specialized warranty experience, good bad or ugly

SBRA

The issue here is twofold.

Firstly, as pointed out by another poster, if you have ONE good warranty experience, it makes you loyal to a brand for many years thereafter. It is thus in the interest of the manuf, distributor, LBS etc to honour as many warranty claims as they reasonably can.

However, the problem lies is in the massive amounts of fraudulent claims and abuse of claims - the short-term insurance industry reports fraud or attempted fraud running into many billions each year.

When you are dealing with extremely high value items that can be/are abused, there's a fine line to be walked by the LBS.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont like guys who as a first post come on here and name and shame. That makes alarms bells go off straight away. If you are selling Giant or Merida or Scott or whatever it is very convenient to bash a rival brand.

Maybe build a better relationship with your lbs and you wont have so many issues. you also seem to have too much money, owning as you say numerous s-works products.

Also I hope you have small feet, since you gave your sister your old shoes. :whistling:

How many posts must a hubber make before he can name and shame. This is not an elitist club. Surely you learnt something from the Andrew Armstrong story!

How many posts must a hubber make before he can name and shame. This is not an elitist club. Surely you learnt something from the Andrew Armstrong story!

not much, but he should at least not try and bull**** us on here. So many of us gets p!ssd at one post wonders who think that a half baked story on here is going to fly. Perhaps they should learn from the Armstrong post as well.

The issue here is twofold.

Firstly, as pointed out by another poster, if you have ONE good warranty experience, it makes you loyal to a brand for many years thereafter. It is thus in the interest of the manuf, distributor, LBS etc to honour as many warranty claims as they reasonably can.

However, the problem lies is in the massive amounts of fraudulent claims and abuse of claims - the short-term insurance industry reports fraud or attempted fraud running into many billions each year.

When you are dealing with extremely high value items that can be/are abused, there's a fine line to be walked by the LBS.

I disagree on fraudulent warrantee claims. who allow that? there are rules to meeting a warranty claim. That has to be balanced the sales experience. e.g. is the warranty worth retaining the customer?

If we had better quality products there would be less need for the warranty. A pair of MTB shoes should last a good few years. ( I have a pair of Shimano SH 221's that is 12 years old) and should be able to last a few wash cycles.

If the shoe comes apart within a year, there should be a clear case for warranty just through visual inspection and a simple check on item number on the shoe box. Can't see why there needs tobe huge drama if the quality is in the product from the start

I don't buy Spaz products and don't have any warranty issues.

nuff said

I agree, although Bridge sells old stock Spaz stuff at great prices and I like their seats...

I agree, although Bridge sells old stock Spaz stuff at great prices and I like their seats...

Yes very tempting, very tempting but if youwait till endof season then its even cheaper.

I disagree on fraudulent warrantee claims. who allow that? there are rules to meeting a warranty claim. That has to be balanced the sales experience. e.g. is the warranty worth retaining the customer?

If we had better quality products there would be less need for the warranty. A pair of MTB shoes should last a good few years. ( I have a pair of Shimano SH 221's that is 12 years old) and should be able to last a few wash cycles.

If the shoe comes apart within a year, there should be a clear case for warranty just through visual inspection and a simple check on item number on the shoe box. Can't see why there needs tobe huge drama if the quality is in the product from the start

I agree 100% - legit warranty claims should be honoured but there is so much fraud going on, e.g. OP's sister getting new shoes under warranty, that you cannot blame the LBS for being circumspect.

The question is what failed in that process with the sister getting a new par of shoes? The shoes owner or did the LBS do themselves in because they saw a bit of cleavage and ankle>?

We men go all gagga when a good looking woman bats her eyelids. Only natural. If WE fail and allow an exception then surely its not the market that's corrupt, its not the goods owner at fault. The lady took a chance and it worked in her favour. The lBS shot itself.

I have been to quite a few bike stores and hands down received the best service and advice relating to merchandise from my LBS Cyclefunatic Specialized in durbanville

+1 for Cyclefunatic and Deon does all invoicing via computer so you receive electronic invoice on e mail and if you go in to the shop all your invoices are on you profile ... Great system

I'm not a fan of Spez bikes but since they warrantied an 18 month pair of well-used MTB shoes for me many years ago after they tore, I have made a point of repaying their support by supporting them and I only buy Spez shoes, gloves and other accessories.

That's a generous warranty replacement.

Wow.

+1 for Cyclefunatic and Deon does all invoicing via computer so you receive electronic invoice on e mail and if you go in to the shop all your invoices are on you profile ... Great system

Now that's the way it should be done and a nice method to retain customers.

Always nice to have a reference to what you have bought before, ie what worked or fit really well.

I throw my Specialized shoes in the washing machine when they get dirty, still good after 2-3 years. That said, it's the mid range version, the top end s-works version looks to bling / plastic to me.