ZIPP 303 or 404

Dr. Seuss

Are any of these really worth the money?

What would be better to get - the 303 or 404?

I assume the 404's are great of there is no crosswind - this would lead me to think that the 303's would receive more use.

Anyone know anything about FIR wheels?

Dr. Seuss, I would go for the 404's. We hardly have wind except in Aug/Sep or unless you stay in the Cape. I think they are worth the money. I don't have a set but I am looking in to the 404's. I know Man with no name and Cruxie have a set, they will be able to tell you more. As for the FIR wheelset... I haven't seen anyone use them. How much more are you saving if you purchase these?

ta jason -

can get the FIR's for about half the price of the ZIP including a cluster.  the only thing i can get on the FIR's is

"A 58mm cross section, excellent braking surface and 1600 gram pair weight make the Antara the ultimate racing wheel. The Antara was raced to victory in the Giro d'Italia in 2001 by Gilberto Simoni. "

- so I suspect it could be old tech.

Half the price... hmm... that's not bad then. If it was like a R1000/R2000 saving I would rather take the ZIPPS. If money is an issue then the FIRS don't sound to bad... for R6000. I still think the 404's look good and are by far a better quality. Hey it's your money and your call smiley2.gif Just don't get a set of FIR's if you not 100% and then later say I should of got the ZIPPS smiley19.gif, that's a k@k feeling. I think 101% can also offer you some advice. Drop him a PM.

Jason2006-09-06 03:32:52

The Zipp 404 Tubby's weigh in at 1250 grams, thats 350 grams less than the FiR's, in wheel terms, a massive weight difference, about 30%.

if you're a little patient, you can pick up 2nd hand Zipp's in very good condition for about R 7,500.00 - R 8,000.00

Have ridden the 404's.....only once....but once was enough to fall in love forever...!!!!!

Definately worth robbing a bank for.........

20060906_040325_Philip01_b.jpg

I think the only other wheels that does compare.....even better....is the Bora's.....
Spinnekop2006-09-06 04:04:26

Have ridden the 404's.....only once....but once was enough to fall in love forever...!!!!!

Definately worht robbing a bank for.........

I think the only other wheels that does compare.....even better....is the Bora's.....

smiley32.gifsmiley32.gifsmiley32.gif

I had a set of 303's and they were really nice, but the BORA'S I now use are absolutely awesome!! smiley10.gif

I had a set of 303's and they were really nice' date=' but the BORA'S I now use are absolutely awesome!! smiley10.gif
[/quote']

I HATE YOU!!!  What I wouldn't give for a set of Bora's.......smiley19.gif

If you going to spend the money - go for 404's, even in strong winds..its the best wheel (besides boras:)

however this expensive stuff only makes a real diff if you racing above 40k/hr in a small group. If you tend to sit in large groups, it doesn't matter what wheels you have!

I have ridden (and still have) a set of 404s and have also owned a set of 303's and the Reynolds Stratus. Reynolds was the best build quality and a great wheel, the 404's are a great all round race wheel and even with a bit of wind are fine. The 303's are fine but not as fast or "all round" as the 404.

I would go for Reynolds if you can get - contact Obree and if not the 404's.

A very good point, if you are the type of rider that sits in the bunch, does no work and tries to win the sprint, any strong wheel will do. If you try to get in a break, or break away yourself, a good aero wheel will help. Otherwise you are buying them for the bling value only!!! Rather spend your moner on a good power meter, train properly and then you will be faster without the fancy stuff, imagine how that will make all those people feel that spent all their money on wheels !!!!!!

I had a set of 303's and they were really nice' date=' but the BORA'S I now use are absolutely awesome!! smiley10.gif
[/quote']

I HATE YOU!!!  What I wouldn't give for a set of Bora's.......smiley19.gif

If it's any consolation, I'm still recovering from a fall with the mtb (don't ask...) hand still in a cast for 4 more weeks, so I cant even race on my Bora's in my very own back yard on Saturday in the first PPA spring league race, the TOUR DE WORCESTER smiley19.gifsmiley19.gifsmiley19.gif

BUT! I might just make an appearance in the afternoon's TT, on my new TT bike (thanks 101%) smiley4.gif

DANKIE VIR DIE  LEEN VAN JOU BORA'S VIR DIE WORCESTER RIDE

DIT WORD GROOTLIKS WAARDEER     WW  .......

JY IS 'N BUDDIE DUISEND!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://skins.hotbar.com/skins/mailskins/img/Auto__/Auto__Parts_Wheel_prv.gif

choices choices, what if you want both, you want the power meter and the deepsection carbon wheeletjie??? Can you get a 2in1 deal BikeMax?

ps. what is the colour of the new kit???
Marius2006-09-06 04:31:46