Why cyclists should be able to roll through stop signs and ride through red lights

GaryvdM

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an eyewitness account from this morning.

Cyclists passes through amber traffic light (within his rights) he could not have stopped in time safely.

Taxi decides to interperet the rules of the road in his own way, and proceeds to roll through red light, on the left hand side of intersection, over painted island.

Narrowly misses cyclist.

This to me once again proves, that there is no room for individual, subjective interperetation of the law. Like stated earlier, this will tip over our already chaotic roads into complete anarchy. It's on a thin knife's edge already.

Do what other road users expect of you.

If there are no other road users around, like on a 5 AM Sunday morning LSD ride, then roll on.

I am just happy there is another thread on this issue. Because the last million hasn't covered any of this. :thumbup:

some people learn slowly.... others never learn....

Cyclists passes through amber traffic light (within his rights) he could not have stopped in time safely.

Taxi decides to interperet the rules of the road in his own way, and proceeds to roll through red light, on the left hand side of intersection, over painted island.

Narrowly misses cyclist.

This to me once again proves, that there is no room for individual, subjective interperetation of the law. Like stated earlier, this will tip over our already chaotic roads into complete anarchy. It's on a thin knife's edge already.

Which is why I'm trying to steer clear of having to road ride. A lot of road users in S.A. just simply appear to have no road sense or an ability to drive properly putting everyone else in jeopardy.

If there are no other road users around, like on a 5 AM Sunday morning LSD ride, then roll on.

Ack ack logic attack. Must say something controversial. Urgh urgh. Can't stand reason and common sense...

I say all cyclists should blow through all stops and robots because it allows them to travel faster using less energy as it says in the article.

All motorised vehicles should be allowed to do the same - it'll reduce green house gasses and slow down global warming.

I will always stop at a red traffic light but if it's safe I will pull away again and ride over it. My main reason for this riding style is not to be faster than the traffic, be a prick or believe myself above the law.

I would rather have people "think" i'm a considerate cyclist and stop and help than say I'm some jack@ss that got what was coming to him

Why is it ok for you to pull away and slowly ride over a red light when there is no oncoming traffic and not for the car or motorcycle next to you?

Maybe it's not your intention but you actually do believe you are above the law when you pick and choose when to obey it, and I promise you, there will be a motorist waiting at the red robot looking at you riding over the red light and be thinking - "what a prick, why cant he wait a few seconds like everybody else!" and not - "what a considerate cyclist..."

Narrowly misses cyclist.

Incorrect: To me this proves you cannot rely on other road users to keep yourself alive.

Options:

1. You go through a green light, but get taken out by someone jumping the red...

2. You stop at red light on the left hand side in yellow paint, and someone undertakes the queue of cars; or a truck turns sharp left...

3. You slow/yield and look both ways before every intersection... red or green... and then roll through as soon as its safe to do so.

In option one and two, I followed the rules, am in the right, but squashed... the other I'm wrong but arrive home in one piece.

Edited by Red_Zebra

And to clarify - I don't think I'm above the law. I know I should follow the rules, but I value my health more.

Ack ack logic attack. Must say something controversial. Urgh urgh. Can't stand reason and common sense...

I say all cyclists should blow through all stops and robots because it allows them to travel faster using less energy as it says in the article.

All motorised vehicles should be allowed to do the same - it'll reduce green house gasses and slow down global warming.

You crazy, Eldron.

:lol:

If there are no other road users around, like on a 5 AM Sunday morning LSD :eek: ride, then roll on.

are we back in the 60's ? :eek:

I'd agree that is it hypothetically OK for cyclists to yield at intersections.

However, the law is the law. Both here in the UK and in SA bicycles are subject to the same laws as cars, so I expect to follow the same laws. So for me, it's not about the practicality (what I 'can' do), but the regulations (what I 'may' do).

So, for example, if I see a cyclist in SA without a helmet, he is a law-breaking tjop. If I see a cyclist in the UK without a helmet, then it's his own problem (helmets are not a legal requirement in the UK).

Edited by jmaccelari

are we back in the 60's ? :eek:

LSD is an underrated PED that will increase your FTP

Edited by ' Dale

I say rules are rules and it must be obeyed at all times. Basta...

A stop is a stop and must be treated as such.

and you should pay tax and vote for the ruling party..........

I'm not convinced that all the rules of the roads even apply to cyclists. Can someone please post a link to a site that states the cycling applicable road rules.

Convinced or not, bicycles are controlled under the Road Traffic Act, No. 29 of 1989.

It's voracity is not what is being questioned, but rather whether the laws make sense for cyclists and whether people follow them or not.

Edited by thoughtforfood