Kitting a 'youngster' out for DH - cheapest options?

NotSoBigBen

Maybe next time ...... hasn't ever ridden a DH course or bike before :blush:

Pity, because the KZN courses are very friendy to those trying out DH for the first time.

There are still big jumps and gnarly rock gardens, but I feel they cater for progression way better than the Gauteng courses (where many of the obstacles are do-or-die).

He should definitely look into doing some KZN provincials next year.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of the pro's don't wear neck braces... or many other items of protective gear that we deem 'essential'.

But I guess that's why they're pro's. What think is absolutely insane, is like a Nissan Trailseeker to them.

Sorry maybe I should have said some pro's. Guess its personal choice, that extra level of protection where it counts gives some extra peace of mind.

@patches - he's gonna need some advice on setting up the suspension sometime, maybe he can meet you at Thaba to check it out when you have time and the sun shines?

hahaha, I just fiddle with the dials. As Super_mil will attest that I have no clue when it comes to good rebound settings on a fork.

But I'll be happy to helpout where I can.

He can also check the shock and fork manufacturer sites for tuning guides. Those are usually a good starting point.

How old is your lightie?

Going cheapest may not be in the interests of hs safety. MX helmets are too heavy for a childs neck. You will need a LEAT Brace as well.

How old is your lightie?

Going cheapest may not be in the interests of hs safety. MX helmets are too heavy for a childs neck. You will need a LEAT Brace as well.

'youngster' as he is 23 ;) - he has a proper DH helmet ... will see how this whole thing progresses ......

hahaha, I just fiddle with the dials. As Super_mil will attest that I have no clue when it comes to good rebound settings on a fork.

But I'll be happy to helpout where I can.

He can also check the shock and fork manufacturer sites for tuning guides. Those are usually a good starting point.

Ah so like most of us?

'youngster' as he is 23 ;) - he has a proper DH helmet ... will see how this whole thing progresses ......

haha, how tall is he, that bike looks like a small?

We have a friend who did the last Cascades DH on his Trail bike, he crashed at least twice every run but he had the biggest smile out of everyone that day.

Definitely worth the trip, even for beginners :thumbup:

How old is your lightie?

As far as I know he's in his 20's.

And I wouldn't say that one needs a Leatt brace. As to their 'life saving, can't do without' value... the jury is still out on that one. I think more riders don't use them than do (local and nternational, pro and fun rider).

I personally have one, but am beginning to wonder if the sacrifice of flexibility and comfort when wearing the brace, may in fact cause crashes that could be prevented if I were able to move freely on the bike?!

EDIT: I know the addage "dress for the crash", but from personal experience, I can say that wearing full upper body armour, as well as a neck brace hinders riding ability, more than it inspires confidence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for maximum protection, but it isn't always practical. I think a lot of it comes down to personal prefrence for each rider, and what they're willing/able to ride in.

Edited by patches

As far as I know he's in his 20's.

And I wouldn't say that one needs a Leatt brace. As to their 'life saving, can't do without' value... the jury is still out on that one. I think more riders don't use them than do (local and nternational, pro and fun rider).

I personally have one, but am beginning to wonder if the sacrifice of flexibility and comfort when wearing the brace, may in fact cause crashes that could be prevented if I were able to move freely on the bike, if I could?!

Fixed ;)

I have a full kit for sale if you're still looking?

Full Face helmet, Chest protector, Neck Brace, Elbow guards and knee/shin guards all for R3000...

I have a full kit for sale if you're still looking?

Full Face helmet, Chest protector, Neck Brace, Elbow guards and knee/shin guards all for R3000...

Price for the chest protector and neck brace only? The rest he has now ....

They are in good nic and i have the box with all the fittings as well. Will let it go for R2500 neg

post-9636-0-28577200-1394614524_thumb.jpg

post-9636-0-05549800-1394614567_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hein3G

You will need a LEAT Brace as well.

Really??? I must have missed the memo from CSA and the UCI about them being compulsory :whistling: :whistling: hahaha

GL ... you dont "need" a Leatt Brace - as has been said already in a couple of previous posts - many of the world cup riders do not use them. It is personal preference.

I for one dont like them so i dont use one .. neither does minnaar, hannah or stevie smith.

So its all about personal (or sponsorship) preference.

Hijack

I must get my eyes tested... every time I see the topic heading it on the quick preview pane it registers as " Killing a youngster...."

Bijack

That's the way mom sees it too.

Really??? I must have missed the memo from CSA and the UCI about them being compulsory :whistling: :whistling: hahaha

GL ... you dont "need" a Leatt Brace - as has been said already in a couple of previous posts - many of the world cup riders do not use them. It is personal preference.

I for one dont like them so i dont use one .. neither does minnaar, hannah or stevie smith.

So its all about personal (or sponsorship) preference.

Just because the Pro's don't use them doesn't make it loess of a good idea. Inexperienced riders are more likley to fall and crash and generally have not learnt how to fall properly. Watch guys like Minaar, Hannah, Smith et al, and see hwo they tuck and roll when they fall.

its the same with professional rugby players, most don't wear helmets or face guards but many do. Does the few that make it ok for experienced kids at high school to not wear them.

You're right it is your choice but that does not make the word "need" inappropriate