Cape Argus: experiences wanted

Belgian biker

Totally agree with the sentiment above. Definitely a must do if you're in SA that time of the year. Well organised, great vibe, ride at your own pace.

I've done 3:

2012: 7 hr + (+- 17.31km/h)

2013: 5:30 ish (+- 22.0km/h

2014: 4:45 ish (+- 23.2km/h)

Enjoyed every one of them. The hills late in the race might be your biggest worry, as stated before. But in reality they're not hectic hills.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't even booked the plane tickets yet! Still searching for some good tickets.

I had already seen a lovely B&B in Newlands but that's not really practical tot get to the start. Or can we join in where the tour passes Newlands along route?

Do you have to pick up the rider packets with your number etc beforehand somewhere?

Don't stay in Newlands, it will be difficult to get to the start and finish from there.

The Waterfront, Sea Point, Green Point, Camps Bay, Clifton or certain parts of the CBD would be your best option. The race starts in the CBD and finished about 4km away from that point in Greenpoint (outside the Cape Town World Cup stadium).

Newlands not ideal for the Argus, but if you're staying longer in Cape Town its a great area to stay. I stay in that direction, and have no trouble getting to the start every year. Assuming you hire a car, you can book parking at the finish for the day (I think it's about R25). Get there early, park the car and ride the +- 3km to the start as a nice leg stretch before the race.

Cool, we're totally convinced now :-)

I'll still have to figure out the practicalities:

- is it best to have the tour at the beginning or end of our 3-week holiday...?

- rent good bikes from an easy location - preferably somewhere we can pick them up the day before

- accomodation: if we would stay at Newlands anyway and reserve parking like Lone Ranger suggest, we'll need to pick up the bikes near the start as they won't fit in a small car. Or look for another place closer in the city bowl.

yay! :)

I'll probably keep coming back with loads of questions (and some are bound to be stupid) if you don't mind!

Edited by Belgian biker

- rent good bikes from an easy location - preferably somewhere we can pick them up the day before

- accomodation: if we would stay at Newlands anyway and reserve parking like Ch. Hubber suggest, we'll need to pick up the bikes near the start as they won't fit in a small car. Or look for another place closer in the city bowl.

I'll probably keep coming back with loads of questions (and some are bound to be stupid) if you don't mind!

City bowl FTW!

- accomodation: if we would stay at Newlands anyway and reserve parking like Ch. Hubber suggest, we'll need to pick up the bikes near the start as they won't fit in a small car. Or look for another place closer in the city bowl.

Newlands isn't a hack and is a good spot to base yourself if you're staying for a bit of a holiday as well. Just jump on the free way and zip into town, it's probably the quietest all year, takes about 15 minutes, tops. I stay in Rosebank (nr Newlands) and drive in each year. Always buy pre parking at the CTIC or the stadium but get it on the first or second day of the argus expo as it can sell out.

This year I just parked right behind the start cages and there were heaps of spaces just on the road. I bought a ticket to the CTIC the day before but left it at home, couldn't believe how easy it was to park.

Not sure where you'd rent bikes but I'm sure where you rent will have a rack for you to borrow. Heck if they won't help you out you can borrow mine as I just put my bike in my car. Don't choose location because you haven't got a rack!

Edited by hellocolour

Hi all,

we're planning a trip to South Africa in the beginning of 2015

After doing the fabulous New York 5 boro bike tour last year, I was looking for another fun bike experience and came across the Cape Argus cycle tour. We're now considering planning our holiday around this event (March 8, 2015) .

I'm looking to hear from some people who've actually participated. I'm a littled daunted by the distance of 110K and the climbs. The NY tour was about 65km and that was the most we've ever done. But I must say that I was so thrilled by the experience, I didn't feel tired at all and could've gone on for some more k's! Also didn't have any sore musscles afterwards or anything.

The event is in march, meaning it will be winter here so we won't have much opportunity to go out practising the weeks before.

We're not hard core sports fans, we love cycling at weekends for an hour or 3. But it seems such a wonderful experience and a lovely way to see the Cape peninsula. We've also been to Thailand last febr and did a touristy bike tour of Bangkok. It's great to go cycling all over the world, gives an extra punch to our holidays.

I'd love to hear from some participants to get an idea wether this is feasible for people with our condition :-)

thanks for all the advice!

the only problem you'll have after doing this cycle tour is that you will not be able to stop yourself from coming back each year that's a guarantee. I hope I didn't say too much :-)

Do it - you'll love it. Moved here 8 years ago and have done every one since. Come 1 Sep each year, I'm at my PC waiting to enter the next one.

the only problem you'll have after doing this cycle tour is that you will not be able to stop yourself from coming back each year that's a guarantee. I hope I didn't say too much :-)

haha, and I already want to go back to NY for the 5BBT as well, oh no, such a dilemma! :P :D

- accomodation: if we would stay at Newlands anyway and reserve parking like Lone Ranger suggest, we'll need to pick up the bikes near the start as they won't fit in a small car. Or look for another place closer in the city bowl.

Dont pick up the bikes the day before the race! that will be a recipe for a horrible ride. You will need to get used to your bikes, so do take the opp to ride around cape town a few days before the race. It is imperative that the bikes are properly set up for you or your race experience will be diminished by pain.

Also, parking at the Argus is a huge stress, so try and stay in easy cycling distance of the start. Its much easier to manage. It does not have to be round the corner. I usually stay in Fresnaye, about a 20 min slow cycle from the start, which gives a nice warm up.

Lastly, don't listen to the people who tell you that the hills ain't tough. They are bloody tough, and need to be treated with respect . Ie proper training, either on a trainer or spinning at gym if the weather precludes real riding. Good luck, the Argus will be an experience you will never forget! It will eclipse everything else that you do on your holiday- but you must practice riding in a bunch! Essential survival skill when sharing the road with a few thousand.

I already figured out that most rental companies only do 5-7 day rentals around the Argus so that will give us time to get used to the bikes

we've only really done cycling in flat landscapes, we'll try to get some training in hilly landscapes

(now I'm doubting again wether this is a tour for us or not... damn!)

I already figured out that most rental companies only do 5-7 day rentals around the Argus so that will give us time to get used to the bikes

we've only really done cycling in flat landscapes, we'll try to get some training in hilly landscapes

(now I'm doubting again wether this is a tour for us or not... damn!)

The 7 hour cut-off time is very generous - I know many people who've completed it as their first long ride. There's enough time to enjoy the scenery, get off and walk a bit on the hills if you need, and even get a massage or a coffee on the way around. You'll get various views about how tough the hills are - I wasn't that fit for my first Argus, but managed to keep pedalling up all of them and came in a shade under 5 hours with several stops

Don't stay in Newlands, it will be difficult to get to the start and finish from there.

The Waterfront, Sea Point, Green Point, Camps Bay, Clifton or certain parts of the CBD would be your best option. The race starts in the CBD and finished about 4km away from that point in Greenpoint (outside the Cape Town World Cup stadium).

Don't want to be too pedantic but that isn't really correct. Sure, staying in the southern suburbs will mean you have to drive in, but it's, at most, a 15 minute easy drive on the day and finding parking is quite easy if you don't mind cycling a kilometre or two.

Newlands is a suburban area and besides the forest and kirstenbosch doesn't offer to much to tourists. Rather check out cbd, waterfront, close to the beach

Don't worry about the hills. Concentrate on your mileage and your bunch riding skills. It's gonna be your first Argus so enjoy the sights and sounds. You will be back for more.