Kilimanjaro-ing

In a similar vein to the Everesting challenge that seems to be popular in Aussie, something with an African flavour and a little more sane:

Kilimanjaro-ing - Ride to the top of Africa in a day. In a single ride climbing the equivalent of the height of the highest point on our continent. 5895 meters. It is something I am definitely not able to do at the moment but see as a cool goal. Something to train hard for.

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/strive/everesting-a-new-mountain-to-climb-for-cyclists-20140425-379ip.html

5895m - much less crazy, yes! Call it 6 times to the Mast in Tokai! Come to think, I still need something saner. Perhapsa Saffa version? Drakensberging anyone? Only 3450m. Perhaps a Capie version? Tafelberging, at a decent 1000m. Oh great, that's once to the Mast. I can do! :blush: ;)

Hmmm...I know two brothers or cousins did it a few years back. Now its not so easy. Tanzanian authorities are not allowing "other" forms of scaling kiliminjaro.

I am on a climb there in august. Will check it out.

;)

Hmmm...I know two brothers or cousins did it a few years back. Now its not so easy. Tanzanian authorities are not allowing "other" forms of scaling kiliminjaro.

I am on a climb there in august. Will check it out.

;)

I think we're talking equivalent ascent in meters, not actually riding up the mountain. I did a Kili hike two years ago, there's no way you'll ride to the summit on a bike.

I think we're talking equivalent ascent in meters, not actually riding up the mountain. I did a Kili hike two years ago, there's no way you'll ride to the summit on a bike.

I Understand.

However, it has been done before.

Two cousins, Dick and Nick Crane.

Rode up the mountain.

Check it out, its fascinating. Wait till you see the types of bikes they used.

Why not an intercontinental challenge - highest peak per continent?

I will start with Antarctica.... and NO, it's not flat...

The Vinson Massif.... just under 5000 m...

Ok, on second thoughts. Have been playing with gradients and lengths of climbs. Presume the info I've picked up here is correct.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/137539-steepest-hills-tread/page__st__16

To climb 5895m (Kilimanjaro) would take roughly 48 ascents of Suikerbosse or about 27 ascents of Fields Hill. (For those that know Comrades)

So moving on, a ride to the equivalent of the highest point in SA, Mafadi in the Berg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafadi

That changes the Suikerbosse ascents to about 28. Or using Ou Kaapse Weg from Silvermine to Tokai and back would require about 8 repeats. A more appealing route could include Ou Kaapse, Chappies and Suikerbosse (both sides). Think I have a long term goal...

• 1 year later...

Speaking of Everesting....

I saw a guy do an Everesting this past week.

Did his 8900m klim in just 87km.  Avg gradient 21%.

Hill was 800m long.

Nogal crazy stuff!!

Did his 8900m klim in just 87km.  Avg gradient 21%.

Hill was 800m long.

Nogal crazy stuff!!

er, so the 87km includes the downhill?!

Did his 8900m klim in just 87km. Avg gradient 21%.

Hill was 800m long.

Nogal crazy stuff!!

Wtf

Geez

Just doesn't have the same awesomeness to it, this Kili' business

A toughie for sure ????

Archived