The Trail Running Thread

Weight Weenie

Eendag as ek groot is... Man, that would be awesome to do, but no. Ironically I know a guy who went on the shortlist and actually got an entry in the lucky draw. Even more ironically, I saw him beginning of Sept - and he just started running again after a bout of illness.

You doing it, Riaan?

jip got a entry 2 days ago.

just going for the 11 hours cut of i've been abroad and cant train and i got a spur on my heel.

my running has been non existent for last 12 months.

it will be more of a power hike than a run.

Anyone else going?

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, this may be a bit boring, but... I love those shoes! 

Went for a Park Run on Sat (my first) and a friend suggested to use them because I am going to run harder than a normal training run. Awesomeness! Went back to walk the last bit with the rest of the family, nothing resembling pain. 

Yesterday I went on a run. Thought I'd take them out for a more gentle, but longer run before Goat Run. Then thought I'm going to look for the canon in the Mountain, had a fair idea of where it should be. Found it without too much hassles. Then went on and thought all is feeling well, another bit here, run there, got home and I did 25 k's - very little of them flat.

Probably not the intro you should give yourself to new shoes, but all is perfect this morning. Typical, go for a 25k run to see whether you'll be able to do a 15k one!  :blush:  :whistling:

Finding shoes that work must be amazing!!!!

I have a pair of Asic Trabuco, Salomon 3D. older Salomon wings and now Brookes Cascadia 9. They are also fitted with inserts made by Podiatrist.

I struggle with heavy Compartment syndrome in my left leg. I cannot do more than 2 x 8km trail runs a week otherwise my legs will be busted for 5 days or more. Next step is surgery to relieve the pressure problems. Or stop running and just cycle, but what is the fun in that. 

Sometimes I think the shoes, cycling gear, and most sporting equipment associated with endurance sports are aimed at the 1.9m 75kg snakes. Ex Rugby no.2's and heavier build vertically challenged are not catered for.

Doing the La Capra on the weekend. Really out of running form after a winter of indulgence and travel. Going to struggle, but looking forward to it.

Not to worry, droenn... We're going to have fun, that's what counts! Potentially wet fun, but... fun nonetheless! What is it with the weather this year?!

Doing the 15. Pretty sure the route they sent will run clockwise, which will mean some interesting climbing - and the descend at the end will be great fun! We did that by bike a while ago. We also did pretty close to what seems to be the climb in that same ride. I'll have to find a willing calve rubbing expert, because we're going UP! if it's the same climb... Lekker man, lekker!

Then again, there'll be CBC's at the end - it'll make it worthwhile!  :clap:   :w00t:  :thumbup:

Not to worry, droenn... We're going to have fun, that's what counts! Potentially wet fun, but... fun nonetheless! What is it with the weather this year?!

Doing the 15. Pretty sure the route they sent will run clockwise, which will mean some interesting climbing - and the descend at the end will be great fun! We did that by bike a while ago. We also did pretty close to what seems to be the climb in that same ride. I'll have to find a willing calve rubbing expert, because we're going UP! if it's the same climb... Lekker man, lekker!

Then again, there'll be CBC's at the end - it'll make it worthwhile!  :clap:   :w00t:  :thumbup:

CBC's are partly to blame for my extra heft going into this one! Haha, but will be fun (in some weird definition of fun) A wet 15 km with 900 m ascent!

Feeling that goat run today in the hips - some pretty steep descents with all sorts of different angles at speed!

Good fun, didn't bother trying to run up that first climb to get on top of mountain, but onwards from there was a beautiful run.

....some pretty steep descents with all sorts of different angles at speed!

That's why I like trail running!

Having some FOMO now - having missed out on La Capra, Warrior Race and Gunrun.

Really enjoyed the Goat Run! (Sorry Koei...) 

