ABSA Cape Epic 2015

Sasquatch

In fact, we can look forward to some excellent MTBers coming through the ranks in the next 10 years, thanks to the initiatives by Spur to grow the sport at school level.  Some of these have progressed to XCO and are doing very well.  Kevin could think of forming a team himself as team manager with cooperation from a sponsor and then to go talent scouting for some of these riders and to coach them into world class riders.

There is a small problem though.

We get many riders coming through the ranks but many even though good are really not exceptional, people can't comprehend what the difference is between a top 10 rider at World Cup level versus the podium finishers.

The other problem we have is that many of these youngsters are pushed very hard by their parents and once they get to an age where they can decide for themselves as to what they want to do, they realise they are burnt out and either sit back and chill or even worse leave the sport.

Those who stay behind and get sponsorship become prima donnas and live with delusions of grandeur and end up marketing themselves really well to keep getting sponsorship thrown at them.

What we need is an academy, that very same academy needs to find the absolute best of the best, get them to race under pressure, get them overseas so we/they and all can see if they are capable of making a name for themselves and their country .

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knox and Evans weren't even close. They simply aren't in the same league as the rest of the African contenders. No wonder they're living off scraps.

Bit condescending?  Max won Sabie XCM and I am sure he will do well in the rest of the national XCM series.

Just bear in mind that for some riders it is already a victory to be healthy enough to be on the start line.

Bit condescending?  Max won Sabie XCM and I am sure he will do well in the rest of the national XCM series.

Just bear in mind that for some riders it is already a victory to be healthy enough to be on the start line.

I think given Max with a different partner, he would have had a better Epic.

They still finished 20th in their category, but like Wyatt said the gap between top10 and podium is massive. The gap between top 20 and podium is even bigger. Its a hard reality just how far off they were. However, those two are class rider, this epic shouldn't be a reflection on what they are able to do. Also, RECM didn't exactly set the place on fire after it was expected they would be fighting for the Red jersey. 

They still finished 20th in their category, but like Wyatt said the gap between top10 and podium is massive. The gap between top 20 and podium is even bigger. Its a hard reality just how far off they were. However, those two are class rider, this epic shouldn't be a reflection on what they are able to do. Also, RECM didn't exactly set the place on fire after it was expected they would be fighting for the Red jersey. 

Did RECM not give up their aspirations by being a back up team for the main men?

Did RECM not give up their aspirations by being a back up team for the main men?

Yes, theoretically, but how many times did they actual have to stop for them? I am not aware of one time that they were close enough to be able to help when Susie and Jaro had issues.

Yes, theoretically, but how many times did they actual have to stop for them? I am not aware of one time that they were close enough to be able to help when Susie and Jaro had issues.

Not sure about that but I do recall that one time when Nico Bell was doing the mechanic thing on Jaro's RD .....

I think given Max with a different partner, he would have had a better Epic.

Yebo

From what I've seen, Max was most often in front, driving the pace, allowing for slip.

Ads on the last 2kms of racing?????? Seriously??????!!!!!

I was positively livid over this. I mean, the moment they enter the Single Track going down Dorstberg, two teams chasing each other, the team at the back the one more technicaly adept, and they go into a Ad Break. W.T.F!!! :cursing:  :cursing:  This was the stage where things could have have become really interesting!!

Could they not have gone to the ad break while they werte slogging up Dorstberg from the quarry side?

At least we got to see them doing the "pump track" section and the finish sprint. YAYY!!!

What do you guys think of the new format re: the prologue and final stage now that everything is done and dusted?

I personally think that Meerendal makes for a better prologue venue regarding TV than Table Mountain although it made for some more excitement as a finishing venue as well...

What do you guys think of the new format re: the prologue and final stage now that everything is done and dusted?

I personally think that Meerendal makes for a better prologue venue regarding TV than Table Mountain although it made for some more excitement as a finishing venue as well...

Meerendal is surrounded by the awesome Tygerberg trails and right next to the city so imo great venue for the prologue.

However if you go beyond the local trails the area is huge flat, brown and featureless bore (except for Paardeberg) so not the greatest for a final stage imo.

i liked uct/table mountain for the prologue, parking however was an issue. much congestion.

I think Table MOuntain is a brilliant prologue venue, very exciting and must be an inspiring place for out of town people to start their Epic journey.

However I totally agree with poster below, watching the riders come in through dry brown farmland was as boring and ugly as hell. And you couldnt even see Table Mountain in the distance most of the time due to hazy cloud cover. I tweeted Supersport and the Epic account and asked why the TV coverage only shows wide shots. We watched the MIlan San Remo later in the day and they have close up shots of the riders' faces. Why cant we also? We have helicopters and bikes on the trails yesterday? 

They went past a Swiss flag in a dead brown field, would it kill them to zoom in on that for two seconds, or to show the food and refreshments at the stations instead of just riders? Also would be nice to see the back of the field sometimes! I dont understand the camera work at all. 

Should have asked them why they went to an ad break at one of the most crucial and exciting sections of the race?

Guest notmyname

What we need is an academy, that very same academy needs to find the absolute best of the best, get them to race under pressure, get them overseas so we/they and all can see if they are capable of making a name for themselves and their country .

↑THIS↑

Big corporates should be aiming there sponsorship at things like this, not "big name" athletes. I understand that these "big name" riders do plenty for charity and that's great but surely we should be developing our talented youth to perform with the world's best.

I hiked down to this spot from top of Paardeberg; not a single rider rode it; and the pro's didnt run up this thing, they were struggling and digging very deep. Stupid steep

That must be one hellishly steep climb.

Archived