Help saving weight on wife's bike

Gary57

Wife have a Scott Spark 60 26er which I am trying to save some weight on. It currently has ZTR Alpine wheels with Hope hubs and fitted with Shwalbe Racing Ralph's tubeless,, these made a huge improvement in her riding and dropped over 1kg.

I am no looking to save a bit more weight and the list is as follows:

Shimano Deore m590 crank to XT, is it worth the $$$, how much will I save?

Shimano m520 pedals to m540, considering this?

KCNC seat post and handle bars to replace stock.

What else should I consider changing? Bike has done about 3000km. Wife weights 56kg so not much room to lighten her anymore, we doing Sani together and am trying to make the ride a bit easier.

I believe you should first look at rotating weight - sometimes our beginner shoes are very heavy. Smaller Camelback?

Hollow-tech/2-piece cranks are already very light (about 500g lighter than the 3-piece kind on most of the budget bikes).

SLX/XT casette will probably save a couple of hundred grams and not break the bank.

Forks is expensive but worth a look.

I don't think that Carbon Bars/Stem/Seatpost is really worth it (pay thousands for maybe saving a couple of hundred grams)

Fork has been changed to Rockshox Reba Duel Air.

When I pick up the bike it's light, but it just feels heavy low down, like the cranks weigh a ton or possibly the cassette.

If changing the cassette, should I look at going 10 speed?

Fork has been changed to Rockshox Reba Duel Air.

When I pick up the bike it's light, but it just feels heavy low down, like the cranks weigh a ton or possibly the cassette.

If changing the cassette, should I look at going 10 speed?

To go 10 speed would mean changing shifters, front derailleur, back derailleur, chain, casette, chainring etc. Not worth it in my opinion.

Weight loss steps

Wheels

Fork

Stem, bars etc

Crank

Rest of drivetrain

Problem is the more you go down the list the more expensive per gram it gets.

CWC has a SLX crank on special for R1700 inclusive of the BB. I changed my stock crank to the SLX 3 months ago and shed about 350-400g, made a huge difference to peddling and feel.

I was fortunate enough to change stem, post and bars to Ritchey before the price increases and shed another good few grams. Fitted a Reba and Novatec flow trails, fitted a fizik tundra 2. I also went 1 x 10 by fitting a narrow wide 32t blade, so shed the weight of the one shifter and front derailleur. Clocked in at around 13,5kg, weighed 11,4kg after all said options were fitted.

Ditched said hard tail for a dual Anthem and still clock in at 11,7kg.

Will cost you a small fortune, but I have seen and felt the difference and don't regret it one bit.

Did a bit of weighing in the garage.

Bike as is 11.8kg

Stock Deore crank with M520 pedals 1247g

Stock XT crank with M520 pedals 1147g (XT off my Spark 940)

M520 pedals alone 374g

Seat and seat post 540g

Not sure if the upgrade to XT crankset is worth 100g... I was hoping to save another kg off the bike but I'm not sure that is possible anymore...

Did a bit of weighing in the garage.

Bike as is 11.8kg

Stock Deore crank with M520 pedals 1247g

Stock XT crank with M520 pedals 1147g (XT off my Spark 940)

M520 pedals alone 374g

Seat and seat post 540g

Not sure if the upgrade to XT crankset is worth 100g... I was hoping to save another kg off the bike but I'm not sure that is possible anymore...

Short answer - no, it's not.

Best weight savings you can get is with the contact points - post, stem, bars.

Crankset (as you've already seen) won't see drastic savings unless you go way up on the cost - and that's stupid IMO.

You can save another 500 grams pretty easily in the bar, stem and seatpost area, especially if she has the stock Scott items.

Your fork is perfect as is - no real savings to be had there.

Wheels - ZTR Alpine on Hopes are as light as you're going to get without, again, going into stupid money.

Bars stem & post don't need to be carbon to see major weight savings - the KCNC stuff is light, and cheap. Thompson is light, and not so cheap, but quality.