Assessing A Post Crash Carbon Frame

Wez-O

It helps if you fall 5m from the medics :D

True! The medics and a photographer literally pulled me back up the hill by my shoes (as I was upside down).

Anytime you can walk away it's something to be grateful for.

My carbon frame has been repaired on the chainstay and holds up well and thats a MTB so I'm sure you could repair any damage, but if you're insured then no need to take that risk.

Always nice getting a new bike

Very grateful indeed!

I would actually try and get it written off.

Cycling is all about confidence and if you arent 100% sure your frame and fork are perfect, you will never give it everything which is really dangerous and nerve wracking.

Really glad you're ok. I saw 3 accidents on my descent of chappies and all of them looked like broken collar bones or separated scapulas. One lady was just sitting in the middle of the road on her bum bolt upright clutching her arm to her chest. Not cool.

But yeah, x-ray and also the frequency test... If the carbon is undamaged it will resonate with an even frequency of it is pinged. If there is a break in the weave the frequency will be disturbed and you will hear (with the use of a stethoscope) where the sound alters.

good luck

My take as a layman in these things is that there are two types of impact to consider, one is the sharp focussed hit, which causes a clear crack or break. The other the the more dispersed force created by a high speed crash, which could cause no visible damage but a weakening of the frame by creating micro fractures in the bonding agent. Quite frankly I would not have full confidence in the frame.

Flog it on the hub as "hardly been ridden" and "under 500 km's on it"

The last bit was in jest BTW

Ingenious, but rather extreme, way of getting a new bike. :whistling:

The principle of indemnity replies, your insurer has a duty to place you in the same position you were before you bought property on Chappies.

If they can't satisfactorily address your very reasonable latent damage concerns, considering the circumstances and speed you went down, they must replace it (if your sum insured is adequate) or just pay you the amount equivalent to what they would be able to source a new frame for.

Thanks lads!

Although I didn't get the chance to fully check out the bike post race, I dread to think what kind of potential damage the heavy impact could have done, even though I don't think there were any direct hits on the frame (apart from the 45 fynbushes my bike and I took out).

Thanks again for the advice!

If the frame is written off and the damage isn't too bad maybe a single speed project in the making....

How do you look after the crash?

Won't they take it back, same as a car? Could you not buy it back from them, and in saying this, would they sell a potentially damaged frame themselves? Surely they couldn't do that if yourself/someone could get injured if the frame was to fail at some stage?

True! The medics and a photographer literally pulled me back up the hill by my shoes (as I was upside down).

Very grateful indeed!

They do say that any landing that you walk away from is a good landing...especially after you got a bit of air :whistling:

After a crash last year I only claimed the STI,s rear derailleur, peddles, saddle , handlebat and front wheel from insurance. They insisted on a full report from my LBS as wel as a full replacement quote. After they assessed (based on report and photos) they paid for a full replacement based on they cannot risk a carbon frame with possible damage and a maybe future claim. I asked if I can buy back the "wreck" and offered them about 7% of claim value. This is now my bike on indoor trainer

After a crash last year I only claimed the STI,s rear derailleur, peddles, saddle , handlebat and front wheel from insurance. They insisted on a full report from my LBS as wel as a full replacement quote. After they assessed (based on report and photos) they paid for a full replacement based on they cannot risk a carbon frame with possible damage and a maybe future claim. I asked if I can buy back the "wreck" and offered them about 7% of claim value. This is now my bike on indoor trainer

Well that knocked my theory out the park for a home run :ph34r:

Wez-O: Sorry to hear of your crash. Glad you are OK though. When your grazes and whiplash have healed, you are left with a great story. One that you can dine out on for years to come!

Apologies for the slight hi-jack

My carbon frame was broken in last year's Argus (and replaced by insurance)

Where in Cape Town could I get it repaired?

(I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere before, but my search was futile)

Edited by splat

Thanks lads!

Although I didn't get the chance to fully check out the bike post race, I dread to think what kind of potential damage the heavy impact could have done, even though I don't think there were any direct hits on the frame (apart from the 45 fynbushes my bike and I took out).

Thanks again for the advice!

Oh no you took out 45 Fynbos plants on Chappies, that's going to cause a furore, the bunny huggers are going to chain themselves to your new carbon frame before next years argus to make sure you dont do that again. Perhaps get a hemp bike to keep them happy

Wez-O: Sorry to hear of your crash. Glad you are OK though. When your grazes and whiplash have healed, you are left with a great story. One that you can dine out on for years to come!

get hold of bogusone

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum/user/7810-bogusone/

Speak to me..... Post some pics of the damage on your frame and ill tell you if I can fix it....

Oh no you took out 45 Fynbos plants on Chappies, that's going to cause a furore, the bunny huggers are going to chain themselves to your new carbon frame before next years argus to make sure you dont do that again. Perhaps get a hemp bike to keep them happy

O yes, I was thinking just that! I'll have to ride next years race incognito...

Speak to me..... Post some pics of the damage on your frame and ill tell you if I can fix it....

Thanks BogusOne!