[Event] Darling Brew Extreme MTB Challenge

Darling Brew Extreme MTB

Great event! I did the 62km. Only thing that I would have changed was putting a water point before that last monster climb and not after it. 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also got 65 odd km's - I thought I was going to die because I was only mentally prepared for 62km - the organizers should really measure the routes more accurately.. myfok

I just wish they would have said it was 66km and not 62km   :ph34r:  it makes a hell of a difference if you're stuck in single speed mode due to a mechanical on 58km thinking you only have 4km to go but then turns out to be 8km  :cursing:

The last 10 km's were basically all downhill - don't know why you are complaining - HTFU  :devil:

It was supposed to be before at 45km! And not at 54km...

Apparently there were issues with the vehicles accessing it due to the muddy conditions?

Wrong place to ask this, but I am.

I have a SRAM XO groupset. Avid XO brakes (not the trail version)

The brakes used to squeal like mad, then I had the pads replaced with organic Avid pads before this race. Went for a short ride on Thursday (no/limited squealing) and came to race on Saturday.

I sounded worse than a truck using air brakes..

Do I just have to accept this, or buy XT brakes (don't really want to do this unless I can possibly only replace the actual caliper part and not the levers (like the look of my XO's))

Any advice?

My wife has XT brakes and her bike only let our one squeak right towards the end..

WTF? You're asking anyway? First thread you see?

Thought the guys that just did the race might have heard me and feel sympathetic. Ignore it if you want :)

That was a jol. I had an absolute mare, but a really good time.

Went hot off the start line trying to keep pace with a few excited riders on Johan Rabie's wheel. Managed to get into the singletrack among the top five. Then split my front tyre trying to get around someone. There's a lesson in patience in that somewhere...

I whipped out my Sahmurai Sword and found a sidewall tear on the bead. So I knew I'd be hacking from then on. I was. Stopped three times to deal with my flat tyre and bummed tubes and bombs all morning. Eventually I just gave up and rode on, hopefully towards town, on my flat. A few kays out I got one more tube and inflated it. It gave me the confidence to charge past the sports fields and out the other side, then it went flat. Again.

So I rode back through the middle of Darling and out to the start/finish area and grabbed a new tyre and sealant out of my car. Fitted it, inflated it ad rode back out to the far end of town to rejoin the race. Found my dad plodding away and rode it home with him...

And I won a Fabiani suit. Which is handy, because the suit I was riding in is pretty trashed from the mud :D

The last 10 km's were basically all downhill - don't know why you are complaining - HTFU  :devil:

Not really complaining just pointing out that it just messes up your calculations of how hard you can push before burning yourself out as I was going flat out after getting the bike mobile again. 

Going at a balls to the wall cadence of 105 - 140 for 8km straight to stay in the race and catch up with some of the okes that just flew past you was somehow fun and satisfying in a way :P ;)

I lost my Rudi projects on the trails if someone found it and return it I would be very gratefull.

Please.

Archived