Broken bottle cage mount hole

Rouxenator

I broke the one mounting hole for my bottle cage. It broke loose from the frame so you can't tighten the bottle cage to the bike.

Is this something that can be fixed, what are my options?

Currently using a cable tie but I want something a bit more elegant. Can you repair the mounting hole somehow?

If you are not into these ludicrously simple solutions above, you can take the frame to an engineering shop and enquire about a rivsert (sp)

It requires the drilling of a larger hole and a threaded sleeve to be inserted into the hole.

I am however not sure what impact an increased diameter hole would have on the frame's integrity, I assume its aluminium? I am also uncertain what wall thickness the rivsert would reuire to work correctly.

There are some seriously knowledgeable injuneers on the forum and they might smite me down for my suggestion....

Edited by RocknRolla

If you mean the thread in the frame has come loose a new thread can be riveted in place (sure there is some official name for it) any engineering shop and most bicycle shops.

Can you post pic ?

If the "thread part" just came loose, you can tighten it again very easily but will need pic to make sure

I had both rivnuts replaced by a bike shop for very little. They just go on or two sizes up , I think. Took as long as a cup of coffee. Talk to your lbs.

Like Caad4 said, take it to your LBS. It is as simple as removing the rivnut and replacing with the same size. No drilling the hole bigger or anything as traumatic.

I have a couple of rivnuts at home. You can get them at your local hardware store.

The tool I don't have but apparently it is quite easy to install.

I have had this problem ... I used Epoxy glue two tubes that mixe together... It is a strong glue, with some elasticity , so can take all the vibration... easy to clean of excess ... cheap and clean

Seems the LBS can do rivnuts for me, will have it done when I upgrade to 9sp sometime soon. Thanks for all the feedback and help.

I broke the one mounting hole for my bottle cage. It broke loose from the frame so you can't tighten the bottle cage to the bike.

Is this something that can be fixed, what are my options?

Same happened to me 18 months ago. Jared and his team at BMC in Salt River did a great job of fixing it. Give them a call - Bicycle Maintenance Company (021) 448 4692