I actually thought the route was going to go the other way around according to the elevation profile we received earlier the week and was really looking forward to coming DOWN that initial ascend. In hindsight, it was a bit snotterig, so coming down there would have made for some spills... From where I started, it was impossible to do anything but walk up there, since the entire road was clogged with people walking. But I would not have run much more than I did up there anyways. From there on, great fun! 

The fact that I wasn't stiff was most likely due to not pushing too hard. Yes, I still took some snappies mid"race" again. :blush:  :whistling:  Unreal to think though that the (15k) winner came in in just over an hour! I don't do that on a flat road for 15 k's, let alone on that route.

Friend of mine did the 28 and she said it felt like 128 at some stage!  ^_^

I can hardly move my legs after yesterday's Rock Rabit. Two climbs of more or less 70m 1@23% grade and the other @26% was only 9km but with my undertrained undercarage it was carnage. Verry nive to get out again tho. Now for the last two weeks of resting this stress fracture.

Good Day All

Doing the Brauhaus Mountain Trail run on saturday (45Km).This will be my first full Marathon run.Has any one done this race before.Looking forward to it.Below is the route information

Cheers

Route information: The route is NOT marked so each athlete will be given a map to assist on their journey. The race will start at the church and will proceed on jeep track all the way up the mountain to CHECK POINT 1 . Here the athletes will have their card punched and will proceed left of the check point back towards BREEDTS NEK where they will go through CHECK POINT 2. Here they will basically go back the way they came to CHECK POINT 3 where there will be water and some basic nutrition. Bearing in mind the athletes MUST carry a minimum of 3L of water as well as enough nutrition for the duration of the race, and the ever important FULLY charged cell phone. At this 3rd check point they make the journey across the magnificent mountain, keeping the ridge to their LEFT to the crescent where they make their way down the Elephants Trunk to CHECK POINT 4 , Dam Wall. There will be flags at the top of the mountain indicating the safest route down . Please don’t be a hero and try to take another route. Use this route!!!. From CHECK POINT 4 the route will be marked all the way to the Brauhaus (aprox 10km) where there will be Ice Cold beer and a hero’s welcome.

Good Day All

Doing the Brauhaus Mountain Trail run on saturday (45Km).This will be my first full Marathon run.Has any one done this race before.Looking forward to it.Below is the route information

Cheers

Route information: The route is NOT marked so each athlete will be given a map to assist on their journey. The race will start at the church and will proceed on jeep track all the way up the mountain to CHECK POINT 1 . Here the athletes will have their card punched and will proceed left of the check point back towards BREEDTS NEK where they will go through CHECK POINT 2. Here they will basically go back the way they came to CHECK POINT 3 where there will be water and some basic nutrition. Bearing in mind the athletes MUST carry a minimum of 3L of water as well as enough nutrition for the duration of the race, and the ever important FULLY charged cell phone. At this 3rd check point they make the journey across the magnificent mountain, keeping the ridge to their LEFT to the crescent where they make their way down the Elephants Trunk to CHECK POINT 4 , Dam Wall. There will be flags at the top of the mountain indicating the safest route down . Please don’t be a hero and try to take another route. Use this route!!!. From CHECK POINT 4 the route will be marked all the way to the Brauhaus (aprox 10km) where there will be Ice Cold beer and a hero’s welcome.

nice one, good luck. 

Good Day All

Cheers

Joh this looks like fine. And challenging! Friends of mine did an orienting type race here in the WC. They took more than twice their planned time to finish the race.

Good luck and have fun!  :thumbup:

Just name a thing Brauhaus and I'm optimistic!  :clap:

I know this is not trail, but... I am not going to have much ito fun this weekend. I have somehow convinced myself it's a bright idea to enter for my first marathon.  :ph34r: Entered for Winelands. Klaar, done and dusted. So this weekend I must force myself to have a 30+ session on the road. Will most likely run to the Parkrun, do it (slowwwly!) and back. Just don't know what I'm going to do with myself for the there and back sections of 16k's each. Just... straight.... road. At least I'll have good company - Me and Myself are tagging along - the three of us make a merry team!  ^_^