flowing 1;30 to 2 min run for him.

Come through to my shop! its a dirt bike shop called 2nd Gear store. We deal in 2nd Hand mx gear! Search it on fb! We in northriding!

Thanks man, liked your page :)

Are you open Saturdays?

Thanks for the tips everyone! Don't wanna shell out to much as it might not last ;)

He already has MTB (650B FS and 29r SSR) as well as a road bike so lots of options ......

So my laaitie decided he wants to give this DH thing a go .... a bike is 95% ready to go but his mother says that over her dead body......

That's what my mom said when I got my first motorcycle at 16...and then again when I got my first motocross bike...and then when I got my first mtb.... cant win

hijack off