Body fat %

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accurately? I normally have mine done at a Biokeneticist, R160 through Vitality Fitness assesment but it is skin folds, not sure how accurately you want.

Skin fold is about as accurate as you can get. don't stress too much on the accuracy to compare to others, but rather as a comparison to your last/ next measurement. Try use the same person each time.

What you hoping to get it to?

Mike

The most accurate way is with Bodystat 1500 - known as a body composition test

The used electrical current to determine the % of fat, muscle, bone and fluid. I had both done at a recent wellness day at work and the caliber measurement was 3% out, which is quite a bit imo.

The caliper test is not accurate as it requires the administrator to use the correct place, which, by the own admission is not always consistent.

Accurately? I normally have mine done at a Biokeneticist, R160 through Vitality Fitness assesment but it is skin folds, not sure how accurately you want.

You paid R160 for somebody to measure the thickness of your skin and apply a formula to calculate your body fat?

When I worked at a gym, I used to do it all the time for free. It takes 2 minutes at most.

That biokeniticest must smile everytime someone walks into his office.

The two most accurate methods are "Hydrostatic weighing" (underwater weighing) and DXA Scan (Dual-emission X-ray absorptiometry). Theses methods are very expensive and are primarily used for research into body composition.

The rest of the methods (Bioelectrical impedance, Air Displacement Plethysmograph (ADP - BodPod), Skinfold caliper testing) are good for reporting and monitoring body composition. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Each method also has its own reference framework for what is acceptable and ideal body composition (Ie. compare Heath-Carter and Drinkwater-Ross methods of body composition).

Pick a method and stick to it......just make sure that you use that method's norms and standards.

There is a free test that's available, works mostly for men only tho.

Not approved by medical aids

1. Get undressed

2. Put on your cycling shorts (must be lycra type with elastic waist)

3. Stand side ways to a full length mirror

4. Take a good hard look and be honest with yourself

Skin-fold only gives you subcutaneous fat (on the outside of your body). That means nothing for your health. You can have a fairly good skin fold fat %, but still with lots of blops of jiggly fat around your vital organs (alias the inside of your body). That's what will make you drop dead even if you're fit. Then being fit, is not going to help you. I see lots off clients in this category.

Skin-fold only gives you subcutaneous fat (on the outside of your body). That means nothing for your health. You can have a fairly good skin fold fat %, but still with lots of blops of jiggly fat around your vital organs (alias the inside of your body). That's what will make you drop dead even if you're fit. Then being fit, is not going to help you. I see lots off clients in this category.

As a skinny dude how do u (not u...me :clap: ) check your "inside fat"

Very interesting, any contacts in the Gauteng Area you can refer me to?

Pick a method and stick to it......just make sure that you use that method's norms and standards.

The best method is the belt..... specifically the hole you use for the buckle.... :)

On that note I gave my old army web belt to my son to play with the other day.... still set to it's original setting... mmmm.... going to have to do some SERIOUS work....

Those scales are pretty useless imo. I have a top of the range one at home, but the fat % differ a lot, depending on time of day, time since last meal, after a nap, etc etc. Besides that, in my case of 7.5hrs of excersise a week, it gets the fat % wrong by a big margin.

The best method is the belt..... specifically the hole you use for the buckle.... :)

On that note I gave my old army web belt to my son to play with the other day.... still set to it's original setting... mmmm.... going to have to do some SERIOUS work....

This method has also been validated as a very reliable way to predict performance. When the distance between the origin (buckle) and hole for buckle pin decrease there is an inverse relationship to performance, specifically the component associated with an abrupt increase in geographical elevation over extended distances.

Archived