Aggressive XC bike help

Stellies_gaz

Hi hubbers,

I've recently gotten into the MTB scene. My 1st event was a very wet and muddy Gravel Travel, but I loved every second of it! I currently ride a large 09 S-Works Stumpjumper. I love the bike, but I'm looking to get something newer before the value of this 26er depreciates completely. There are also days when I don't feel as if the bike is "mine" as I bought it second hand and it hasn't been set up to my spec as of yet.

Being 191cm and 103kg I also feel the large frame isn't as comfortable as an XL.

So here's my question. I'm looking for something that I can ride XC races on as well as the odd gravity enduro. I do a lot of riding in Jonkershoek, Eden and G-spot seeing as I study in Stellies. Factoring that in obviously means I'm on a student budget.

I've thought about it a lot and when describing a good climbing bike that is also a decent descender, one tends to revert straight back to the stumpy. It is the benchmark, but for some reason I just want something different.

I've looked at various options and the ones that stand out are the Giant Trance 650b and the Santa Cruz heckler. I love the sound of the heckler, but just curious as to availability within South Africa.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Gareth

I'm on a student budget.

the Santa Cruz heckler

That is a fat student budget :clap: haha

Everyone is currently saying trance if you want new.

I prefer, build up your own bike with sweet components, which usually turns out double as expensive as what you initially planned, haha

Haha I must have underestimated pricing then. Every review I've read talks about the Hecklers "competitive price bracket"; I'm guessing that doesn't translate yo the SA market. Nevertheless, I've asked for a quote. Will let you guys know.

Will look at the PYGA too. Local is lekker

Haha I must have underestimated pricing then. Every review I've read talks about the Hecklers "competitive price bracket"; I'm guessing that doesn't translate yo the SA market. Nevertheless, I've asked for a quote. Will let you guys know.

Will look at the PYGA too. Local is lekker

$3k+ in US for the entry level one with only deore components and rockshox sector, its going to be a bit more here.

Also dont write off hardtails, I hit all the trails you mentioned weekly on my hardtails, without any fuss and do most of the jumps. With a hardtail you'll also get nicer components, which you can always carry over to when you buy decide to buy a full-sus frame.

Fair enough. I definitely can't afford to pay over 30k right now. Haha might have to use some vac work contacts and work a little harder during our June/July break. Thanks for all the input guys

I have this exact problem. I am 1.87 but with long legs and I currently ride a L trance 26 that has been made quite light (<12kg) for xc etc. It is a little small for me so I'm considering my options but aggressive xc seems to be a dwindling class these days, esp now that the trance has gone 140mm. What do you guys think of using the new trance as a race bike?

I think you will have a lot of fun on a Trance 27.5 (rather than 29er), 140mm travel is maybe too much for XC. Trance 4 is not the best spec, but the fork and drivetrain is good (will last and be cheap to keep running). The Trance 3 is spec'ed a bit better, both of these should be around the R20k mark.

Have you have a look at the Silverback Slider (27.5 with 130mm travel), not sure about the price but I think I saw this at cycle lab for R22k (similar price as Trance 3). Pity that its not a 2x10 setup (not too fond of the triple front except if you spend lots of time

Pyga 27.5 is very nice (test drove one of these a while back), but I think its very much the same price as the Santa Cruz.

Not sure if 29er will be a lot of fun in enduro, but they are king for marathon (for which I think shorter travel is always better like the 80mm on the Momsen Vipa). If you go 29er, check the head angles, Giant Anthem is maybe too steep, but there are 29er Trances (older models), and the Silverback Sprada.

Dude. Keep the stumpy! the resale value on it has already tanked if its a 26er and an 09 model and replacing it with something of similar spec and ability new will cost you at least R30k.

rather spend a bit of cash on changing bits and making it yours. I changed the fork (Now have a 150mm revelation) widened the Bars and Shortened the stem, replaced the front chainrings with a narrow wide and got a dropper seatpost. Totally changed the feel of the bike and I love it. That bike of yours is super capable, uber light and amazing.

then, if you still have an itch for a new bike you have all these awesome bits that you can swap over onto a seriously sweet build.