The future of Electronic suspension

SlowUnsteady

I've just been looking around at the current stock of new suspension techs coming out and notice that Fox's iCD system seems to have been all but dropped.

I find this quite strange as my experience with it has been nothing short of revelatory, and every review I've seen has been similar.

Strangely, I have a Pyga with a 120mm Fox iCD front shock (issues with stock when I ordered meant i got "upgraded" to this as opposed to CTD... Initially I was wary, but agreed to try it out and was hooked). This combo, which doesn't make sense on the face of it, has been brilliant. Getting rid of all the fussiness of "climb" settings etc, while making the lockout so easy to use its quicker than changing gear, actually suits a trail bike more than these multiple option setups where people often just plunk them into the middle setting for the entire ride.

I've been hoping to see full trail setups come out with iCD as, in my opinion, having a single switch to control lock out front and rear and (dreaming here), travel adjust on the front would really finish off these long travel superbikes and leave suspension designers free to plump for the plushest riding bikes, without compromising for ultimate climbing efficiency. Instead, I'm seeing the technology fall away and while something like the Pike would be a lovely upgrade in travel and feel, it would feel like a downgrade in use-ability for flat and uphill riding (purely just knowing that even with a remote lockout I'll never use it as actively as the iCD).

Thoughts?

Think the possibilities with the Electronic suspension control is endless (imagine adding an electronic dropper post to the setup and travel adjust like you said). Taking it a step further by letting the "computer" automatically set everything up based on the current terrain, like knowing when you are climbing and locking out the suspension for better efficiency, and opening up everything on the rough downhills. Pretty cool idea!

But you probably end up paying a lot for this cool idea, and then adding all the wires and batteries etc. (makes me think of spaghetti). Unless if it comes with some sort of wireless (thanks for the idea Hyper7, I never really thought of it).

For me Less is More. I still ride a hard tail, hate the fact that there is already so many clamps on my bars and not sure if I like the idea of remote lockout for the fork (not using it now, so why will I need it on a new bike).

Then again, I understand if you getused to something and really find it beneficial, it is sad when its no longer available (and hard to go back to the old way).

Think the possibilities with the Electronic suspension control is endless (imagine adding an electronic dropper post to the setup and travel adjust like you said). Taking it a step further by letting the "computer" automatically set everything up based on the current terrain, like knowing when you are climbing and locking out the suspension for better efficiency, and opening up everything on the rough downhills. Pretty cool idea!

But you probably end up paying a lot for this cool idea, and then adding all the wires and batteries etc. (makes me think of spaghetti). Unless if it comes with some sort of wireless (thanks for the idea Hyper7, I never really thought of it).

For me Less is More. I still ride a hard tail, hate the fact that there is already so many clamps on my bars and not sure if I like the idea of remote lockout for the fork (not using it now, so why will I need it on a new bike).

Then again, I understand if you getused to something and really find it beneficial, it is sad when its no longer available (and hard to go back to the old way).

I think this would be like having a 40K Nikon and shooting on auto all day. Or like kissing your sister "tastes the same but just doesnt feel right"

Getting to know how a suspension works for you and dialing it in manually on your different rides is what its all about.

Lets hope 'it' does do its own thing like HAL 9000 did on the way to Jupiter!

Just read today that our fav mtb lady Emily's Trek is kitted out with some fancy electronics:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/emily-battys-trek-superfly-pietermaritzburg-world-cup.html

"Trek's World Cup downhill racers have used FOX suspension for many years and it's no different on the cross-country side of things, with a 100mm travel 32 FLOAT FIT iCD spec'd up front. The air sprung fork features FOX's electronic 'intelligent Climb Descend' system that depends on a small servo motor to adjust the amount of low-speed compression damping with a quick push of the rotary remote mounted next to her left hand brake lever. The iCD battery looks to be non-existent, but a closer look shows that it appears to be tucked away into the bottom of the fork's tapered steerer tube. Very slick."

Strange that the complaints seem to center around things getting automated, and the messiness. From my experience, the system is simpler (just two settings, locked and not, with no middle setting which is only put there because the makers know people won't actually adjust things, thereby compromising the shock's use), cleaner (if you can't get wires to look neater than cables you're not really trying, they're the same thing, just thinner!) and more reliable (no cables to lock up with mud, and the days of electronics being less reliable than hydraulics/mechanical devices are long behind us).

Agreed, this opens the possibility for more complexity and less control (the shocks that "read" the trail ahead, or via gps), but I'd guess this kind of thing will always be very much an option (heck, the only car with the same feature is currently an S-Class merc, I doubt it'll become sensible on a bike within 20yrs!). Most bikes (yes, I know there are rigid single-speeders out there!) already have lockout on the shocks, so all this does is clean up handlebars, improve reliability, and improve usefulness. All for the downside of adding one more battery to our watches/GPS's/Lights/Power Meters.

Nevertheless, seems the naysayers are definitely in the majority, as these items seem to have fallen away pretty quickly... Either that, or they were simply too expensive (which is a very justifiable criticism).

Have you looked at the Rockshox Full Sprint dual hydraulic lockout? Does exactly the same thing, but with a hose and about 3cc of hydraulic fluid instead of 2 servos and a battery and a whole bunch of wires.

The solution is complete not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

(Also it's a whole lot cheaper...)

As with cars I think people have become to dependant on technology to help them out there their skills come short. Electronic stability control, traction control etc etc etc. Yea sure it's great that they are developing all this but it's just not for me. I will rather work on my skills to become more fluid through a section than having tech that does it for me.

Think the most tech thing on my mtb must be my clutch derailleur.

Thanks Droo, that is something I hadn't seen (and a considered response on the benefits of the hydraulic vs electric system).

I'd have to admit to preferring the lower messiness and smaller bar real estate of wires and switches (vs hydraulics and a button), but at least its likely to be close to as useable (unlike the cable systems), and would allow me to get something like a pike while keeping useability.

To everyone else, this isn't about electronics doing anything more than hydraulics and cables currently do, i.e. lockout and travel adjust.

To everyone else, this isn't about electronics doing anything more than hydraulics and cables currently do, i.e. lockout and travel adjust.

As I thought, in which case the electronic system is about 3 extra unnecessary layers of complexity - all you're doing is using 2 servos to operate a switch. Brag value for sure, but otherwise pointless (unless you have no thumbs, in which case do whatever works...)

RS Pushloc all the way.

As I thought, in which case the electronic system is about 3 extra unnecessary layers of complexity - all you're doing is using 2 servos to operate a switch. Brag value for sure, but otherwise pointless (unless you have no thumbs, in which case do whatever works...)

RS Pushloc all the way.

Adding to that - unless your electronic wires are hidden, they often will look FAR messier than a hydraulic hose or normal cable sheath would when added to the bike. Think old style cycle computer, where you had to wrap the thing around your bars, brake hose, fork and everywhere else to get it the right size. And don't think for a second that there is a viable option of hiding the cabling inside the bars and stem area - drill a hole in my bars will you!?

What Mountain Bike tested the Ghost and LaPierre AM bikes with EI suspension in the latest edition. Must say, at the added price of about R8k, and a kilo of weight, I just don't get it. It hardly seems like a game changer for the average Joe.

• 4 weeks later...