Argus 2014-Lessons Learned

NeoOne

Finished in the middle of C so don't think it was the 'wrong thing'.

But you get what I'm saying? You got a good seeding and opted to make use of it. Seeding of the ladies and tandems will always be a sticky issue as there are simply not enough competitors to fill a full chute with, so there are always dead wood. It does not mean that all ladies and tandems should be relegated to a 8am start. We should just try to get these groups more competitive as a whole.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A road tyre is a 29" tyre.

Doubt it would have worked with my rims - I have extra wide downhill Stans ZTR Flow EX 29er rims which most likely the tyres wouldn't have seated on properly.

I asked about it while I was there and the onsite mechs confirmed it wouldn't work unfortunately. Very disappointed.

Edited by Journosergio

These 3 (the last 3 finishers of C) colluded together via some backdoor process. Maybe they're PPA officials.

http://results.racet...PID=536046&HL=1

http://results.racet...PID=536047&HL=1

http://results.racet...PID=561585&HL=1

Who's gonna make k@k about this?

I know some people due to medical conditions such as sensitivity to sun get bumped up groups on application but that looks like the jumped up groups which is a little silly for slow riders in their 50's.

Everyone always moaning about the race organisers. Why don't U! the Moaner, do a race for 35000 people and see wot happens. Its a fun ride, just ride it and get your medal. Who cares about the official race time if you are starting 3000 places down.

Gun gos off u start ur watch, but u only reach the start mat 2 min later... start it then

Looking at the results, I have learnt that age is not a factor for completing the Argus even if you are 90+ years old....what an amazing achievement by all those more mature people... WELL DONE

With the popularity of the Argus and the number of people that do it over and over and over and over again, they will soon (ok 13 years time) have to bring out the 50+ club for those that have done 50 or more finishes :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Edited by Btus

I think the seeding was spot on in my case, finished 15/45 in my sub group and something like 60/365 of start group. So by racetec and PPA seeding, they were spot on.

They based my seeding almost entirely on 2014 99er...

Finished in the middle of C so don't think it was the 'wrong thing'.

What bike were you on? Didnt spot / look for XX1

I couldn't find a rubbish bin in the start area. Felt like London where they're scared people will put bombs in it.

I think the seeding was spot on in my case, finished 15/45 in my sub group and something like 60/365 of start group. So by racetec and PPA seeding, they were spot on.

They based my seeding almost entirely on 2014 99er...

They need to please please do better with mine. Counting the batch sizes I started around 7000th position and finished in about 3000th from group "U". So I was one of those shouting "passing right, passing right" up most hills.

While I get the whole fun rider bit, are you seriously saying that the lack of a free little chocolate bar caused this much discontent in your day? You couldn't just put a piece of food in your back pocket?

Also missed that bar one, managed to overcome the initial trauma and had a great ride

So what ally worked

The separate number one stands for the guys

The chuck zones brilliant idea

They can have more loos, yes still, and spread them out better so you don't have to try and climb over everybody with bike above your head

Edited by Tjokkits

This was a big disappointment to me as well, as a fun rider I plan my route around the water points stops e.g. 1. Simons town 2. bar one 3. Lebombo 4 hout bay.

The bar one stand is always a great sugar boost and albeit snickers has bought the slot via cycle tour I feel they need to spend some of their big budget with a stand on the day which benefits the riders. Imagine if energade was to 'buy' the marketing sports drnk rights from powerade and gives each rider a 500ml bottle of energade in our race packs but no support on the day on the course. So it's very simple really, either 1 in and 1 out or don't mess with a winning formular so to the cycle tour organizers snickers must step up to the plate and fill the role previously managed by bar one or they give the water point back to Nesle. I'm pretty indifferent snickers or bar one but there must be at least 1 on the bend to misty cliffs

It was more the Bar One girls that I missed. Gave that whole area a great vibe.

The organisers should have marshals to warn riders as well as barriers on the sharp 90 degree right hand turn on the Chapmans Peak decent (just after the toll booths). Apparently there were later in the day, but nothing at 9:00am. I for one had a major crash there and went over the wall and down Champmans cliff face. While recovered my bike, another 3 riders crashed in 2 separate accidents on the corner.

Load Area: Better and BIGGER signage would have helped.

Seeding: Riding the Argus once a year is not enough information to gauge a riders capability (IMO). Perhaps have a minimum number of specified races that you MUST do to enter the Argus.

Chuck zones: Great idea but some warning signs so that you can get to the correct side of the road before the chuck zone.

The start under the Civic Centre is a mess when the wind is even slightly up. Move the start line??

Provide a snack or two at the feeding stations but that is what pockets are for i guess.

Have a group for younger riders/development riders under the guidance of an experienced mentor?? (The Nedbank chaps (OA Numbers) were a nightmare IMO)