The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Have done this race in the past and it was thoroughly impressive...  Remember this is a duathlon AND triathlon event.  

I agree entry price is steep but still well below what one generally pays for ultra triathlons these days...

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha - Savage, that was a nice giggle... 

I did the "dirt jog" as part of the Sanlam Marathon on Saturday. Signal Hill and Leeukop. But for some congestion in the beginning - school fees, don't stand riiiiight at the back for an unseeded trailrun!  :blush: - it was awesome! First time I ran there, so really enjoyed it and took a lot of snaps - not as if I was ever going to win it! Genuine awesome route and great views, will take some buddies one weekend and return to those slopes.

My sense of humour did fail... twice. Those that were there will appreciate both moments. First when, after about 19k's, they show you the road down 3 (street) blocks of stairs you climbed up at the start. I just laughed when I realised what was coming. But even worse was the realisation that I could get a seat riiiiight next to the Mitchell's draught supply, but there was nobody there to pour the Mitchell's?! Seriously?!  :eek: After a trail run - no beer? What did they think I drag my sorry azz over a mountain for? 

Next up the Fairview goat run. First... somebody have a spare set of quads?  :blush:

Did the Gauteng leg of the Rhino run yesterday, was very, very technical 15km route. But was well organized and route markings were clear.

Just entered Impi Elite again.... CT#2 18 Oct. See me sitting on my cement brick on Elsenburg koppie swearing alot. I was built by God to play hooker and be used as a doorstop. Hills on a MTB or running destroys me.

Who else is doing it?

Eendag as ek groot is... Man, that would be awesome to do, but no. Ironically I know a guy who went on the shortlist and actually got an entry in the lucky draw. Even more ironically, I saw him beginning of Sept - and he just started running again after a bout of illness. 

You doing it, Riaan?

BTW, while we're chatting... I know shoes were discussed earlier. But I am going for a new pair.

I am 90% set on Sense Pro, but now heard that I might be able to get Sense Ultra and Ultra SG for same price (the 3, not the new 4 - for obvious reasons). I have looked at Saucony Peregrine as well, but I think I eliminated this. Which is sad, because I thought it will be a perfect "match" to my road shoes (Kinvara).  

Any experiences to share on those?

<script language='javascript'> </script>

BTW, while we're chatting... I know shoes were discussed earlier. But I am going for a new pair.

I am 90% set on Sense Pro, but now heard that I might be able to get Sense Ultra and Ultra SG for same price (the 3, not the new 4 - for obvious reasons). I have looked at Saucony Peregrine as well, but I think I eliminated this. Which is sad, because I thought it will be a perfect "match" to my road shoes (Kinvara).  

I run with Sense Pro, great shoe, nice stack height and nice comfortable offset (I think 6mm) and looks to be pretty durable.  Sense Ultra's are race shoes and in my opinion, not for everyday athletes to train in and race in, as they are minimal and not durable at all. That being said I have not ran in the Ultra's myself

Sense Pro:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6uNDURSvwHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sense Ultra:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-1sk5OtAJrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Resonating on Raab's comment. I also run on Sense Pro's - the most undermarketed Salomon shoes in SA. I've mentioned in the another thread as well about the nice combination of lightweight, cushioning and low drop (6m) (but not yet minimalist) which makes this a great shoe for both training and racing.

The Ultra saves about 10 grams per shoe, and drops down to 4mm H2T. They're meant to last about 400km of racing. If you just do farm roads they'll last longer.

After 420km in my Sense Pro's, the tread is at about 80-90%. Cushioning still fine. There are two downsides though: The uppers in the toe box seemed that they may see a blow out soon at my pinky-toe, so I duct-taped it from the inside as a precaution. (this is a common issue with lighter uppers and trail shoes used on heavier terrain). Also, I have the flashy blue / neon yellow ones which quickly picks up dirt.

Agreed, they are very under marketed, not sure why though?

Blue and black ones for me, unfortunately we don't get the black and red ones in SA I think.

A friend of mine has a dark red pair. Think he got that at the concept store. Dark red with black heel?

See below (very niiice!)
post-9887-0-04607900-1443693945_thumb.jpg

Funny thing about the Pro's - around here I only see the dark blue (and black heel) ones in shops. On Salomon site they feature a totally drool-worthy (in my taste) colour - dark (greyish) blue with green at the heel. (And then the above Red-Black.) But the blue colour is not even on the site.

post-9887-0-35345100-1443693792_thumb.jpg

Ja, I was gunning for the 4mm drop (instead of 6mm on the Pro) and the more flexible shoe, since the rock plate does not run as deep. But if they don't last, then hmmmm. I have actually read of a reviewer that ran with them for almost 1500k's!  :eek:  I don't even get that on my road shoes... presume he's built like a mosquito and most likely runs VERY light and effective.

The other point is, even if I do get them at the same price-point that the Pro's - I won't feel I justify the shoes, even though they might be better! I'll feel like I'm pitching up with a S_Works Epic at a 20k family funride.

The Blue/Back combo is old stock: end-2014 model I think. The other two are the new models that came out about a month ago. The only difference is the colours, but also using the bike analogy: I won't pay the full price on a 2014 frame - even if the only difference is the coating!  ;)

Somerset-Sport should have them or they could order them from Salomon themselves - cheaper than the concept store :thumbup:  Poobie Naidoos also have the Black-Green ones for R1450, but not in half-sizes  <_<

And on the Ultras: Don't worry what others think. I've seen guys doing the shortest of distances at a comfortable pace in the Ultra's.

Side note - there is a Trail Run next Sat - 10 Oct at Kings Farm (old Hazeldene farm) behind Silverlakes in Pretoria.

Options are 5/12/23km

It is also the 'Beast of the East' MTB race from the same venue.

Entries are on entrytime.co.za.

See you out there.

I have done a fair bit of running well actually sport in my life but have only recently started trail running (it was the only way I ran whilst still growing up on the farm.  However I would like to join a club in Pta or Centurion just to meet with some like minded people and maybe get my arse into gear to be a little more serious about it.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Sense Pro's it is... Plan is to have a quick run in them tomorrow and then properly introduce them to the mountain at La Capra Goat Run next week!  :w00t:  

• No, it may be early in their life, but they can't hurt me more than my current shoes, so... willing to take that slight gamble.
  • No, the drop should not be an issue, my road shoes (Kinvara) have 4mm drop.