Giro d' Italia 2014

'Dale

'Dale - Thanks for the constant stream of updates and information on the Giro. Was great and much appreciated!

Pleasure, pleasure...

I enjoy celebrating great racing and sharing it with fellow enthusiasts

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After three weeks of racing more than 3,444 kilometers through Northern Ireland, Ireland, and Italy, the Giro d’Italia concluded Sunday in Trieste with Nairo Quintana’s historic win.

Here are some figures from the race, courtesy of Giro organizer RCS Sport:

0 – Europeans wearing the Maglia Rosa. For the first time in history, a grand tour event has not had a European rider leading at any point during the race

3 – Nations crossed: Northern Ireland, Ireland, and Italy

5 – Continents in which the Giro was followed on TV

6 – Counties traversed in Ireland

21 – Days of competition

24 – Age of winner Nairo Quintana

30 – Different nationalities of riders at the start of the Giro

42 – Vehicles in the Giro d’Italia caravan

43 – Italian provinces crossed by the Giro

156 – Riders who finished the Giro

171 – Countries in which the Giro was broadcast daily

198 – Riders starting at the Giro’s Grande Partenza

1,200 – People traveling daily with the Giro d’Italia, between members of the organization, teams, and media

1,805 – Media accreditations handed out

3,444.4 – The race distance in kilometers

5,000 – Daily tweets with the hashtag #giro (on average)

From velonews

Wow.

That's one intriguing piece of data:

"0 – Europeans wearing the Maglia Rosa. For the first time in history, a grand tour event has not had a European rider leading at any point during the race"

Velonews

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that might be interested, I have all the stages on Eurosport HD with excellent commentary by Rob Hatch and Sean Kelly, about 76GB :o

pm me if you are interested. Gratis.

• 2 weeks later...

Ulissi positive at Giro

Italian rider Diego Ulissi failed a drugs test conducted during this year's Giro d'Italia for the banned substance salbutamol, his Lampre-Merida team said on Wednesday.

"The results of the test from the UCI (International Cycling Union) report the presence in the urine of the athlete of an abnormal amount of salbutamol (1900 ng/ml), higher than the limit allowed by the regulations, which sees the limit at 1000 ng/ml," Lampre-Merida said in a statement.

The test was carried out after the 11th stage in the Giro last month.

Ulissi, 24, won the fifth and eighth stages before dropping out of the race after the 17th stage.

Lampre-Merida said the rider had declared, prior to the test, having taken Ventolin, an asthma treatment that contains salbutamol.

"Ventolin is permitted and was necessary because Ulissi was suffering from bronchospasm," the team statement added. "As usual, all previous inhalations of Ventolin had been correctly declared.

"The rider, as per internal team sanitary code, will be provisionally suspended. Consequently he will not be attending the (Italian) national team training camp, and he requests the opening and analysis of sample B.

"The athlete himself and the medical staff of the team will continue to explore the reasons why the urine has been identified as having an abnormal and high presence of salbutamol."