Chain dropping with Shadow plus and RF n/w.

Headshot

I have complained before re dropped chains with my 1x10 set up. Its just got much worse which is strange because I rode and enduro without any problems last weekend.

I have started thinking about other options -

1. a short cage Zee derailleur

2. Csixx direct mount chain guide and

3 - a clutch service.

Apparently Shimano use a special friction grease in the clutch. All good options but in all three cases I cannot do anything yet becuase:

The Zees are only due in in July

Csixx has no stock with no ETA

Shimano agents have no grease

Do we live in a backwater or what? No wonder we go online. I can get a Zee here for less in a week from CRC.

As for the grease - any ideas on a replacement product. I must admit I am dubious about this fix...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PM jcmeyerSS..

He has a 1x10 shimano setup and havent dropped a chain yet.

Think he does have a zee DR..but no special wide narrow rings or tensioner system

Have you checked that the clutch is actually working - there is a clip that is known to break.

About the grease - its the mechanical parts that do the work not the grease - we have done repairs and just used general purpose grease and all is well. Broken part was replaced by Shimano.

I have heard of a few people dropping chains with a clutch RD and NW combo.

Super_mil (NW and X9 Type 2, medium cage I think) had issues with his because his chain had stretched laterally.

As for my setup, I run the NW with a bash guard and the Zee's bigger brother (The Saint Shadow Plus). I haven't had any issues yet. I think the cage length between the Zee and the Saint is similar. The Saint just allows one to run both gear ratio ranges with the simple addition of an "AM mode adapter" whereas the Zee has 2 models, dependant on what ratio range you want to run.

I have complained before re dropped chains with my 1x10 set up. Its just got much worse which is strange because I rode and enduro without any problems last weekend. I have started thinking about other options - 1. a short cage Zee derailleur 2. Csixx direct mount chain guide and 3 - a clutch service. Apparently Shimano use a special friction grease in the clutch. All good options but in all three cases I cannot do anything yet becuase: The Zees are only due in in July Csixx has no stock with no ETA Shimano agents have no grease Do we live in a backwater or what? No wonder we go online. I can get a Zee here for less in a week from CRC. As for the grease - any ideas on a replacement product. I must admit I am dubious about this fix...
Are you sure your chain is not too long?

+1, check chain length, but knowing you Headshot, it's probably cool.

I'm not convinced with the design of the RF NW chainring, the squarer profile of the XX1, Wolfstooth, and Rapide chainrings make way more sense.

My set up is still going well (I may of had mine before you, BUT you ride Way more than I do)

I've had issues with my setup too. Zee clutch RD, wolftooth chainring, chain as short as it can go.

Seems to be really intermittent, sometimes drops really easily, other time stays on through really rough stuff. My latest theory is that it might be caused by a small amount of chain suck when freewheeling causing slack at the top which allows the chain to bounce off from the top. Havent actually checked this yet, so just a theory for now.

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/shimano-m-786-xt-shadow-plus-clutch-lubrication-893724.html

According to this, the grease is just any old stuff or Shimano hub grease as Porqui says, so that's not going to fix it I don't think.

The clutch is not broken but feels less stiff when hand tested than it did initially. i'll check it out though and add grease if it looks dry as an experiment.

Chain is as short as I think it can be without stressing the derailleur spring too much...

http://forums.mtbr.c...ion-893724.html

According to this, the grease is just any old stuff or Shimano hub grease as Porqui says, so that's not going to fix it I don't think.

The clutch is not broken but feels less stiff when hand tested than it did initially. i'll check it out though and add grease if it looks dry as an experiment.

Chain is as short as I think it can be without stressing the derailleur spring too much...

Maybe its just your riding style

I have the xt with clutch and use both NV and longer tooth chainrings ala leonardi. ive gone out of my way to drom a chain and thus far no luck

I dont want to start a shimano vs. sram debate but I haven't had issues with my x9 type 2 and hear people complaining about the shadow+ stuff often. I really don't see why shimano has an on/off toggle for the clutch...can only complicate what should be a simple design.

I've had issues with my setup too. Zee clutch RD, wolftooth chainring, chain as short as it can go.

Seems to be really intermittent, sometimes drops really easily, other time stays on through really rough stuff. My latest theory is that it might be caused by a small amount of chain suck when freewheeling causing slack at the top which allows the chain to bounce off from the top. Havent actually checked this yet, so just a theory for now.

Have your freehub checked/serviced and check the tension of the derailleur

I dont want to start a shimano vs. sram debate but I haven't had issues with my x9 type 2 and hear people complaining about the shadow+ stuff often. I really don't see why shimano has an on/off toggle for the clutch...can only complicate what should be a simple design.

Personally I like the idea of being able to switch off the clutch and take the tension off the clutch mechanism. Also easier to change a wheel.

I know the type 2 has that little stopper to help, and it works well.

I went and did a bit of research around all of this for my new 1X10 build and i will post a short review once she's up and running, but decided to go for the short cage Zee with wide reach and the new Hope NW Retainer ring.

Haven't heard of anybody down here running the new Hope rings but looks to be the bees knees with much more of a distinct narrow-wide tooth pattern...also slightly lighter than the rest ;)

Oh and ordered it all from CRC...got an amazing deal on the Zee so should be arriving next week sometime

I have heard of type 2 clutches wearing out