Scott Spark 940 29" or Giant Anthem 29" ?

rackman

I'm in the market for a new 29" full suspension bike & I've narrowed down my choice down to the 2014 Scott Spark 940 & the Giant Anthem X1?

I'm 104kg, 184cm & am a roadie wanting to do some mtb, doing trails, logging tracks, non-technical stuff, distances averaging 50 - 100km's.

I'm asking hubbers out there what there views are on the two bikes & what you reckon would suit me most.

Your input would be appreciated. :drool:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't the Synchros wheels on the Scott bikes prone to folding upon impact?

Especially under normal (by South African standards) sized riders...

Guest dilldesigns

Giant X1 is your winner. I have ridden both, My neighbor has a Scott Spark 940 and my riding buddy has a Giant Anthem X1, the Scott is legit and does the job but the Giant with that Maestro suspension feels great and is a trail machine.

At the end of the day, these two bikes are not cheap, so take a weekend out and try both to see which feels better.

Edited by dilldesigns

If you shop around you will be able to get an Anthem X 29er 1 for around R25k which is great value. As an ex Spark rider who now rides an Anthem I have to agree, the Maestro suspension is a better design.

Picked up my X1 for R22500 in January ... The SLX and Deore XT comps are flawless and the suspension works awesome, I run it soft to get full travel though, but I only weigh 68kg ...

Next upgrade will certainly be new wheelset with tubeless, still running HEAVY slime inners

Edited by Kraggie

Giant defnitly, But I would recommend the Trance x 29 er 1. Reason: It has more travel, and at 100+ kg you still have reasonable usable travel, the frame is also slightly beefed up. My Dad-inlaw (97kg) has a 940, and the moment he sat on my trance, he got buyers remorse.

Giant defnitly, But I would recommend the Trance x 29 er 1. Reason: It has more travel, and at 100+ kg you still have reasonable usable travel, the frame is also slightly beefed up. My Dad-inlaw (97kg) has a 940, and the moment he sat on my trance, he got buyers remorse.

I'd recommend the Trance 275 over the 29er every day of the week and twice on Sundays

I have had both or atleast I now have the scott spark 910. The giant is a great bike but I don't like the shock design, I found mine prone to peddle bob which was a problem on climbing. With my scott which has the ability to set complete lock out (twinloc) I am in control of the setting at all times which I like.

In my opinion I found the Anthem to be more of a trail bike and the scott more of racing bike - you must decide which you prefer which means ride both and make a decision otherwise you will always wonder.

I have had both or atleast I now have the scott spark 910. The giant is a great bike but I don't like the shock design, I found mine prone to peddle bob which was a problem on climbing. With my scott which has the ability to set complete lock out (twinloc) I am in control of the setting at all times which I like.

In my opinion I found the Anthem to be more of a trail bike and the scott more of racing bike - you must decide which you prefer which means ride both and make a decision otherwise you will always wonder.

Nice reply.

Do you think this holds true for the 650b versions of both bikes?

That's more a function of the shock itself though rather than the suspension design.

Plus - on technical climbs you actually WANT a bit of movement on the rear to give you more traction...

Not all of us. I want my rear suspension as hard as possible when climbing, my brain on my Epic is set to hardest. I hate pedal bob. Different strokes hey.