(Update) Absa Cape Epic: Evans and Knox penalised for unfair advantage

News bot

Guest Karma

sorry Sworks20 but did you not crack the nod to ride for Fedgroupitec???

Get a life bud and post some meaningful comments

Pot. Kettle. Black.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

look we all have cut a corner at some point to pass a slow poke....but we are not pro's and its not an international event

as for Bridget Min swearing at some oke...yeah..I can see that

As for the fine for dropping a bottle...yes...but then fine everyone who was littering

seems someone in the fedgroup team has pissed someone in the epic organisation committee off BIG TIME

I tend to just tap the back wheel with my front and then move past either by telling them I'm coming past or if they chose to ignore me, just push past in the brush. Higher puncture risk for sure. However there class of mTB'er we have in SA tend to become very stroppy when being passed and resort to name calling.

I can understand Kevin's frustration at wanting to get back to his team mate, especially when other teams are tactically trying to prevent you from doing so. Its a frustrating part of what the make up of 2man MTB racing. He cut out at least 50m which s not a big deal in the grand scheme of the event. I also understand the commissaires decision now in that the team's time is taken at the 2nd rider. Kevin being behind Max meant that the team's time resided on Kevin's shoulders which is probably a little fact of the rules he likely forgot and just got caught up in the moment of needing to get back to his team mate.

At the end of the day, the material difference to the race distance covered in lost in the measurement accuracy of the measuring devices therefore I still think the penalty is harsh, but the fact is he did cut out a chunk of track and was observed doing so.

I just get the feeling that the race commissaires are looking to make examples of people. From back makers having trance amounts of dope to silly little infringements

Guest Karma

Rules are rules. So in your humble opinion how many of these silly corners must one cut before the 1hr penalty is enforced?

On the topic of rules are rules, I would just like to point out, that double posters are not looked upon lightly. The mod team is looking into a few that have suddenly popped up.

If found out, your accounts will be banned.

Also, cut out the personal attacks, inciting and baiting. Regard this as a general warning to all on this thread. Next time it will be a formal warning !

I find it rather sad that it came to this. Silly move/ error in Kevin's side. But KE is still one of the nicest and most humble riders in SA.

Here is a soundclip of him explaining the incident.

https://t.co/35dGRyAHCa

A few years back Buryy and Sauser got a 1 hr penalty for accepting a wheel.....if I'm not mistaken from Brandon Stewart. Today I've read reports of great sportsmanship because the yellow jersey guys got given a wheel by a team out of contention when they punctured ????????????? So has the rule changed ? This was not a backup team ?

In the last few years the rules have changed, one can give and take help, including parts ( but not the frame ) between any riders other than outcasts

A few years back Buryy and Sauser got a 1 hr penalty for accepting a wheel.....if I'm not mistaken from Brandon Stewart. Today I've read reports of great sportsmanship because the yellow jersey guys got given a wheel by a team out of contention when they punctured ????????????? So has the rule changed ? This was not a backup team ?

Do yourself a favour and read the rules before commenting...

the issue is in those incidents no one lodged a protest because the gesture were viewed as sportsmanship. I recall shortcuts or "trimming" of switchbacks in previous events as well, no one ever made a big deal about these incidents because everyone was doing it at one point or another.

No one lodged a protest last year when Mennen went deer hunting with an unlicensed MTB.

But as has been argued many times rules are rules. Forget sportsmanship, its just a hippy ideal that the history of the event is built on. That's not important anymore, Winning at all costs is the new Epic. The transformation to corporate culture is now complete. Enjoy!

If I recall correctly, Burry got a whole bike..not just the wheel. It started with a gesture for a wheel but it did not fit Burry's bike so they swapped bikes there and then.

The 2004 Epic, the bikes an wheels were marked with your race number. You had to finish on those parts.

sorry Sworks20 but did you not crack the nod to ride for Fedgroupitec???

Get a life bud and post some meaningful comments

Shame, your team not looking so good anymore? Get life yourself and besides why would I ever want to ride for a team with such a dark cloud over them? Last thing I would ever want to do is ride for this bunch. I dont even think Ricco would want to ride for them.

Kevin Evans @kevinevansracin

ACE stage 6, Oak Valley loop, 85km, 1800m. 1600 switchbacks. 1599 for me;)

Reminds me of JZ - " I got 99 problems but the switchbacks aint one" :P