Winter Jacket

Rotiringer

Like fleece with a wind proof outer layer as one jacket or a separate wind proof jacket completely.

Fleece is for sub 8 degrees, more or less.

Gotta be very chilly.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gloves is a problem, high speed through a dip and I couldn't change gears afte rthat - Bought some skiing gloves

Layers all the way and you can peel as needs change.

Base something like a t shirt or thermal etc, then fine knit light woolen jersey (fine knit being operative word, just heavier than a thick shirt) and then something with zips that can stop the wind and seal up the air intake spots(as padded/warm as needed)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got some 3/4 Castelli bibs from Maestro's. These are the best buy I could have made in terms of winter kit. The lycra has a fleece type lining on the inside and is cut a bit higher on the front for keeping the torso warmer. I see he has some winter gloves as well. I would highly recommend these bibs especially foe the Jhb winter.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/36972-castelli-34-winter-bibs-clearance-sale/

Just got some 3/4 Castelli bibs from Maestro's. These are the best buy I could have made in terms of winter kit. The lycra has a fleece type lining on the inside and is cut a bit higher on the front for keeping the torso warmer. I see he has some winter gloves as well. I would highly recommend these bibs especially foe the Jhb winter.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/36972-castelli-34-winter-bibs-clearance-sale/

I've got a pair with similar specs as well as a long pants thingie (scuba suit) for the deep winter days.

Fleece - magic

Fleece is totally wrong, i cycled in london for a few years, my 2 cents would be to get a MARINO wool baselayer, good cycling jersey and jacket.... The brand GORE is by far the best ive tried...

Fleece is totally wrong, i cycled in london for a few years, my 2 cents would be to get a MARINO wool baselayer, good cycling jersey and jacket.... The brand GORE is by far the best ive tried...

Gore-Tex fabric is real awesome technology.

Patented and very effective.

Mostly good to keep the wet out and achieve good ventilation.

I roll in Assos. They're essentially a R 'n D company. A very good one.

Their kit is a combo of fleece and breathable areas, using cool fabrics.

I'm happy in fleece (that releases sweat vapour through special designed segments).

My cycling collar is Marino wool type. Rapha.

Superb too.

Edited by ' Dale

Sound good!!! Quality doesnt come cheap though

My kit lasts season after season.

Well worthit.

Edited by ' Dale

Giro commentators mentioned the Castelli Gabba top/jacket today. Its a water proof garment thats light and keeps windchill at bay. Comes with three back pockets as well. It has become so popular that Castelli are making it for pros without branding.

http://castelli-cycling.com/en/products/detail/693/

post-13716-0-18367500-1400179313.jpg

Edited by Cippo

I still can't make up my mind about CT. 'dale seems to be rugged up to the full and I've got a winter Deka & Giordana jacket that is just too damn hot here. Maybe it's my metabolism but as soon as I'm riding a baselayer, long sleeved jersey are the go, and on windy days a gillet to stop the wind chill, legs = 3/4 roubaix giordanas or knee warmers. Gloves before the sun comes up.

i was on chappies on the weekend and fellas were rolling in foot warmers, head bands, thermals, winter gloves @ 10:30. I'm not knocking them at all but I just can't really work out the weather.

What is the standard lowest it gets here?

I still can't make up my mind about CT. 'dale seems to be rugged up to the full and I've got a winter Deka & Giordana jacket that is just too damn hot here. Maybe it's my metabolism but as soon as I'm riding a baselayer, long sleeved jersey are the go, and on windy days a gillet to stop the wind chill, legs = 3/4 roubaix giordanas or knee warmers. Gloves before the sun comes up.

i was on chappies on the weekend and fellas were rolling in foot warmers, head bands, thermals, winter gloves @ 10:30. I'm not knocking them at all but I just can't really work out the weather.

What is the standard lowest it gets here?

The challenge is to gear up for a 5-18 degree window of temp shift over a, say, 4 hour ride.

The biggest issue in CT is not the chill, at roughly 5 -10 degrees avg in the heart of winter, but the relentless WET.

Edited by ' Dale

I agree 100% nolipoli.

Here's what the UK manufacturer has to say about the Winter Weight L/Sleeve Race Jersey we're selling:

"This high performance breathable, long sleeved, winter weight race jersey has been technically designed for serious cyclists. Manufactured from a high-wicking, warm and technically advanced fabric to take moisture from the body and out through the fabric, whilst keeping the wearer both dry and warm.

Incorporating a rubber waist gripper, to prevent garment ride-up and elasticated sleeve cuffs. Three elasticated rear pockets, including a smaller, mobile phone holding pocket. High strength, full length, 2-way Vislon zip."

Only red though? No plain black?