Makro special !!

Shangri la

did 6 Argus's on a Makro special road bike many years ago when I was young and dumb (i.e a roadie). managed a 3.14 on that thing. lasted me 10 years without a single mechanical. only ever oiled the chain.

+1 . My Makro bike also did many Argus rides , and even the XC provincials in Paarl many years ago . It is still going strong and got all original parts still on it .

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha, ja, plenty of us, I would bet. My first MTB was a few grades above that, but a monstrosity nonetheless. It was called the Iron Pig, and for good reason. It gave me more than 10,000km of service before crossing over to the dark side.

Hmm, I also rode a monstrosity which was dubbed the "Blue Steel Frame of Pain" - for fairly obvious reasons. If a nuclear bomb was detonated the only things left would be cockroaches and the Blue Steel Frame of Pain :nuke:

Bought one of these Hyperama Specials way back. Fitted slicks and did quite a few races. One of these races the nut that should keep the crank arm secured to the crank came loose, stopped every few km's to tightened it by hand. One stage used a brick on the side of the road to hammer the arm further onto the crank just to finish the race. 2 years later bought my first Merida road bike.

did 6 Argus's on a Makro special road bike many years ago when I was young and dumb (i.e a roadie). managed a 3.14 on that thing. lasted me 10 years without a single mechanical. only ever oiled the chain.

:thumbup:

I started cycling on a 26" Dual suss Western Flier.

Told myself I don't need funny pants & shoes, and I'm not gonna get too serious about it. (where did it all go wrong?)

Trained for my first race and did it on that - the OFM classic - 110km.

Then I tried the 94.7 on it weeks later, but my cone bearings drilled into my hub.

Didn't have a saddle bag, but rode with a camel pack, pliers and a shifting spanner.

Don't know what you'll use the shocks for.

Just be sure to put in some tire liners, and slime in the tubes.

Guest notmyname

Admittedly, I too am an ex Macro/Game(memory failure) deluxe user. I did the 94,7 on that yellow rigid Peugeot mtb with knoblers. I'm Soooooo glad I realised that the road is for cars.

I brought one of these for my wife last year sometime (quick spontaneous buy) The only issue we have had are,the gears have never worked (cant change the front chain rings) and its to small for her. Lets just say,now I know abit more about bikes im getting her a new one maybe a titan

An absolute positive factor is no one will try to steal the thing. If you doing the Sani on it your quick release are safe man.

In the 90's we used MTB in the Tokai Mountains on 26' steel frame Avalanche Reflexes with no front shocks. Lot's of fun.

i did argus on a (brand spanking new) raleigh E100 once.

apart from the fact that it was 3 size too small, the one pedal bust going up smits. i forgot the #15 spanner so when the inevitablke puncture came going up chappies, i had to fix it in the tube, as couldn't get the wheel off.

was fun, but not really recommended

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h-Tx835tV_g/RfelqsVLRuI/AAAAAAAAAFU/zvhBHPFwZxI/s1600-h/IMG_5301.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h-Tx835tV_g/RfelqsVLRuI/AAAAAAAAAFU/zvhBHPFwZxI/s320/IMG_5301.jpg

edit. oh yes i put a milk crate and 6x9 speakers on it too. for effect boom boom boom

Edited by Shebeen

So I went to Makro to take the bike for a test ride this morning.

when can we expect a comprehensive written review, accompanied by high quality pictures?