A bike on the Gautrain

Letum911

Bows can kill things.

So can an umbrella. Would they stop someone coming through the gates with an umbrella? And when u have been on the move for 36 hours, and gone through numerous ('1st world') security gates with said bow with no problem, the last thing you want to encounter on the last stretch home is feeblemindedness, first thing in the morning,

That's how they need to learn how to apply the rules, with a bit of savy, a bit of sensitivity and dare I mention suss, but its not going to happen on Gautrain with the crew they have there, who besides hassling passengers over petty issues, can generally be seen slouching around, looking at videos on the phones.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So can an umbrella. Would they stop someone coming through the gates with an umbrella? And when u have been on the move for 36 hours, and gone through numerous ('1st world') security gates with said bow with no problem, the last thing you want to encounter on the last stretch home is feeblemindedness, first thing in the morning,

That's how they need to learn how to apply the rules, with a bit of savy, a bit of sensitivity and dare I mention suss, but its not going to happen on Gautrain with the crew they have there, who besides hassling passengers over petty issues, can generally be seen slouching around, looking at videos on the phones.

No. I disagree.

They're strict because in my experience the average South African of a certain means (like a Gautrain user) has a very sickening entitlement complex.

And I've never seen a guard slouching around as you put it.

I stand by saying that you, me, all of us, should stop looking for the lowest common denominator, and start building a future we'd like our children to have.

Edited by Cellar

What are the options for locking the bike at the station for the day?

there is bicycle parking at allthe stations. Just take a secure lock.

and a bike that is not the most expensive.

there is bicycle parking at allthe stations. Just take a secure lock.

and a bike that is not the most expensive.

Hi Guys

This might be off topic a bit

Does anyone know if the Gautrain realy got stuck on Friday 14 March around 17H00-19H00 at Malboro

If anyone knows this please let me know

Ok so an update on the bike on a train situation. I spoke to different people and never got a solid answer or the same answer twice.

Security guard: Yes bikes are allowed but they have to be covered. (He did not specify how the bike needs to be covered)

Call centre lady 1: No bike allowed at all

Call centre lady 2: Only a foldable bike is allowed and it has to be in a bike.

Random person that overheard me speaking to Call centre lady 1 (I was on campus at the time): Buy a bike bag, put the bike in, security allows "luggage" of most shapes and sizes so they just ignore it.

Now the problem comes in: With the cost of a basic bike bag being around R1600 in SA, is it really cheaper to use the train as alternative transport?

Second problem is: What do you do with the bag once you get to your train stop?

Ok so an update on the bike on a train situation. I spoke to different people and never got a solid answer or the same answer twice.

Security guard: Yes bikes are allowed but they have to be covered. (He did not specify how the bike needs to be covered)

Call centre lady 1: No bike allowed at all

Call centre lady 2: Only a foldable bike is allowed and it has to be in a bike.

Random person that overheard me speaking to Call centre lady 1 (I was on campus at the time): Buy a bike bag, put the bike in, security allows "luggage" of most shapes and sizes so they just ignore it.

Now the problem comes in: With the cost of a basic bike bag being around R1600 in SA, is it really cheaper to use the train as alternative transport?

Second problem is: What do you do with the bag once you get to your train stop?

One of the original posters, had a bag made out of denim material (a lot cheaper than R100 I'd guess), just to appease the Gautrain officials. Once he arrived in Sandton, he would then fold up the bag, put it into his back pack and ride of into the sunrise..

One of the original posters, had a bag made out of denim material (a lot cheaper than R100 I'd guess), just to appease the Gautrain officials. Once he arrived in Sandton, he would then fold up the bag, put it into his back pack and ride of into the sunrise..

The demin bag rolled up to size of a lightweight sleeping bag and weighed about 2,5kgs. It fitted easily into a backpack.

Eventually I bought a 2nd cheap SS and two D locks from Chain Reaction Cycles. Then I had a bike at either end of my commute and no hassle with bags and carrying bike on the train.

It did take a little extra effort at the work end of my train journey to ensure that bike never spent the weekend locked up at the station.

I did the locking of bikes at the stations for over 6 months without any hassles

Edited by I FLY