Creaking bushes

igknot

I have a Giant Anthem.

I creaks like hell. It sounds like the frame is breaking. the upside is i dont have to warn anyone I am approaching.

I suspected the bushes on the rear suspension. Iconfirmed this by pouring a littie water on each of these. Then they go all quiet.

If I leave the bike to dry for a day or 2 the creaking is back.

Can I remedy by a drop of sewing machine oil on each joint or is this going to damage the bushes ?

I am not confident enough to take the whole rear off an grease every spot before sani.

Oil or not ?

Firsly I'd open the frame bearing covers and check all the bearings. Any rough bearings will reberb through the frame causing a creak. If you find a damaged bearing you can remove it easily by taping it out gently from the other side (giant frames have three grooves allowing a thin tool to be used to push out the bearing - eliminating the need for a bearing puller. Once the bearing is out - take it to your lbs and get a replacement. Then I'd use some clear grease on all the contact points on the Maestro suspension sysyem. Frequent pressure washes blow all the lubrication on those points.

This should resolve any issues you have.

Either your pivot bolts are loose or your bearings are shot. Either way, get it seen to before Sani - oil's not going to help you much.

Check your seat Post!! I've been hunting down my Anthem's creak and stripped all the pivots etc. onl;y to find the source of the creak to be the seatpost that get dirty from the bottom side...

It repeats itsself regularly and everytime i just yank the seat off and wipe with a rag...no more creak!!

Edited by Cassie

Firsly I'd open the frame bearing covers and check all the bearings. Any rough bearings will reberb through the frame causing a creak. If you find a damaged bearing you can remove it easily by taping it out gently from the other side (giant frames have three grooves allowing a thin tool to be used to push out the bearing - eliminating the need for a bearing puller. Once the bearing is out - take it to your lbs and get a replacement. Then I'd use some clear grease on all the contact points on the Maestro suspension sysyem. Frequent pressure washes blow all the lubrication on those points.

This should resolve any issues you have.

go to bearing man -it will be MUCH cheaper - I just replaced my two pivot bearings - they were shot - and it quietened down my bike -

Also as @cassie says - it could be your seat. I also took my seat off - undid everything sprayed it down with some oil and dried it again..then put it all back together - my ride is suddenly much quieter!

I opened it up. Taking photos as i went along. Crumbs for Hanzel and Grethal.

Bearings shot. 1/10 would be reusable. I blame wine2whales day 1

No amount of sewing machine oil would have helped.

I fashioned a bearing puller out of threaded rod and sockets. McGuyver music playing in my head.

LBS wanted R787 for the replacement bearings. Bearing man did not have any in stock.

Bearing Connection to the rescue R186.48.

Some of the savings will be spent on beer to give me confidence to finish the job.

I opened it up. Taking photos as i went along. Crumbs for Hanzel and Grethal.

Bearings shot. 1/10 would be reusable. I blame wine2whales day 1

No amount of sewing machine oil would have helped.

I fashioned a bearing puller out of threaded rod and sockets. McGuyver music playing in my head.

LBS wanted R787 for the replacement bearings. Bearing man did not have any in stock.

Bearing Connection to the rescue R186.48.

Some of the savings will be spent on beer to give me confidence to finish the job.

Was the R190 odd rand for all the bearings? Thats a good price! I was quoted R680 for a set excluding fitting (from a bike shop). That was for a Trance.

Was it difficult getting the old bearings out from the frame?

Edited by Mojoman

Was the R190 odd rand for all the bearings? Thats a good price! I was quoted R680 for a set excluding fitting (from a bike shop). That was for a Trance.

Was it difficult getting the old bearings out from the frame?

I would buy a bearing puller for the next round, they are fairly snug. But a threaded rod, and some assorted washers did the job just fine.

All 10 bearings for that price.

i'll post the codes when i get home

Check your seat Post!! I've been hunting down my Anthem's creak and stripped all the pivots etc. onl;y to find the source of the creak to be the seatpost that get dirty from the bottom side...

It repeats itsself regularly and everytime i just yank the seat off and wipe with a rag...no more creak!!

+1 but it seems to be a Giant problem in general

I would buy a bearing puller for the next round, they are fairly snug. But a threaded rod, and some assorted washers did the job just fine.

All 10 bearings for that price.

i'll post the codes when i get home

Post pichas!!

And, you DESERVE a BELLS!!! You can buy an entire bottle with all that money saved...

2 x 6902

4 x 6802

2 x 6900

2 X DDL1910

Finished it last night.

Test drive this morning. It feels like a new bike.

How the LBS did not pick it up when they did a check over service 2 weeks ago is beyond me.

Anyway. we all know if you really want to know what was done do it your self.

Now to get the wife to buy me a workstand for the big four oh.

2 x 6902

4 x 6802

2 x 6900

2 X DDL1910

Finished it last night.

Test drive this morning. It feels like a new bike.

How the LBS did not pick it up when they did a check over service 2 weeks ago is beyond me.

Anyway. we all know if you really want to know what was done do it your self.

Now to get the wife to buy me a workstand for the big four oh.

Go with a bearing puller set.... they are more expensive than stands... :)

Everything seems daunting the first time - after that, no worries.

I always use some copper paste when replacing the bearings - just makes the next round so much easier.

As for pulling the bearings and fitting new ones - this is where the guys from Salsa thought it through - the pivot bolt head is the same size as the inner side opening to the bearing - just take the bolt out, feed it through the other side bearing and knock it out. Same with replacing it - the outer washer is exactly the same size as the OD of the bearing. Put the new bearings on the bolt/shaft and start tightening - no problem.

One point - pivot bearings should be full complement because they don't do full revolutions, which means the grease doesn't get spread around like in wheel bearings. The extra balls also spread the load better. Bearing man sometimes have stock, but Enduro MAX are the best IMO. And they're not much more than the Bearing Man ones.

Go with a bearing puller set.... they are more expensive than stands... :)

For a bearing puller I used threaded rods and all sorts of washer that I would have thrown away if i cleaned the shed often enough.

Replacing the bearings I found sockets to be the bomb. They are the perfect size. as if some one made them for that purpose.

I can hide a bearing puller but not a stand.

Just kidding she is so nice I'll get both