FSR Stumpy or Giant Trance?

eben

Hi all, I have R30 000 to spend on a bike and narrowed it down to these 2 bikes. I like doing some fun trail stuff, and some XC on the side. Any advice on the better bike?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trance 650B, should only set you back about 20k, leaving you with a good whack of cash to kit her out with dropper post and other juicy goodies.

post-39984-0-80384300-1396553531_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brogue

You can't beat that maestro for 20k! As always, take them both out for a test spin.

I agree with the dropper. That'll make the trance unstoppable.

Trance 650 2 at approx 20k, and add in a dropper. Full SLX kit, a FANTASTIC bike that's also got none of the spaz proprietary systems (brain etc) and far less servicing costs - not to mention great backup. Not that the spaz doesn't have good backup - but for the same bike, you'll need to pay quite a bit more on the Spaz side.

I took the trance2 for a spin in the parking area, and also the spaz! Both feel like awesome rides. But the spaz is 29er, and the trance a 650b. What is the way of the future?

Now the big question! 29 or 650b?

How long is a piece of string?

The Trance 2 650B pictured is a sweet machine, but it may not be everyone's cuppa. Only YOU can decide what suits your style of riding, pocket and ultimately taste. Have fun either way.

I took the trance2 for a spin in the parking area, and also the spaz! Both feel like awesome rides. But the spaz is 29er, and the trance a 650b. What is the way of the future?

Honestly, 650b is The current flavour of the week. so much so that spaz has already released 650b versions of theor stumpy and enduro bikes.

But the best bike for yourself is something you need to decide based on your riding style and what you want to get out of the bike.

Trance 2 650B, spend the rest of the money upgrading it or on Sani / W2W / holiday.

Maybe I am just biased, but get the Trance. 29er if you live in Jhb, or 27.5 if you are in the Cape. They come with decent droppers, so just upgrade the wheels. post-41156-0-01220500-1396608906_thumb.jpg

I had the same decision to make between the same bikes, I went with the Trance as it was more bang for your buck and with upgrades came in just over 30K.

I test rode both bikes and preferred the feel of the Trance. I also prefered the 650B wheel size then the 29er. The Trance also does climb very well, and with suspension open to descend mode on the Fox it handles the downhills with ease. I feel more confident on this bike then I did my 26er Trance.

Your best bet is to take them both out for a test ride. Good Luck.

Maybe I am just biased, but get the Trance. 29er if you live in Jhb, or 27.5 if you are in the Cape. They come with decent droppers, so just upgrade the wheels. post-41156-0-01220500-1396608906_thumb.jpg

that seat does not look comfy

I had a chat about the 29er Trance vs 650B Trance with Daniel Dobinson (I-Ride Africa) the other day. He has a rental fleet of both and has ridden both to the max. His answer was that the 29er version feels faster but the 650B one is much more fun. The 29er is no longer in production, it was last made in 2013. All the new 2014 Trances are 650B.

Nope, Giant Trance 29er still in production for 2014. Love my 2013 Trance 29er but it gets clumsy on steep sharp switchbacks.