Bike wash

Active Monkey

Question. Is this normal after a wash?

I used my chain cleaner with water and Cleen Grean and then applied Smoove afterwards.

Not sure if it should look like that or if I'm being paranoid.

I am aware of the dust still there, wasn't the easiest to clean my bike in the basement parking of my complex (the joys of living in a complex) as the light isn't the greatest down there.

post-28639-1404132754,1055.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No it should definitely not look like that. That does not even look like its been attempted to wash!!!

I used my chain cleaner with water and Cleen Grean and then applied Smoove afterwards.

I am aware of the dust still there, wasn't the easiest to clean my bike in the basement parking of my complex (the joys of living in a complex) as the light isn't the greatest down there.

post-28639-1404132754,1055.jpg

Not cleaned properly - not even close.

I wash my bike like I wash my car. I use a hosepipe to get rid of most of the dirt, wash it with car shampoo, a bucket and a sponge. Rinse it off again. When it's dry, the bike gets oil and 'spook pis' where it needs to get it.

Don't use a high pressure spray.

I only use a high pressure hose with clean green. obviously not directing the spray directly into seals etc. but its really the only practical way unless you have the time to spend 30 minutes after each ride with friggin earbuds and all sorts of solvents or to carry it into your bath etc. as has been suggested on this fred.

Regarding Cleen Green. I've heard people say it is too strong and will damage the cassette. What is the opinion on that? Also, where should it be applied and where not?

edit: typo.

Edited by tinycle

I only use a high pressure hose with clean green. obviously not directing the spray directly into seals etc. but its really the only practical way unless you have the time to spend 30 minutes after each ride with friggin earbuds and all sorts of solvents or to carry it into your bath etc. as has been suggested on this fred.

Clean green does not work very well at all as a solvent - I use a deagreaser from Tri-det chemicals in Linden - apply with a small brush to chain and sprockets, spray whole bike with muc off, and wash - takes 5 min.

What would be the best grease to use after cleaning and doing routine services???

What do you want to grease after cleaning? I usually use Bel-ray waterproof grease for most things on the bike - cheap and good.

What do you want to grease after cleaning? I usually use Bel-ray waterproof grease for most things on the bike - cheap and good.

well, I actually want to start servicing my bike, started collecting some tools but wasnt sure what grease to get for stuff like ( installing BB, replacing/cleaning headset)...

and where is the best place to buy grease from?

Edited by Dewald3

Got off early from work today. So reattempting this. Brush ready + more Cleen Grean + better light.

post-28639-1404134020,9161.jpg

That's a brilliant idea.. in someone else's house. ;)

Buy a tin of Rally No Hands and spray those areas that wont come clean. Leave until most of the stuff has dripped off. spray with some water and wash or brush, as you wish. Dry. Thank me later.