Winter training gear

It doesn't really get that cold down in the Cape so for the last couple of years my 'winter' kit is:

- Pro Ultimate Winter gloves (get from Buycycle for R329)

- Long sleeved jersey with brushed inner (even this gets too hot)

- Giordana 3/4 leg Roubaix tights

- Craft base layer

- Normal socks

- Have a goretex rain jacket

.As soon as the sun come up you're usually toast anyway. Maybe save the coin and ride a little later... the gentleman's hour!

Edited by hellocolour

Sealskin socks with booties, and an Assos Airjack Jacket with a thermal base layer and Assos FUGU gloves

post-26994-0-00989900-1397567540_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch

Sealskin socks with booties, and an Assos Airjack Jacket with a thermal base layer and Assos FUGU gloves

Well done on being out there at that temp. I wonder what the temp were at dawn?

Air Jack rocks

Rolled through -2 degrees last winter here in Cape Town

Brrrrr

latex gloves (buy a box of 50 from dischem) wear them under long fingered gloves. will keep wind off fingers and hands warm. If temperature rises during your ride, can take latex off and put in back pocket.

Overshoes to keep feet warm, else thin pair of socks then jiffy bag on foot with another thin pair of socks on top, aim is to keep the cold wind off hands and feet warm.

Suitable warm clothing and buff for head and neck.

Latex gloves is interesting tip. Does it make your hands very sweaty?

Not if it's very cold - as soon as it warms up then it gets wet - still better than cold though, but not as good as a proper inner glove.

The wind chill factor is what to look out for. The faster you ride the higher the wind chill. All exposed body parts (fingers, ears, nose, etc) will take a beating during training ( and because blood is drawn away from these parts to the working muscles). Ride slower but pedal harder.....iow more hill training.

Cheap thermal kit.....Garbie refuse bag.....R100 for 100.......and you look like the Black Knight ;-)

(Vaseline for the legs and arms)

Black bag at speed

Wear ear plugs as well.

:-)

......and check out the fear on the face of cyclist you go past.....priceless

They do get sweaty as the temp rises, the nice thing is that the layer of sweat between your hands and the gloves gets warm and acts very similar as the layer of water inside a wetsuit, so helps to keep you warm whilst the chill factor is there, and the sweat stays inside the latex. As soon as the sun is up and the temp rises, you can take them off and put in back pocket and cycle just with normal gloves. Personally would prefer to be warm and sweaty rather than have ice blocks at the tips of my fingers.

Edited by shaper

I was in the Alps couple of years back, bought high end wind proof waterproof gloves, fingers still froze when gloves got wet.

Ended up with pair of running gloves and latex dish washing gloves, waterproof,windproof, grip like nothing , worked like bomb even if I did look like I was on my way to wash the dishes :blush:

How does one manage breathing in the cold air? I have only been riding the last 10 months or so - want to be riding through winter this year. My question is more with flu/bronchitis - won't breathing the cold air result in flu / bronchitis issues? How does one prevent it? Will a buff over the mouth help?

Edited by cjlieben

Just got my winter gear today...

Arm warmers

Leg warmers

Neoprene toe caps

Long finger gloves

All from anatomic, cost me 1033 randelas exactly!

Rode through last winter with no winter gear (couldn't afford it back then!), freezing in the dips but otherwise was okay. Looking forward to being warm this year!

• 3 weeks later...

Cycling in Winter Must have's from first Ascent.

1. Windblock cycling tights - cycling tights with a thin layer of fleece on inside to keep heat in but not too hot. http://www.firstascent.co.za/shop/mens-windblock-cycle-tights/

2. Renegade cycling jacket: http://www.firstascent.co.za/shop/mens-renegade-cycle-jacket/

3. Leg and arm warmers: http://www.firstascent.co.za/product-category/accessories/protectors-warmers/

Happy Winter training!!