Giro d' Italia 2014

'Dale

The fight for pink is yet to explode

The red jersey contest have been intense

Deffo but it's also been some of the poker between the GC's going on that has been good to watch. Cuddles not chasing Pozzo's attack to see how the other like OPQS reacted and letting another player into to ring for everyone to think about early on or The way Movistar chased down the breakaway the other day to keep the Rosa on BMC shoulders when Cuddles was blatantly trying to loan the jersey out to a minor team and get the pressure off.

Tomorrow is massive, today could be interesting and then I reckon that last week will be as frantic as a one armed brick layer in Baghdad.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

STAGE 11

It's another sunny day in Italy and we're expecting it to stay that way until the finish.

Still all together at the moment. The fight to get into the breakaway will be tough today, with the chances of making it to the finish fairly high

News is that Winner Ancona of Lampre-Meida is still in the race despite suffering from dysentery. Anacona was in the break on stage 7 last week.

Michael Matthews didn't start today. Two other DNSs are Georg Preidler (Giant-Shimano) and Miguel Angel Rubiano (Colombia)

The problem is not with the route although the start in Ireland didn't really do it for me. The problem is that the top riders are having a jolly over at the TOC instead of competing in the second biggest race in world cycling.

I'm not sure what the solution is but there must be a way to get the top riders competing in the grand tours.

My suggestion would be to start with how much recovery time is needed, then try and arrange the dates to facilitate this. Best way to get them to compete is of course to massively increase the prize money and make the teams less reliant on sponsorship money. Similar thing happened in football when clubs started sharing TV money.

A lot of teams have BIG yank sponsors.. so they need to take some big boys over to TOC.. sky themselves have a big agreement with 20th century fox.. and of course TREK have to go ride there and Cannondale too.

No ways they can move the Giro forward.. too close to the spring classics and the weather would be worse...

Edited by Gen

Rubiano is the second member of the Colombia team to drop out of the race. His teammate Edwin Avila was outside the time limit on stage 9 by 3:01. The former track rider apparently got off his bike to protest against his team refusing to give him a bidon inside the final 20km. .

With the departure of those two riders, plus Wegmann, the peloton has been to reduced to 179 down from the original 198 that started. This Giro is taking it's toll and we haven't even reached the toughest parts.

!!!!

Bad news for Garmin-Sharp, Fabian Wegmann has come down in a crash and has left the race. He was suffering a bad stomach in the opening time trial too, but was forced to chase back on when four of his teammates crashed

30 kilometres ridden so far, with the first climb of the day coming in around 20km. Perhaps this could be where we see the day's attack sticking.

The average speed of the race so far has been 48kph, no wonder we haven't had a break yet. Extremely hard to get off the front when the peloton are motoring like that.