CycleLab Fourways - Rip offs

schmoo

Guest Smimby

Does anyone have the contact details for Garmin in Cape Town or do I have to deal with Garmin JHB ? I have issues with my Edge 800 not picking up my heart rate monitor and the local agent at Camp and Climb tried his very best but couldn't fix the fault and no I didn't buy the unit from him either - he was just very helpful !

You can send it to CPT but they will send it to JHB anyway, it is just cheaper to send it to Cape Town....just check the Garmin site. All details are there

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the Garmin rep goes past the Cyclelab store more than once a month?

He would have been able to pick up the faulty unit and take it back to the technicians for zero charge.

I think that a someone was trying to get a sale by thumbsucking a huge repair fee, and then offering an upgrade instead.

Good argument...but its not quite as simple as that...here is where it gets grey

Did he buy the unit to start with at the lab(do you take your merc to a bmw dealership to use your analogy)

Cars can be fixed...most of these units gets replaced...since they closed sealed units.

Also if it can only be fixed in Germany, why did you set yourself up for that headache....(only garmin can fix or replace the unit)

Now we are comparing apples with apples

Let's say he did buy it at CycleLab. The situation would've been exactly the same?

Let's say he did buy it at CycleLab. The situation would've been exactly the same?

Ok I will bite, but only cause its friday

Not in my books...see cyclelab didn't profit from said transaction so why should they have to service and incur costs by solving his problem. You don't buy a Sony TV from makro and expect Hi-Fi corp to solve your faulty unit....you take it back to makro.

The problem here, and this is my point is two fold really

Those units are not designed to be serviced or components replaced like a battery(which is good and bad...but lets leave that there)....This isn't the lab's fault, this is garmin's design...the guy bought the unit like that. If something goes wrong on these units, garmin almost always offers a replacement / upgrade option at cost price to the customer...

Garmin doesn't have the best reputation ito client service in south africa...hence the customer waiting the time he did and getting the quote he did...again not the lab's fault...

It is what it is....great product(I love my little edge 500) but when the pawpaw hits the fan, you are on your own ito troubleshooting.

Edited by rouxtjie

Does anyone have the contact details for Garmin in Cape Town or do I have to deal with Garmin JHB ? I have issues with my Edge 800 not picking up my heart rate monitor and the local agent at Camp and Climb tried his very best but couldn't fix the fault and no I didn't buy the unit from him either - he was just very helpful !

Contact Taryn @ Global Marine Systems 021 5551574, had the same problem and they sorted it out.

What can I say

Previously when the service desk was run by Garmin, service was awesome.

It has now been outsourced to Navworld, and my view, it sucks.

My wives E500 battery seems to be faulty, I'll charge it full, put it in drawer, and if used a week later it dies after 1.5/2 hours,

Previously I would simply have gone into Garmin and known they would have resolved this at no cost to me, this is clearly a factory/unit fault (unit maybe 1.5 yrs old), Now if I got I'm looking at R1500 at min, to swap out/replace the unit, to fix their fault,

I'm actually looking at getting myself the 510 because I need the navigation feature, but at the same time, damm, wish there was another method so that I don't have to deal with Navworld down the line.

G

Not in my books...see cyclelab didn't profit from said transaction so why should they have to service and incur costs by solving his problem. You don't buy a Sony TV from makro and expect Hi-Fi corp to solve your faulty unit....you take it back to makro.

Those units are not designed to be serviced or components replaced like a battery(which is good and bad...but lets leave that there)....This isn't the lab's fault, this is garmin's design...the guy bought the unit like that. If something goes wrong on these units, garmin almost always offers a replacement / upgrade option at cost price to the customer...

Garmin doesn't have the best reputation ito client service in south africa...hence the customer waiting the time he did and getting the quote he did...again not the lab's fault...

It is what it is....great product(I love my little edge 500) but when the pawpaw hits the fan, you are on your own ito troubleshooting.

I'm really just asking out of interest!

I'm going to rephrase my question, because I think it was kind of misunderstood. If he bought the Garmin at CycleLab two years ago, CycleLab would not have known about it even thought they profited. In any case, it shouldn't be a requirement to take on a job?

I guess the Garmin model is a bit different than normal in the sense that you can go directly to Garmin even though they don't have a shop front and use the current cycle and other shops as their distribution points. I don't know which is better, because it creates confusion regarding where you should go (as illustrated by this thread).

Good to hear you "found" your Edge 500 again

I'm going to rephrase my question, because I think it was kind of misunderstood. If he bought the Garmin at CycleLab two years ago, CycleLab would not have known about it even thought they profited. In any case, it shouldn't be a requirement to take on a job?

I guess the Garmin model is a bit different than normal in the sense that you can go directly to Garmin even though they don't have a shop front and use the current cycle and other shops as their distribution points. I don't know which is better, because it creates confusion regarding where you should go (as illustrated by this thread).

I think it is a requirement...but anyway. Lets play devil's advocate and say he did buy it at the lab....its still garmin's lack of support and the design of their products that is to blame here. He would have gotten the same service from any lbs...the quote he got was probably for a replacement unit and some admin fees(courier etc) to get the broken unit to garmin to diagnose and courier replacement one back.

The fact that he came right at garmin is just more egg on their face imo...why didn't they diagnose it right the first time round...how come some tech could fix it after he went directly to them.

Good to hear you "found" your Edge 500 again

I bought one after I lost mine....somewhere at VG. Again I love my little 500, but the local support for the device is not the best.

You can send it to CPT but they will send it to JHB anyway, it is just cheaper to send it to Cape Town....just check the Garmin site. All details are there

Thanx - I'll get onto it !

Contact Taryn @ Global Marine Systems 021 5551574, had the same problem and they sorted it out.

Thanx I'm definately going to give them a shout !

Out of interest, have you tried to see if any other Garmin HR strap can be picked up or does it not see any HR strap at all?

Didn't pick up a brand new strap or mine so it looks like the unit is faulty ?

Garmin does have a shop front, it is run by Navworld now at their new service centre, use to be done all by THEM (when things were still good).

Navworld have a new location (can't recall where now), so does Garmin (Rosebank)

G