CycleLab Fourways - Rip offs

schmoo

Have you ever bought a TV or stove at Makro (or any other store for that matter). If something goes wrong with it, Makro will not do the repair. They will send it to the authorised service agent.

To be fair to Cycle Lab, they don't do Garmin repairs. I'm pretty sure they don't have an electronics expert on site to repair electronic devices.

Cycle Lab would have sent the unit to Garmin,or their approved agent, for the quote and repair (and may have charged a handling fee). The 4 week delay might have been at the hands of the agent and the high quote may also have been at the hands of the agent.

Before flaming Cycle Lab, it might be a good idea to find the origins of the quote and 4 week delay first.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever bought a TV or stove at Makro (or any other store for that matter). If something goes wrong with it, Makro will not do the repair. They will send it to the authorised service agent.

To be fair to Cycle Lab, they don't do Garmin repairs. I'm pretty sure they don't have an electronics expert on site to repair electronic devices.

Cycle Lab would have sent the unit to Garmin,or their approved agent, for the quote and repair (and may have charged a handling fee). The 4 week delay might have been at the hands of the agent and the high quote may also have been at the hands of the agent.

Before flaming Cycle Lab, it might be a good idea to find the origins of the quote and 4 week delay first.

Boom....and that is the bottomline. This is a half truth post by a guy that came here with a sole purpose of discrediting the labrats....not cricket!!!

I doubt Cyclelab will repair an item such as this, as mentioned more likely sent to Garmin or rather NavWorld who are the service providers and quote would have come from them.

Agree and disagree

If cycle lab chooses to use the agent that will charge this much and also charge for items that is not needed ie new battery, they do deserve to be flamed as they are an entry point to the customer. And they are taking the responsibility to deliver the service to the client.

If they can't they should rather rather say "Sorry our agent will charge you ridiculous prices, please take it to garmin yourself" or suffer the their wrath.

Agree and disagree

If cycle lab chooses to use the agent that will charge this much and also charge for items that is not needed ie new battery, they do deserve to be flamed as they are an entry point to the customer. And they are taking the responsibility to deliver the service to the client.

If they can't they should rather rather say "Sorry our agent will charge you ridiculous prices, please take it to garmin yourself" or suffer the their wrath.

Nail on the head! Don't take in repairs if you are unable to repair them. Tell the customer exactly that and then let the customer decide. Don't decide for the customer!

I have a garmin sportswatch, gave me some problems so I went to Cape Union Mart as I know they sell them, Cape Union Mart told me to send it to Garmin HQ would cost money and also it will be better if I work directly with Garmin. Which I did.

It depends on the after market service, I know some stores do not stock Garmin because of issues with after market service.

Thus it all depends on the shop and whether they can give you all the detail and pro's and con's.

Maybe CL tried do you a favour by sending it in, remember they have to courier it to Garmin. And if still under warranty no one else may work on your Garmin other than Garmin, which I am sure CL knows as well.

Just my 2c.

Edited by Penansie

Agree and disagree

What if the agent is garmin themselves....so the lab must take the wrap for incorrect diagnostic by one of garmin's repair techies...over and above

They must get the unit to garmin and back. So how are they going to recover those costs.

I have a garmin sportswatch, gave me some problems so I went to Cape Union Mart as I know they sell them, Cape Union Mart told me to send it to Garmin HQ would cost money and also it will be better if I work directly with Garmin. Which I did.

It depends on the after market service, I know some stores do not stock Garmin because of issues with after market service.

Thus it all depends on the shop and whether they can give you all the detail and pro's and con's.

Maybe CL treid do you a favour by sending it in, remember they have to courier it to Garmin. And if still under warranty no one else may work on your Garmin other than Garmin, which I am sure CL knows as well.

Just my 2c.

Good post and worth more than 2c :thumbup:

Agree and disagree

Cyclelab have no choice, the official repairer for Jhb and surrounds is Navworld.

Guest Smimby

MOST garmin devices is sealed and you can not replace the battery, so Garmin offers a "replacement unit" or Upgrade

We are not getting the whole story here.....the cost could have been for and upgrade and it "could" be that CL"thought that the situation will need to go that way hence the "quote"

I find it interesting that the OP does not state the unit model....

also could not google it but has enought IT savy to come post here?

What if the agent is garmin themselves....so the lab must take the wrap for incorrect diagnostic by one of garmin's repair techies...over and above

They must get the unit to garmin and back. So how are they going to recover those costs.

By your argument if you buy a dud bmw you must go to bmw in germany, because the guy in sandton is only a dealer. If you buy spolied food at woolies you must go to the farmer.

I don't agree.

If you are the front to the public, you should take all the responsibility of whatever happens behind the scenes.

By your argument if you buy a dud bmw you must go to bmw in germany, because the guy in sandton is only a dealer. If you buy spolied food at woolies you must go to the farmer.

I don't agree.

If you are the front to the public, you should take all the responsibility of whatever happens behind the scenes.

Good argument...but its not quite as simple as that...here is where it gets grey

Did he buy the unit to start with at the lab(do you take your merc to a bmw dealership to use your analogy)

Cars can be fixed...most of these units gets replaced...since they closed sealed units.

Also if it can only be fixed in Germany, why did you set yourself up for that headache....(only garmin can fix or replace the unit)

Now we are comparing apples with apples

Good argument...but its not quite as simple as that...here is where it gets grey

Did he buy the unit to start with at the lab(do you take your merc to a bmw dealership to use your analogy)

Cars can be fixed...most of these units gets replaced...since they closed sealed units.

Also if it can only be fixed in Germany, why did you set yourself up for that headache....(only garmin can fix or replace the unit)

Now we are comparing apples with apples

Grey or Fake?

Grey or Fake?

whahahha neither

I hear andydude's argument, its just that, that etopia scenario in which there is an onsite technician for every single product they stock in the shop will remain in la-la land...it simply won't happen. Garmin and only Garmin can diagnose and fix Garmin units....blaming the lab isn't cricket.

I am not one of their club members and neither do I have any interest in their shop...its just not fair. Here is what think happened

Guy walks into the lab with garmin and wants it fixed

Lab says they will send to garmin since they are the only ones that can diagnose and fix...this takes 4 weeks so client's patience is running thin, yet not the Lab to blame

Lab gets unit back and based on Garmin's diagnoses...its fubar and needs replacement, like many other garmin users have experience ito paying in to upgrade since those units are commonly not fixable

Guy says stuff you Lab and goes directly to the same Garmin that made that diagnoses but this time a more clued up techie does X-Y-Z and its working again

Guy thinks its the Lab that is a bunch of palookas, meanwhile back at the ranch its garmin, so he comes to the Hub to try and smear their name

The hub sees through this BS since most of them have garmins and know the process inside out.

End van prent

Credits roll

Does anyone have the contact details for Garmin in Cape Town or do I have to deal with Garmin JHB ? I have issues with my Edge 800 not picking up my heart rate monitor and the local agent at Camp and Climb tried his very best but couldn't fix the fault and no I didn't buy the unit from him either - he was just very helpful !

Does anyone have the contact details for Garmin in Cape Town or do I have to deal with Garmin JHB ? I have issues with my Edge 800 not picking up my heart rate monitor and the local agent at Camp and Climb tried his very best but couldn't fix the fault and no I didn't buy the unit from him either - he was just very helpful !

Out of interest, have you tried to see if any other Garmin HR strap can be picked up or does it not see any HR strap at all?